Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delrin or spherical control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Delrin or spherical control arm bushings

Ive been running the pfadt poly for a while with the the lower rear shock mounts in spherical

While theyve worked well with the provided grease, at this point the polys are binding really badly. Since Im going to be taking apart the entire suspension anyway to do new hubs and possibly a leaf spring change I am set on changing the bushings to something solid

Is the reliability of delrin equal to or better than sphericals? I rather not have to take everything apart again for a while.

Right now the ridetech ones look like a good choice - it seems the vansteel and phoenix are only a few hundred away from the cost of sphericals...

any input is appreciated.

Thank you

Old 03-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
Ive been running the pfadt poly for a while with the the lower rear shock mounts in spherical

While theyve worked well with the provided grease, at this point the polys are binding really badly. Since Im going to be taking apart the entire suspension anyway to do new hubs and possibly a leaf spring change I am set on changing the bushings to something solid

Is the reliability of delrin equal to or better than sphericals? I rather not have to take everything apart again for a while.

Right now the ridetech ones look like a good choice - it seems the vansteel and phoenix are only a few hundred away from the cost of sphericals...

any input is appreciated.

Thank you

FYI we'll be doing an exchange program for our spherical kit probably within 6 weeks. Don't know what your time frame is. But deal will be you send me your control arms, and I'll send you back control arms with our spherical bearings already installed and ready to put on your car. Control arms will be glass bead blasted and looking brand new. No down time waiting for bushings to get installed. Intro price will be $2000. We're using Radial wide series bearings which are the best you can buy for this application.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mark@AMT Motorsport:
el es tu (03-08-2017), ferrmaro (03-11-2017), Racingswh (03-10-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm running the SPCs on my C4.. They are adjustable and not that expensive. You can get them from Mike Maier, Inc.
The following users liked this post:
el es tu (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:44 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm a firm believer in doing it once and right the first time. I've had the LG mono ball bushings in our C6Z for 3 years now and they've worked flawless. The car is raced frequently and runs a mix of slicks or 200 tw tires depending on what we're doing. We install a lot of them and I always get positive reviews on them based on the increase in feedback from the car and how quickly it reacts to steering input. There is a night and day difference in poly compared to mono *****.
el es tu (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:45 AM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got the Borg Motorsports Offset delrin bushings in my c5 currently and they've been fantastic. Might even be better than sphericals because there is zero maintenance. We'll see how long the delrin ones last. I'd be curious to hear opinions on the advantages of the spherical bearings over delrin. I know some cars have to go to a spherical in certain locations because delrin will bind. Delrin seems to work fine everywhere on the C5.
The following 2 users liked this post by v10climber:
Borg Motorsports (03-13-2017), el es tu (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I am using the Vansteel in my 06Z

love them and very well made

completely transformed handling
el es tu (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 12:10 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Another vote for Vansteel delrin bushings. I have heard of a few bad experiences with the Ridetech bushings.
el es tu (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

So Ive been looking into everything further and pricing it out. Id love to run spherical bearings on the arms but the cost is so high its going to hit the budget to where Im going to have to avoid replacing either the balljoints or the sagging rear spring.

If there was something offered in spherical that was a bit lower cost than whats currently out there that might work.

As far as the ridetech - I thought they fixed the issues with their stuff with new hardware. Has anyone had any direct experience with their product?

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 03-08-2017, 03:50 PM
0Rodney@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
So Ive been looking into everything further and pricing it out. Id love to run spherical bearings on the arms but the cost is so high its going to hit the budget to where Im going to have to avoid replacing either the balljoints or the sagging rear spring.

If there was something offered in spherical that was a bit lower cost than whats currently out there that might work.

As far as the ridetech - I thought they fixed the issues with their stuff with new hardware. Has anyone had any direct experience with their product?

Thanks for all the replies!

