Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z06 track reliability vs. your other track car

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:22 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Default C7 Z06 track reliability vs. your other track car

I've been tracking the C7 Z06 for 27 months now, it has been quite...eventful.

For those of you that have tracked this car and something else, how does the C7 Z06 compare? If not comfortable giving specifics just compare them subjectively.

I tracked an S2000 before this and it was bulletproof by comparison. 0 faults. The Z has lots of bugs, things breaking, melting, engine codes, etc. I'm not sure if its' comparable given the Honda is an entry level spots car. Perhaps some of you track Vipers or GT3s which would be more on the same pace.

I'm trying to get a bit of perspective from other people's experiences.
The following users liked this post:
CanadianVetster (04-16-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 11:38 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Could I talk you into a brief list of the complications in tracking your C7Z? Just curious.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:55 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Could I talk you into a brief list of the complications in tracking your C7Z? Just curious.
1. fuse burning taking out O2 and other sensors offline causing 12 engine codes. Determined that a wire harness was touching the exhaust and melted causing the fuse to burn. GM replaced harness.
2. check engine light occurring during low grip situations. GM updated the software with regards to vehicle speed sensor.
3. check engine light occuring on and off, and service stabilitrack light. Spark plug wire burned out taking out a cylinder offline.
4. service powersteering. Caused by overheating powersteering. GM released a cooling duct based on C6 rear duct to be used for cooling.
5. Frequent overheating coolant at 262* causing limp mode. GM released secondary cooling radiator as a fix.
6. Low power mode often limiting revs at 5000 rpm max. Caused by detonation, solved using 100 octane.
7. bottom end failure, pulverized rod #7, exited out of the block. GM provided new engine.

I got a few more unsolved for now.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:31 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Your experience mirrors mine. I track a C6 Z06 and about every GM mechanical/electrical part on it is has had some type of failure, fault, issue. It's actually hard for me to think of something that I have NOT replaced. haha. I don't even do very many track days nor do I hardly drive it.

By comparison I was tracking a 2008 BMW M3 previously, going to 4x more track events per year and also daily driving it 15K miles more per year and never had a single issue or replaced anything (besides consumables - pads/rotors/tires/etc.)

GM build quality and engineering is just atrocious. However when the car does run it is fun and faster around the track then anything else made.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:57 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I used to track a 2008 M3. It was under warranty and bmw replaced brake pads and rotors; it was great. I knew that I needed a cheaper car to run so bought a 2008 C6 and ran it with no issues. Eventually went to race group and went with a C5. I've replaced torque tube bearings, lunched a clutch/flywheel/torque tube because the transmission mount failed and wheel hubs. The pfadt sphericals I bought used have started to need bearing replacement after 4 years and I've just replaced a ball joint and tie rod in the rear. Honestly I think the C5/C6 is a cheap platform to run. No experience with C7s. 2 cents.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:33 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Mine is just the opposite, thus far the C7 has been flawless (knock on wood). Then again, I come from trying to track an LS swapped C3, which never failed to leave me turning wrenches between each and every session.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

I tracked an 86 which was pretty much bullet proof, a 97 that had a couple of replacements of the PS rack and pump and 4 hubs. An 03Z that had a couple of PS racks and pumps and 4 hubs and the EBCM/BPMV replaced. All 3 of those cars were pretty much drive the hell out of them for 20 to 40 minutes, park in the paddock do some preliminary checks and head out for the next session. Even with the ABS failure didn't stop running the car for two days. The C6Z did fine until the engine dropped a valve. GM replaced the engine and it did fine until the balancer on the replacement engine came loose and cut short one event. Other than that it did fine for the next 4 years. The C7Z has been basically problem free. Other than the expense of replacing brake rotors and pads. It has run fine from day one, goes like hell, doesn't have any overheating issues and did 17 days last year without a hitch.

Bill
Old 03-10-2017, 10:06 AM
maniac719
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My C7 Z06 has had a couple of small issues:

1) Dealership couldnt get rear castor set for the first couple of months of tracking it because they didnt have the correct tools. Major difference once it was setup correctly
2) Smoked a wheel speed sensor
3) Overheated power steering
4) Bad wiring harness connection for shocks causing limp mode

My C5 hasnt had any real issues that have cost me track time, other than changing rotors in the paddock (yet) but she is still kind of new to me.

