Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

757 Callaway Z06 with Z07 package @ VIR Full Course

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:41 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Default 757 Callaway Z06 with Z07 package @ VIR Full Course

So I was given an amazing opportunity to drive a 757 Callaway C7 Z06 with the Z07 Package for a session at my last track day. Quick version: the car is like wearing an Ironman suit. It literally will make you faster than you think you are on your best day in the best weather. For those that bash C7's / Z06's / or Callaway products don't comment in this thread. This was an great experience for me and I'm only sharing it with the permission of the owner and for the benefit for those who are actually curious. So here goes... Pros/Cons/etc..

Pros:
- The car is faster than anything I've ever driven and literally feels like all the cheat codes are turned on
- The GM's PTM system is the real deal even with the extra HP it worked flawlessly.
- The air cooled seat was amazing, ran it during the entire session
- The Callaway blower is sick, there was power from 2K all the way to redline
- The Callaway throttle mapping was aggressive but matched the character of the car perfectly
- The car was loose and moved around a lot, really reminded me of my car but with more of everything

Cons:
- Jury is still out but I think I don't like the Cup2's, it was really hard to find a consistent slip angle
- Cars this fast should come with a option of a factor installed cage
- The Comp seats are worlds better than C6's but I still think a containment seat/harnesses is needed

Last Thoughts:
- The C7 Z06 comes as advertised and the Callaway upgrade makes it even better.

-Car: Manual 757 Callaway C7 Z06 w/ Z07 Package Coupe
-Track: VIRginia International Raceway
-Layout: Full Course (3.27 miles)
-Transmission Type: M7
-Driving Mode: Sport 1
-Aero Package: Stage 3 Areo
-Tires: Michelin Sport Cup 2's
-Condition/Temp: Mid 70's and Sunny
-Overheat warning/failures: None
-Best Time of day Session achieved: 2:04.1, Day1 - Session 4
-Modifications: Callaway 757HP Upgrade, AP Racing Front Disc, GM Secondary Cooler

Note: Located near the bottom use the (*) next to the YouTube Logo to change the video to HD

The secondary timing data overlayed in my video was recording using my cell phone and an 10 Hz external GPS timer. The start/finish line was different from the PDR therefore the lap times have roughly a 0.25s difference.

The following 2 users liked this post by truth.b:
63Corvette (11-25-2016), JerriVette (11-16-2017)
Old 11-23-2016, 05:51 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Any idea what the cars best lap time is at VIR?
Old 11-23-2016, 08:50 AM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Was that the one at Track Daze?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:00 AM
theweej
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a reference to those unfamiliar with VIR lap times. Myself and two other C6 GS owners do 2:12's routinely on Mich PS/2 or Toyo R888, bone stock cars, only racing pads. We were there last weekend. We know the car has lots more time left, but we only drive a few times a year. I would love to drive that beast, it should do mid 1:50's no problem, IMO. The video shows tons of traffic to deal with too. I did notice the traction control light coming on a lot, did that mess you up? Could you feel it trying to help (or hurt) you?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:23 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Any idea what the cars best lap time is at VIR?
So to my knowledge this is the best time the car has ever done at VIR Full. I know an instructor drove it earlier in the day but only had enough room to manage a 2:08.xx. As you can see in the full session video the car is so much faster that 99% of everything else that it is really difficult to get more than a couple clean laps. Hence, my laughing like a school girl at various moments during the session. I felt like I was literally playing a video game. I could put the car exactly where I wanted with minimal effort then basically the point by was waiting on me when I got there.

Originally Posted by zrtman1
Was that the one at Track Daze?
Yes this was the cyber gray one at the event.

Originally Posted by theweej
As a reference to those unfamiliar with VIR lap times. Myself and two other C6 GS owners do 2:12's routinely on Mich PS/2 or Toyo R888, bone stock cars, only racing pads. We were there last weekend. We know the car has lots more time left, but we only drive a few times a year. I would love to drive that beast, it should do mid 1:50's no problem, IMO. The video shows tons of traffic to deal with too. I did notice the traction control light coming on a lot, did that mess you up? Could you feel it trying to help (or hurt) you?
Yes to all of this, my video of my C6 GS on street tires and race pads is below. I did a best that weekend of 2:13.8 during the Audi event.

Back to the C7 the TC light flickered a lot because I wasn't use to the Cup2 tires and I had a pretty difficult time finding a consistent slip angle. But most of the flickering is me getting into ABS. The pads he uses combined with front AP Racing caliper/disc setup was really aggressive and it took me a while to find the modulation point.

What's funny is you can see on lap three I get some serious wheel spin coming out of turn 1 and the light doesn't come on at all
Overall, I will say GM's programing of the PTM system is superb and handle the extra power flawlessly. If you pay attention to it you can drive around it as well. Due to this not being my car I ran in Sport1 (most conservative) and within 3 laps I learned how not to make the system mad from a power delivery stand point.

