Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 scca cam rules - are published yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:02 PM
SargeZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eric1855
Not at Nationals, he switched at the Invitational but stayed in the C3 all days at Nats
Ah that's right.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Eric - rumor has it that you have a killer motor now. Are you and Shawn trying to inflict more pain on your fellow CAMmers?
Old 01-30-2017, 02:02 PM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokones
Eric - rumor has it that you have a killer motor now. Are you and Shawn trying to inflict more pain on your fellow CAMmers?
I've turned up the wick a bit on the power. I don't want to feel left behind when we do get chances to open it up some like in Peru.

Shawn, though, will be back in his car this year he has a FP Miata. He co-drove with me last year as his car was still under construction.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by SargeZ06
They all had to run the same conditions.

No one is saying make a separate class. They should be in CAM-T.

Anyways they won't show up when they are running against ABS and 40+ years newer suspension technology. There isn't a reality where that makes sense.

Perhaps that's the intent.
Running in drying conditions is not running in the same conditions. On the third runs each car finishing was in better conditions than the car before them but, that is racing.

The subject of the C3 and older Corvettes was discussed at the Town Hall meeting last year at Nationals and running them in CAM-T was also kicked around. The result of this subject, there was a lot of opposition from the CAM-T group because of the IRS and it is a two-seater car in a four-seater class, with the exception of the Pickup Truck.

This subject is not a dead. They (SCCA) will consider a class split if the C2 & C3 Corvettes show up and justify the split. The C3 can be and are competitive if it is setup right and of course if it has the right driver.

Popp and Johnson can and to make the C3 Corvette very competitive and Hobaugh can make a C2 very competitive. Richard Jung and Tom Kammen were competitive in Richard's C3 and Richard is still dialing his car. Casey Cronin is also getting his C3 very competitive.

The Cam program essentially does not have any performance limiting rules so any car can be competitive in any of the CAM class if you're willing to do everything possible to make it competitive, and learn how to drive it accordingly.

In my opinion, there are no legitimate excuses in not being competitive in CAM. Some C2 and C3 drivers do not want to compete with the C4 and newer Corvettes because of the ABS and newer technology. That is not a valid excuse. The rules do allow you to do anything you want with the suspension and you can add ABS, if you want. You can also put a C2 body on a C6 suspension with a LS7 kick butt motor. I know a guy who did that and he was faster than most C5 & C6 drivers with his very old C2 Corvette and yes, it had ABS.

CAM is not about running a car with stock parts. It is about modifying your car to the full extent with Go-Fast stuff and competing with other hotrods that were modified to the full extent with Go-Fast stuff.

Last year, the C5 Corvette took home the title trophies in both the Invitational and the Solo Nationals. That means that if I am going to take home the title trophies with my very old C4 Corvette, I need to step up my game not only with the car, which I have made several changes throughout the winter, also my driving.

I may have a lot of work to do in order to run and keep up with the C5 & C6 Corvettes but, that is what CAM is all about. I will make my C4 work to beat those guys. You guys better look out.

Last edited by Nokones; 01-30-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:07 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by eric1855
I've turned up the wick a bit on the power. I don't want to feel left behind when we do get chances to open it up some like in Peru.

Shawn, though, will be back in his car this year he has a FP Miata. He co-drove with me last year as his car was still under construction.
I am looking forward to CAMming with you this year. I would like to make it to Peru but, since I live in California and after getting home from Peru, I would only have a few days in between taking off for Nationals. I wish the Peru CAM event was in July.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:04 PM
SargeZ06
Burning Brakes

And any CAM-T car can drop their body on a custom chassis and gap a C3. Like some Malibu's are doing currently with C5 gear. I guess when they start dominating CAM-T will want them excluded or push for a rule change requiring factory frames?

By that standard we only need one class.

I've had this conversation with Danny and Junior and they will tell you, as they have me, that C3s don't belong in CAM-S.

I appreciate your opinion but respectfully disagree.

Yes a C3 is IRS but the upper control control arm is it's half shaft. Not an ideal design by any standard.

My dog in the fight is I have both a Z06 and C3 and I know one of thing not like the others...
Old 01-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Saddletan
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I plan to run CAM-S in a C2 in 2018, but first I'm tightening the nut behind the wheel using a Viper in AS. I'll run the C2 at some PCA events this year. I'd run a few SCCA AXes this year but my tires would put me into SSM or BP maybe. Hoping for more sizes in 200 TW for 2018.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:36 PM
Saddletan
Pro

I know of one C2 BP converting to CAM-S next season.

Last edited by Saddletan; 01-30-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:10 AM
65BSPCORVETTE
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Running in drying conditions is not running in the same conditions. On the third runs each car finishing was in better conditions than the car before them but, that is racing.

The subject of the C3 and older Corvettes was discussed at the Town Hall meeting last year at Nationals and running them in CAM-T was also kicked around. The result of this subject, there was a lot of opposition from the CAM-T group because of the IRS and it is a two-seater car in a four-seater class, with the exception of the Pickup Truck.

This subject is not a dead. They (SCCA) will consider a class split if the C2 & C3 Corvettes show up and justify the split. The C3 can be and are competitive if it is setup right and of course if it has the right driver.

Popp and Johnson can and to make the C3 Corvette very competitive and Hobaugh can make a C2 very competitive. Richard Jung and Tom Kammen were competitive in Richard's C3 and Richard is still dialing his car. Casey Cronin is also getting his C3 very competitive.

