Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 z06 4 point/ 5point roll bar Chromoly

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:01 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default C6 z06 4 point/ 5point roll bar Chromoly

I am looking for a 4 point Roll Bar with Road Race diaganol made of Chromoly for my C6 z06. Any suggestions on a company that I can purchase from? I have found some I like but need chromoly and the one I have found I like but not exactly sure how I feel about the cost, close to $2K and mounts different from other steel bars I have come across. The chomoly is what I would prefer for the weight savings. Thanks for suggestions. I can mount it and do want to bolt in.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Silver -V-
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen these, but I cannot endorse them as I have never looked too closely. http://rpmrollbar.com/rollbars-gm.html
Old 11-23-2016, 07:26 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Silver -V-
I have seen these, but I cannot endorse them as I have never looked too closely. http://rpmrollbar.com/rollbars-gm.html
Thanks. They have the high dollar bar I mentioned. I like the look and the weight, just hung up on the cost. Is it worth $1300 to save 30 to 40lbs and not have to trim the rear carpet???
Old 11-23-2016, 07:42 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/BlackbirdFabworxFTW

I believe Blackbird Fabworx is now doing a bar for the C6, might want to give them a call.

He has done some fantastic work on Corvettes and Miatas.
The following users liked this post:
l98tpi (11-24-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 07:44 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

double post

Last edited by blkbrd69; 11-23-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Thanks. They have the high dollar bar I mentioned. I like the look and the weight, just hung up on the cost. Is it worth $1300 to save 30 to 40lbs and not have to trim the rear carpet???
If you want the bar for actual safety don't buy it as it doesn't mount to a strong point in the car. The horizontal bar behind the seats is just thin sheet metal and can't take a vertical load. If you want it to pass a flaky tech inspection by somebody who doesn't know what he is doing then go for it.

This picture from their web page shows exactly what you don't want. The bar may be a fantastic bar but if it isn't mounted to a strong point it doesn't do any good. If you have a frontal impact even at fairly low speed your body will put a 3000 lb load on the bar through the harness. That will cause the bar to rotate around the forward down rods (if they are mounted to a strong point) and tilt forward.

To be useful the forward down bars have to attach to the B pillar or to the frame at the base of the B pillar. The rear down bars have to attach to the frame under the hatch. You don't want anything welded into the corner at the floor unless it is firmly attached to the frame.

Find a different supplier if you are looking for safety.

Bill
Old 11-24-2016, 11:18 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you want the bar for actual safety don't buy it as it doesn't mount to a strong point in the car. The horizontal bar behind the seats is just thin sheet metal and can't take a vertical load. If you want it to pass a flaky tech inspection by somebody who doesn't know what he is doing then go for it.

This picture from their web page shows exactly what you don't want. The bar may be a fantastic bar but if it isn't mounted to a strong point it doesn't do any good. If you have a frontal impact even at fairly low speed your body will put a 3000 lb load on the bar through the harness. That will cause the bar to rotate around the forward down rods (if they are mounted to a strong point) and tilt forward.

To be useful the forward down bars have to attach to the B pillar or to the frame at the base of the B pillar. The rear down bars have to attach to the frame under the hatch. You don't want anything welded into the corner at the floor unless it is firmly attached to the frame.

Bill
Thanks for the input Bill. I am going with bolt in attachment no matter what bar I get. I understand what you are saying. Good Point.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:04 PM
NHXracing
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill

Do you know of a bolt-in bar that attaches to stronger points on the car? I'm also looking for a bolt-in bar that will provide roll protection (not just for looks), but the best option I've found is the RSD bar. IMO, its slightly better than the others since it bolts to the cross-member behind the seats, and also to the trunk floor very close to the frame. When compared to the option of bolting to the balsa wood floor, it seems much better.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:23 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by C5track
Do you know of a bolt-in bar that attaches to stronger points on the car? I'm also looking for a bolt-in bar that will provide roll protection (not just for looks), but the best option I've found is the RSD bar. IMO, its slightly better than the others since it bolts to the cross-member behind the seats, and also to the trunk floor very close to the frame. When compared to the option of bolting to the balsa wood floor, it seems much better.
I don't care for the bar mounting on that crossmember since the fuel crossover is under it. I have searched my *** off and got different opinions. The only roll bar I have found that I could purchase was a steel roll bar from AutoPowr. However, even with this one, I think it is designed to bolt to the floor behind the seats. No way that will work. The mount would probably go right through the floor. And this steel is going to weigh around 100lbs. Since I mainly autox I do not want to add 100lbs, so I am going with just a harness bar for now. I hope someone will eventually provide info on an affordable, safe bolt in roll bar that is light weight.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 z06 4 point/ 5point roll bar Chromoly

Quick Reply: C6 z06 4 point/ 5point roll bar Chromoly