Car: Manual C6 Grand Sport Coupe, equipped with F55 Magnetic Ridge & NPP Exhaust
-Transmission Type: M6
-Driving Mode: Competition Driving Mode
-Aero Package: Stock Areo, Mild Track Alighnment
-Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions RFT (Cold: 28/29PSI, Warm Target: 34-36PSI)
-Best Time of day Session achieved: 2:13.844, Day1 - Session3
-Modifications: Powerstop (F/R): 1-piece TrackDay Pads, DOT 4 brake & clutch fluid, Centric Premium High Carbon (Blank)

Note: Located near the bottom use the (*) next to the YouTube Logo to change the video to HD

Old 11-23-2016, 11:13 AM
theweej
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are great video's, love the production quality. It's looks exactly like me driving my GS. Only difference is I love the gators. On the Callaway, that much available power is a whole new issue to learn on the track, that's a good lap time for driving someone else's car.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:10 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by theweej
Those are great video's, love the production quality. It's looks exactly like me driving my GS. Only difference is I love the gators. On the Callaway, that much available power is a whole new issue to learn on the track, that's a good lap time for driving someone else's car.
Yea I daily drive my car so I try to leave a healthy margin on the table. With 74k miles of trouble free enjoyment I know my conservatism keeps me from truly great laptimes, but I've made peace with that. The Callaway power is insane, I was basically 10-15 MPHs faster everywhere on the track probably could've been higher.

Yea the funny story about this laptime is... I wasn't trying to go fast, all I wanted to do was get a of couple clean laps and get a feel for the C7 platform. I called myself talking it "easy" and minimizing as much risk as possible, but apparently that means bringing the car back with the Low Fuel chime going and the fastest time of the day.

Last edited by truth.b; 11-23-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:22 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

How many HP does this thing make with the Callaway upgrades?
Old 11-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
How many HP does this thing make with the Callaway upgrades?
​​​​​​
Looks like 757hp. I figured it would be an easy sub 2:00 car.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
​​​​​​
Definitely. ST-2 cars are running 2:00
Old 11-23-2016, 07:04 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
​​​​​​
yes and yes. Once again it wasn't my car therefore I wasn't tying to set a new record or anything yet I still was able to pull of a 2:04. Also I've been notified that I wasn't in PTM so the traction mode was set to default.

Last edited by truth.b; 11-23-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by truth.b
yes and yes. Once again it wasn't my car therefore I wasn't tying to set a new record or anything yet I still was able to pull of a 2:04. Also I've been notified that I wasn't in PTM so the traction mode was set to default.
Ah ha. Didn't see it wasn't yours. COMPLETELY understand. Would never run someone else's car at more than 7/10s.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:48 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by truth.b
So to my knowledge this is the best time the car has ever done at VIR Full. I know an instructor drove it earlier in the day but only had enough room to manage a 2:08.xx. As you can see in the full session video the car is so much faster that 99% of everything else that it is really difficult to get more than a couple clean laps. Hence, my laughing like a school girl at various moments during the session. I felt like I was literally playing a video game. I could put the car exactly where I wanted with minimal effort then basically the point by was waiting on me when I got there.

Yes this was the cyber gray one at the event.

Yes to all of this, my video of my C6 GS on street tires and race pads is below. I did a best that weekend of 2:13.8 during the Audi event.

Back to the C7 the TC light flickered a lot because I wasn't use to the Cup2 tires and I had a pretty difficult time finding a consistent slip angle. But most of the flickering is me getting into ABS. The pads he uses combined with front AP Racing caliper/disc setup was really aggressive and it took me a while to find the modulation point.

What's funny is you can see on lap three I get some serious wheel spin coming out of turn 1 and the light doesn't come on at all
Overall, I will say GM's programing of the PTM system is superb and handle the extra power flawlessly. If you pay attention to it you can drive around it as well. Due to this not being my car I ran in Sport1 (most conservative) and within 3 laps I learned how not to make the system mad from a power delivery stand point.

Car: Manual C6 Grand Sport Coupe, equipped with F55 Magnetic Ridge & NPP Exhaust
-Transmission Type: M6
-Driving Mode: Competition Driving Mode
-Aero Package: Stock Areo, Mild Track Alighnment
-Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions RFT (Cold: 28/29PSI, Warm Target: 34-36PSI)
-Best Time of day Session achieved: 2:13.844, Day1 - Session3
-Modifications: Powerstop (F/R): 1-piece TrackDay Pads, DOT 4 brake & clutch fluid, Centric Premium High Carbon (Blank)

Hot Lap Full Course

Best Session Full Course
You will find lots of setup tips at the DSCsport website under technical notes. Change the rear caster angle of the rear uprights follow all the alignment tops and install a DSCsport controller from where your at just hanging rear grip you'll knock 5 sec off the laptime right away . With that much engine performance you need chassis and DSCsport.
Mike Levitas
DSCsport
Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 AM
shizon'00
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Poor-sha is in the 1:57's with his 2017 with DSC controller and pirellis. I believe Mero (GM engineer/driver) is claimed to be at 1:56 or 1:55 with the new suspension firmware update in a stock 2017 on cup 2s.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

Necrothread revival!

Get notified of new replies

To 757 Callaway Z06 with Z07 package @ VIR Full Course

Quick Reply: 757 Callaway Z06 with Z07 package @ VIR Full Course