The Cam program essentially does not have any performance limiting rules so any car can be competitive in any of the CAM class if you're willing to do everything possible to make it competitive, and learn how to drive it accordingly.

In my opinion, there are no legitimate excuses in not being competitive in CAM. Some C2 and C3 drivers do not want to compete with the C4 and newer Corvettes because of the ABS and newer technology. That is not a valid excuse. The rules do allow you to do anything you want with the suspension and you can add ABS, if you want. You can also put a C2 body on a C6 suspension with a LS7 kick butt motor. I know a guy who did that and he was faster than most C5 & C6 drivers with his very old C2 Corvette and yes, it had ABS.

CAM is not about running a car with stock parts. It is about modifying your car to the full extent with Go-Fast stuff and competing with other hotrods that were modified to the full extent with Go-Fast stuff.

Last year, the C5 Corvette took home the title trophies in both the Invitational and the Solo Nationals. That means that if I am going to take home the title trophies with my very old C4 Corvette, I need to step up my game not only with the car, which I have made several changes throughout the winter, also my driving.

I may have a lot of work to do in order to run and keep up with the C5 & C6 Corvettes but, that is what CAM is all about. I will make my C4 work to beat those guys. You guys better look out.

SCCA messed up CAM-S from the very beginning and is yet to correct it. Sorry, but a Cobra or kit version does not belong. Corvettes do not belong on CAM-T. There could be a nice C2-C3 Corvette class but as long as the C4+ Corvettes are in the same class, you will not see my C2 out there over my C5 if I am trying to win.

Brian

Last edited by 65BSPCORVETTE; 01-31-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:35 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by SargeZ06
And any CAM-T car can drop their body on a custom chassis and gap a C3. Like some Malibu's are doing currently with C5 gear. I guess when they start dominating CAM-T will want them excluded or push for a rule change requiring factory frames?

By that standard we only need one class.

I've had this conversation with Danny and Junior and they will tell you, as they have me, that C3s don't belong in CAM-S.

I appreciate your opinion but respectfully disagree.

Yes a C3 is IRS but the upper control control arm is it's half shaft. Not an ideal design by any standard.

My dog in the fight is I have both a Z06 and C3 and I know one of thing not like the others...
CAM did start out as one class. As CAM grew, it was decided to have three classes, one for modern muscle, one for older muscle, and one for sports cars.

CAM will grow and I hope it does.

Also discussed at the Town Hall meeting was a class for the Ladies and the a class for the light cars in addition to a possible class for the C3 and older Corvettes.

That is why I would like to see more C3 and older Corvettes come out in order to help justify the split. The more the better for CAM.

I think if the numbers grow for the C2 & C3 Corvettes, a separate class would be a great thing for CAM. I don't think we will see many C1 Corvettes come out but, if they do, maybe CAM-T would be the appropriate class for them since, they have a live axle rear diff. At least that would be a great place to start and see what happens

Mike Johnson and I had that very same conversation last year. I haven't talked to Danny about this subject.

No problem with disagreeing. The different point of views is great for the good.

It is almost CAM time and I am looking forward to hang out with all the Kool CAMmers again this year. So, lets get CAMming.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:27 PM
Saddletan
Pro

I don't see any C2/3 being faster than a well prepared C5/6. But if someone can get one down to 2450 lb then you never know. I will say how can a car built after the millennium be considered a "classic" right now? CAM-SV perhaps?
Old 01-31-2017, 02:17 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Saddletan
I don't see any C2/3 being faster than a well prepared C5/6. But if someone can get one down to 2450 lb then you never know. I will say how can a car built after the millennium be considered a "classic" right now? CAM-SV perhaps?
I know of one being built right now that will be faster than any C5/C6 unless that car is also built to this same level. I see this car putting an end to the "do whatever you want on street tires" thinking in CAM/OUSCI/etc.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:30 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mattastick
I know of one being built right now that will be faster than any C5/C6 unless that car is also built to this same level. I see this car putting an end to the "do whatever you want on street tires" thinking in CAM/OUSCI/etc.
Uh oh, we have a "I know a guy that knows a guy that's building something but it's top secret so I can't say anything about" post... just kidding.

I know of a c2 thats being built right now, that probably isn't the one your talking about that's gonna be pretty badass as well. Being built by someone not in the know for Corvettes but is a good chassis builder that knows how to make a car handle and can drive with the best of them. I believe it's making its internet debut this week and I'll update the post once it does.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:37 PM
65BSPCORVETTE
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chetly
Uh oh, we have a "I know a guy that knows a guy that's building something but it's top secret so I can't say anything about" post... just kidding.

I know of a c2 thats being built right now, that probably isn't the one your talking about that's gonna be pretty badass as well. Being built by someone not in the know for Corvettes but is a good chassis builder that knows how to make a car handle and can drive with the best of them. I believe it's making its internet debut this week and I'll update the post once it does.
I know that guy! I know another guy that is doing one also!
Old 01-31-2017, 05:17 PM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 01-31-2017, 07:41 PM
Nokones
Drifting

I am LMAO with Eric's response.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:46 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by chetly

Chet - Is that the same car that is sitting on the rack at that shop on Research Dr.?

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 scca cam rules - are published yet?

Old 01-31-2017, 07:55 PM
SargeZ06
Burning Brakes

I've a ways to go with my build but I could be motivated to move faster if C3s were classed better...
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Chet - Is that the same car that is sitting on the rack at that shop on Research Dr.?
yes
Old 01-31-2017, 08:43 PM
Saddletan
Pro

Quick Reply: 2017 scca cam rules - are published yet?