You are correct, everything is lined out. We haven't had any trouble since the revision.
I'm a true believer in the Delrin, I've been running Delrin in my daily driver for over 5 years. It's not a Vette, but it weighs about twice as much and is the reason we used it for a test dummy when we started messing with Delrin. We check them periodically for wear and tear, but have never replaced them. Still going strong after all the miles I have racked up on them.
el es tu (03-10-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:13 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Put a used Pfadt kit in my racecar 4 years ago. Some of rears have needed replacement in the last two months. Love them. Wish the customer service was a bit better.
el es tu (03-10-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:14 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

To be clearer, just the bearings have needed replacement. Pfadt sells the refresh kits.
el es tu (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 04:18 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

RideTech delrin all the way. They support grassroots racers.
el es tu (03-14-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
FYI we'll be doing an exchange program for our spherical kit probably within 6 weeks. Don't know what your time frame is. But deal will be you send me your control arms, and I'll send you back control arms with our spherical bearings already installed and ready to put on your car. Control arms will be glass bead blasted and looking brand new. No down time waiting for bushings to get installed. Intro price will be $2000. We're using Radial wide series bearings which are the best you can buy for this application.

I would do these and at some point will myself. Very nicely done.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:06 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Can you get more than -2.5 in the front with spherical bearings? Im leaning towards the Lane Borg Motorsports offset bushings myself. Im wanting to run -3.5 in the front and -3 in the rear.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by chetly
Can you get more than -2.5 in the front with spherical bearings? Im leaning towards the Lane Borg Motorsports offset bushings myself. Im wanting to run -3.5 in the front and -3 in the rear.
I've got -3 in the front with mine. Don't think you're gonna get -3.5 without the offset bushings but that's a heck of a lot of neg camber with solid bushings.

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 03-11-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:00 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This is the old story. Racing is cheap. Winning is expensive.

Spherical are better than delrin. How much better? How badly do you want to be on the podium?

Here's a good rundown on spherical bearings.

Richard Newton
el es tu (03-14-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by chetly
What benefit do you think you will realize if you do that?

Get notified of new replies

To Delrin or spherical control arm bushings

Old 03-11-2017, 02:07 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

That's a lot of camber with spherical bushings. What is your set up?
Old 03-12-2017, 02:19 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I've run sphericals and I've run delrin. No difference in performance.
el es tu (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 AM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
I've got -3 in the front with mine. Don't think you're gonna get -3.5 without the offset bushings but that's a heck of a lot of neg camber with solid bushings.
You can get into the mid to upper -4.x in the front with our offset kit. About 1 less negative in the rear. Chassis differences will determine the final max amount you can get and obviously with the stock adjustment methods (eccentric bolts) you are still balancing your camber and caster values with each other.

Originally Posted by Racingswh
What benefit do you think you will realize if you do that?
I get EXTREMELY even tread wear on both front and rear. No issues with shoulders wearing out regardless of the tire brand. You'll also see an increase in grip on the skip pad (i.e. sweepers) once you tune the settings to the specific tires you are running.

You also don't have to compromise on camber vs caster as much either. On the stock setup, you might be able to get a certain max negative camber, but your caster won't be equal so you have to back off to make the alignment settings symmetrical. The offset bushings remove that compromise and allow you to run pretty much whatever settings you want. Think of it more in terms of the available adjustment range and not the max camber values. Instead of being able to adjust (for example) from +1.5 to -2.2, you can now adjust from -0.8 to -4.5. You don't have to go to -4.5 obviously, but that is a much more usable range of adjustment than stock, especially for a performance oriented car.

Honestly, the biggest difference for me was in the rear. I kept adding camber and it kept putting power down better and better. I run maxed out in the rear on my car (-3.5) and slightly less than max in the front (-4.2). Keep in mind that is on an autocross car.

Generally, I recommend the standard (non-offset) kit for track day cars and road course work and the offset kit for autocross. Autocross is basically a skid pad competition so biasing the setup toward max lateral g, even at the expense of some longitudinal grip is acceptable. For track work, you need more braking grip so you will generally run less camber. That said, I do have some customers running the offset kits on track because of specific alignment/tire tuning issues and they have been very happy with the results.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Lane Borg - Owner
lane@borgmotorsports.com
2012 AS Solo National Champion
2014 BS ProSolo and Solo National Champion

Last edited by Borg Motorsports; 03-13-2017 at 10:05 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Borg Motorsports:
chetly (03-13-2017), el es tu (03-14-2017), Racingswh (03-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Delrin or spherical control arm bushings