Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Sway Bars on 2012 GS - Are Adjustable End Links Required?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Upgrading Sway Bars on 2012 GS - Are Adjustable End Links Required?

I've researched this for several days, and haven't really found a solid answer.

I'm planning to upgrade my F&R bars to LG G1 bars (car info is below). Can I just use the updated GM end links, PN 20822934 rather than adjustable end links?

Avoiding any clunking noise is extremely important, and the LG quite end links (and the aFe Pfadt J'O end links) have some reports of noise, although many are happy with them. And there's long threads on making your own adjustable end links with better heim joint materials to avoid grit wear in joint, so it's a valid concern.

Do I need adjustable links? I do not desire to set any preload.

The car is currently street only, possible future HPDE/autocross stuff.

2012 M6 GS, 10k mi., Michelin PSS (non-run flats), mag ride, S/C w/537whp,

Ride quality low priority - Lack of any noise HIGH priority. I have to take driveways/speed bumps diagonally due to ride height.

PS I have full 3" ZR1 exhaust and will need room for that...

TIA!

Last edited by Chiselchst; 11-13-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:00 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
I've researched this for several days, and haven't really found a solid answer.

I'm planning to upgrade my F&R bars to LG G1 bars (car info is below). Can I just use the updated GM end links, PN 20822934 rather than adjustable end links?

Avoiding any clunking noise is extremely important, and the LG quite end links (and the aFe Pfadt J'O end links) have some reports of noise, although many are happy with them. And there's long threads on making your own adjustable end links with better heim joint materials to avoid grit wear in joint, so it's a valid concern.

Do I need adjustable links? I do not desire to set any preload.
The car is currently street only, possible future HPDE/autocross stuff.

2012 M6 GS, 10k mi., Michelin PSS (non-run flats), mag ride, S/C w/537whp,

Ride quality low priority - Lack of any noise HIGH priority. I have to take driveways/speed bumps diagonally due to ride height.

PS I have full 3" ZR1 exhaust and will need room for that...

TIA!

Only if and when you corner balance the car. Then you will need them
The following users liked this post:
Chiselchst (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

While it is best to cornerbalance the car with the sway bars removed and then use adjustable end links to keep the bar preload to a minimum, that doesn't mean you can't do it that way and that it won't work.

All it means is that there could be a bit of preload in the bar and this really isn't a big deal.

If noise is a priority just go with the stock end links and if you want you can even corner weight it that way. Not perfect but better than not doing it.

As an aside Danny Popp corner weighted my car and the sway bar end links were the same length in the front and I could have used the sock end links either way. I've still got the adjustable links with the boots on them and they're still quiet, so there's lots of ways to skin the cat..
Chiselchst (11-13-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 04:22 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, that answers my question

While here, can I ask how much room there is around the mufflers with the LG G1 bars? I think I read an * stating (from LG), that mufflers might requiring modification? I have full ZR1 exhaust & ZR1 Corsa muffs...

What is the difference in room between bars/mufflers of stock GS bars and G1 bars?

Thanks folks!
Old 11-15-2016, 10:55 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
Thanks, that answers my question

While here, can I ask how much room there is around the mufflers with the LG G1 bars? I think I read an * stating (from LG), that mufflers might requiring modification? I have full ZR1 exhaust & ZR1 Corsa muffs...

What is the difference in room between bars/mufflers of stock GS bars and G1 bars?

Thanks folks!
It's likely the bars will touch the stock mufflers, but there shouldn't be any issues. I "massaged" my mufflers with a ball peen hammer to make them clear more before going to Burns Stainless exhaust.

If you don't have stock mufflers then you should be OK.
Chiselchst (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 08:26 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Are they required? NO

However: While I really like my LG bars which are just pretty purple T1 bars. I have to question their use on a street only car on street tires. You will actually give up a bit of mechanical grip due to the extremely stiff bars & using stock bushings just shift the load to them.

Mine hit my stock mufflers but was able to create a bit of clearance using worm clamps on the muffler mounts.
Chiselchst (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 08:36 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I run Moog end links on the passenger side and adjustable links on the driver's side. Far less costly and does the same job.
Chiselchst (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 09:48 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm running LG sway bars with Z06 mufflers and they do not hit but they are close. Adjustable endlinks are great quality on the LG kit, it took a bit of effort and configuration but not bad. Here are a couple of pictures I took of them installed. There are two pictures of the rear fitment before adjusting the endlinks the one dark picture taken to show the space between the bar and mufflers (not the best picture but you get the idea).

Chiselchst (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 08:49 AM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, a picture says a thousand words! Thanks!
I have the ZR1/Z06 Corsa axle backs - and I think (from what RichieRich says) I might have a tad bit more room? I currently have an occasional vibration back there right now I'm trying to locate, FWIW.

I'll get the adjustable end links if ever I corner balance the car. It's not the money, just the noise that concerns me. I know it's rare (noise), but it does seem to occur.

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
I have to question their use on a street only car on street tires. You will actually give up a bit of mechanical grip due to the extremely stiff bars & using stock bushings just shift the load to them.
I was not aware of that. All of the info I read from folks adding bars only to a GS reported better handling. FWIW, I will use the LG bushings, and the end links will be the 2013 "new" version, metal/metal and shouldn't have any play in them...right?

Thank you everyone! The input is extremely appreciated.

Last edited by Chiselchst; 11-16-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrading Sway Bars on 2012 GS - Are Adjustable End Links Required?

Quick Reply: Upgrading Sway Bars on 2012 GS - Are Adjustable End Links Required?