Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator: Ron Davis or DeWitts

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:13 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

These types of threads are always going to be all over the board. Where you track and what skill level you are at plays a huge part in this.

I had an '04 Z with Dewitts radiator and stand alone Ron Davis large oil cooler. Running at Sebring in the summer I would see 210-215 water temps and 255-265 oil temps when really pushed.

If you're worried about oil temps on the street I used to tape up my oil cooler with painters tape when I was not tracking and this would net me up to 185 temps around town instead of 155-165.

The radiator still ran the car cool though when driving around on the street.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 AM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I run the DeWitts C5 radiator with EOC which I don't use. I have a stand alone DRM oil cooler and between the two I never see water temps over 220 and in the most severe track conditions oil temps hit 270 which I don't consider an issue. My last Blackstone report was excellent. The people I know that run their C5's hard on the track have not had success running the radiator EOC's. I think it's a great idea for a street car and light track use, but under the worst condition (which we all eventually encounter) it will be inadequate.

Last edited by SocalC5Z; 03-01-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:20 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have had the DeWitts and eoc and stock fans for over 8 yrs in my dd/track car. I usually run in the advanced group with a 517rwhp motor. 2 weeks ago, I ran VIR with ambient temps at 74* and coolant was at 212. The highest I have ever seen it was 228* at VIR a few years back at the 4th of July week when ambient was 107*. By the end of Sunday, there was only me and another Viper left. In front of the DeWitts, I have the largest Setrab oil cooler I could find, my AC condenser, and the Vararam intake all cutting down on airflow, but the DeWitts cools with zero issues. I know the RD is a solid rad, but hard to believe it is worth $200 more. Hope this helps and good luck with it.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have had the DeWitts and eoc and stock fans for over 8 yrs in my dd/track car. I usually run in the advanced group with a 517rwhp motor. 2 weeks ago, I ran VIR with ambient temps at 74* and coolant was at 212. The highest I have ever seen it was 228* at VIR a few years back at the 4th of July week when ambient was 107*. By the end of Sunday, there was only me and another Viper left. In front of the DeWitts, I have the largest Setrab oil cooler I could find, my AC condenser, and the Vararam intake all cutting down on airflow, but the DeWitts cools with zero issues. I know the RD is a solid rad, but hard to believe it is worth $200 more. Hope this helps and good luck with it.
Thanks!

Which setrab core did you go with?

How far in front of the condenser did you place the oil cooler?

Did you do any custom ducting for the oil cooler or radiator?
Old 03-01-2017, 02:57 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Thanks!

Which setrab core did you go with?

How far in front of the condenser did you place the oil cooler?

Did you do any custom ducting for the oil cooler or radiator?
It is a Setrab 625 off of ebay, but it is different than most I see. One port is at the top left and the other port is at bottom right.

I have it mounted by 2 angled aluminum strips from Lowes to rad skidplate and up to to of rad. There is probably less than 1" between oil cooler and condenser.

Everything else is stock. I did do the Trackspec hood louvers to help draw out the engine heat:

2 weeks ago at VIR was my first real track day with them, so hard to tell. Coolant stayed at normal 210ish and oil stayed at normal 260ish. Will see how they do in the summer hear.

HTH
Old 03-01-2017, 03:05 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
2 weeks ago at VIR was my first real track day with them, so hard to tell. Coolant stayed at normal 210ish and oil stayed at normal 260ish. Will see how they do in the summer hear.

HTH
Thanks for the info. Sending you a PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:11 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
However, when it comes to the radiator, there is almost $200 difference between the two.
That is the biggest difference. Both brands use two rows of 1" tubes.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:03 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

All good info.
I just installed a dewitts, with toc only. I installed huge fluidyne oil cooler in place of the factory Z06 cooler. Then went AC delete. So I got rid of the ac condenser. I have a katech red oil pump and AN-10 oil lines to the cooler. I don't have a clue as to how well it will work yet. My first event this year is at Daytona in April. Engine is 593 rwhp. So lots of stuff to try and to sort. Hopefully my long winter's work and patience will shine.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:09 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
That is the biggest difference. Both brands use two rows of 1" tubes.
Tom,
Has any testing been done to show how much cooler (or more effective) the cooling system becomes if the air conditioning condenser is removed?

Lets base this on the assumption that the condenser has no restriction due to dirt, leaves or anything that will clog air flow.

