Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo R888R

Old 05-27-2017, 04:50 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 532 Posts

But half the issue is the tire come out passed the fender. Looks a little off road for me.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:39 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANS DAMM
No. Lowered on the factory bolts
That could be the reason you rub, and others don't.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:47 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

I'm rubbing when I turn not on bumps. Either way the rubbing isint the major issue. It's the tire sticking past the top of the fender.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:38 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by wtb-z
Has anybody put track days on these yet?

The old R888, in my experience, was

* Not fast on the first heat cycle
* Fast on the second heat cycle
* Fairly hard fall off after that, bad by 1/2 tread, stone dead after 2/3rds tread
* Marshmellowy when new, indifferent when old
* Hard to pin down the right tire pressures on

Wondering on what is new and what is different, if anything.

not exactly apples to apples, but I have 20 track sessions on my 205/50/15 R888R's in my track integra. So far I really like them. They are prob 50% tread left. I do not feel them getting slower yet. I did have them heat cycled by tire rack so I hope that helps them last a little longer. My last session today was a steady rain and I was pretty impressed. It was my first time in the rain/wet and It was a lot more fun then I expected.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:33 AM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

does anyone think the dimension of the tire will change when mounted? right now the older 888 unmounted is significantly wider then the new R (mounted) which is the opposite of what others are experiencing and the over diameter seems smaller on the older 888 which is a good thing but again the tire is unmounted/ not inflated. I cant get to the tire guy to swap them out till tomm so trying to gets some ideas before I go. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2017, 10:16 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I tend to think tires, at the tread change very little when mounted. But then you have tires that are way too wide for the wheels imo so it certainly might pinch them down.

What I can say with certainty is that both my front 275 (on 10" wheels) and rear 345 (on 12" wheels) R888R were 100% wider than my previous R888s.

The 345s were right at 5/8" wider total, so when looking at protrusion, you only get half that on the outside. The fronts I didn't measure but were also wider, but by a lesser amount.

I'm going to assume that just buying a slightly smaller tire isn't an option because of your 19" front wheels limiting options? The rubbing seems like it can be easily cured by raising your car a smidgeon and/ or smoothing out that corner up in your fender that seems to be rubbing from a previous photo you posted. That's an easy fix.

As fas as the protrusion, just add front camber. Just -.5 of a degree more will move the top of the tire in 1/2" You can also remove the washers from behind the top of the A arms to shift the entire wheel in a bit more (in addition to adding negative camber).

I'd also suggest buying a lifetime alignment from Firestone (do they have those up there?) because every time you make an adjustment your alignment can be effected.

One other option, a totally different tire that offers different sizes and just doesn't run so big. Where you live and the cold weather much of the year I'd think you'd want more of an all around tire.

Good luck!

PS. Something weird happened the other day to me on my car with the R888rs. My car completely hooked up in 1st gear! That never happens.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 05-28-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:46 AM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I tend to think tires, at the tread change very little when mounted. But then you have tires that are way too wide for the wheels imo so it certainly might pinch them down.

What I can say with certainty is that both my front 275 (on 10" wheels) and rear 345 (on 12" wheels) R888R were 100% wider than my previous R888s.

The 345s were right at 5/8" wider total, so when looking at protrusion, you only get half that on the outside. The fronts I didn't measure but were also wider, but by a lesser amount.

I'm going to assume that just buying a slightly smaller tire isn't an option because of your 19" front wheels limiting options? The rubbing seems like it can be easily cured by raising your car a smidgeon and/ or smoothing out that corner up in your fender that seems to be rubbing from a previous photo you posted. That's an easy fix.

As fas as the protrusion, just add front camber. Just -.5 of a degree more will move the top of the tire in 1/2" You can also remove the washers from behind the top of the A arms to shift the entire wheel in a bit more (in addition to adding negative camber).

I'd also suggest buying a lifetime alignment from Firestone (do they have those up there?) because every time you make an adjustment your alignment can be effected.

One other option, a totally different tire that offers different sizes and just doesn't run so big. Where you live and the cold weather much of the year I'd think you'd want more of an all around tire.

Good luck!

PS. Something weird happened the other day to me on my car with the R888rs. My car completely hooked up in 1st gear! That never happens.
Thanks for the info! Im going to mount the 888 tomm and hope for the best. either way it needs to be aligned so maybe I can have them bring it in. what camber are you running? any pics? Thanks Again!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I chose my alignment on balancing some track days, and aggressive street driving considering the handling traits of a rear wheel drive sports car, but also a little bit with looks in mind cause I wanted the tires to sit a certain way. At a wear rate I could live with. I'm currently around -2.2 up front and something like -1.3 in the rear.

And it looks and handles great currently.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyo R888R