Interested to hear your thoughts or track experience.
The following users liked this post:
BigMonkey73 (08-25-2019)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:18 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Tom,
Has any testing been done to show how much cooler (or more effective) the cooling system becomes if the air conditioning condenser is removed?

Lets base this on the assumption that the condenser has no restriction due to dirt, leaves or anything that will clog air flow.

Interested to hear your thoughts or track experience.
I don't race but the AC condenser will only reduce engine cooling if you are running the AC. The heat removed from inside the car is transferred to the condenser and most of that heat is transferred to the radiator. If the AC is off, fresh air will go through and around the condenser without any change.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:28 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Thanks Tom....I was under the impression the condenser would slow or lessen airflow to the radiator. I guess I got that one wrong.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:42 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Thanks Tom....I was under the impression the condenser would slow or lessen airflow to the radiator. I guess I got that one wrong.
I removed the coil on an older camaro I tracked and it made a very noteworthy difference. Obviously a hot coil passes warm air like Tom states but I have first hand experience with this in a situation where cooling was marginal at best with coil, once removed my car ran consistently 15-20* cooler.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:10 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

You are correct on the C6 Z06(and possibly other models) the AC condenser is mounted directly in front of the radiator thus reducing air flow to the radiator.
BigMonkey73 (08-25-2019)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:33 AM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

In school they taught us that it's roughly a 30% difference with ac vs non.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:59 PM
fruitsalad
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zrtman1
I have a Dewitts cutdown (supercharged). HPDE intermediate. 2 weekends ago at Vir was mid 70's temp - coolant was 202. The highest on track i have ever seen is 212 if I remember correctly.

I run a big 72 row oil cooler with remote filter and IR 212 thermostat.

I have personally seen both radiators and my opinion is the dewitt and Rd use very similar cores. RD has fab'd end tanks and dewitt are stamped is the main difference (which means nothing in terms of cooling).

With either radiator I think the key is you need to spend some time sealing up duct work going into radiator to get maximum efficiency.
Wow, 212 is impressive with a cutdown radiator and a blower. What ducting did you do?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:14 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
In school they taught us that it's roughly a 30% difference with ac vs non.
OK, that makes sense. Sounds like a substantial increase in potential cooling when running on the thermal edge if you're willing to get rid of the AC condenser.

Maybe somebody here can answer this question......If I decide to remove the condenser and the air conditioning compressor, is there an idler pulley to go in its place or can the belt be routed in a way to bypass the air conditioning compressor pulley if it is removed?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:26 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If I decide to remove the condenser and the air conditioning compressor, is there an idler pulley to go in its place or can the belt be routed in a way to bypass the air conditioning compressor pulley if it is removed?
AC belt is a separate 2nd belt behind the serpentine belt for C6s. I think the same is true for C5s.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator: Ron Davis or DeWitts

Old 03-08-2017, 12:11 AM
conradb
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I run a Ron Davis in my C5Z track car. I have a front-mounted double pass oil cooler feeding right through into the coolant radiator intake area. I was just out at Buttonwillow Raceway this weekend. After pushing it for 20 min with no letup I saw a peak temp of 221F, but avg was more like 117F. It was around 65-70F that day. Here's a vid of me with data logging (I haven't been to this track in a year, and I have a new setup since, so I'm rusty! ):

Last edited by conradb; 03-08-2017 at 12:27 AM.
fruitsalad (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:28 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Originally Posted by naschmitz
AC belt is a separate 2nd belt behind the serpentine belt for C6s. I think the same is true for C5s.
You are correct regarding the separate belt for the AC on the C5's. Looking over the parts, I would think you would drop at least 25-30 lbs off the front end if you remove the condenser, compressor, hoses, tensioner, etc.

Decisions, decisions......
Old 03-09-2017, 01:36 PM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
Wow, 212 is impressive with a cutdown radiator and a blower. What ducting did you do?
It has the A&A ducting because it is their intercooler. I just spent time sealing the lid to the radiator and radiator to the ducting. Any air that enters the ductwork has to go through radiator.

My oil cooler uses air from behind front plate. It does not mix with radiator air.

I also sealed the spal fans to back of radiator.. made a huge difference in street driving while in traffic.

Quick Reply: Radiator: Ron Davis or DeWitts