My only other comment on the subject is, the C7 Z06/Z07 will eat you alive with consumables (2 days on MPCS2, and 2 days on front pads, and rotors once a season). But holy hell is it fast, its faster than my C5 for damned sure but in a single season I think I spent almost $30K on tires, fuel, and brakes. In comparison I bought a full T2 race prepped C5 for the same money, while running costs are about a 1/4 of the C7 (if that).
Old 03-10-2017, 11:28 AM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I think in regards to the C7Z and consumables, you have to consider how much performance you are bringing to the track compared to any prior Corvette platform or anything for that matter. The current Vipers may be a good comparison.

Tires and brakes are going to wear considerably faster if you are using the car close to the limit. I got into a C5Z for track duty specifically because I needed something cheaper to run than my Porsches. The C5Z offers similar performance with about 1/3 the cost for consumables (after a brake upgrade) and normal wear items.

What would bother me is the list of issues that the OP has experienced culminating with a lunched engine. Sure GM covered this under warranty, but much like the C6Z engine failures, what happens after that?

Last edited by SocalC5Z; 03-10-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:24 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

I had to give up my C7Z51 due to the AFM actuators failing on track every time out plus manual transmission overheating and engine overheating ( Engine overheating - Idle Engine message). But at the same time I have been running my 2008 Nissan GT-R for 9 years on track and it's never had to go to the dealer for any repairs, no engine issues, no transmission issues ( it needed an add-on transmission cooler kit for $2.5k first year) or suspension or brakes or anything else. Virtually bullet-proof. I have been running it on Nitto NT01's on 18" wheels so tire costs have been good with about 5 track days per set at mostly open track events, and calipers are stock but rotors are PFC and pads are DTC-60's and under $300 a front set. So other than pads which it likes to eat, tires and fuel, lots of fuel, nothing else to add. It had one problem at the Glen last year when a stainless oil line feeding the passenger side turbo got hairline stress crack in it and I had to go home early, and replaced the line myself with an upgraded OEM one (it was a PITA). Car has a tune but engine is stock. Overall super reliable track car, ready for more use this year.

My buddy with his Z06 has had pretty good luck, and we added secondary cooler on his, plus AP Racing brake kit to to cracking rotors and Hawk pads. He really complains about those expensive PSC2's giving up the ghost after 2 track days though and it goes through front pads like there's no tomorrow ( 1 day at Road America), but quite reliable so far. My other buddy drives a 2014 Viper T/A and it is a winner in terms of track reliability, as all it needs is tires and fuel, and somehow he never seems to go through pads much, and he drives it pretty quick. No mods, never overheats. My new AMG GT-S never overheats either, but it does have an issue with only 2.5 days per set of PSC2's before they start sliding around a lot. Got 12 Dunlop Maxx Race tires for it to try this season, as Tirerack had them on for half-price.

Last edited by descartesfool; 03-11-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:07 AM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 120 Posts

great thread.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Great responses so far! Hopefully we get more folks to pitch in their experience. The more data the better.

I'll update my list soon.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:49 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 480 Posts

This has been one of the cheapest cars to track that I've owned, and driving it in 'M' mode has allowed me and my son to run every full run session even in 96dF ambient temps.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:03 AM
N2DEEP
Pro

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I've been tracking the C7 Z06 for 27 months now, it has been quite...eventful.

For those of you that have tracked this car and something else, how does the C7 Z06 compare? If not comfortable giving specifics just compare them subjectively.

I tracked an S2000 before this and it was bulletproof by comparison. 0 faults. The Z has lots of bugs, things breaking, melting, engine codes, etc. I'm not sure if its' comparable given the Honda is an entry level spots car. Perhaps some of you track Vipers or GT3s which would be more on the same pace.

I'm trying to get a bit of perspective from other people's experiences.
Going by your name, is the car a M7?
Old 03-17-2017, 04:01 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by N2DEEP
Going by your name, is the car a M7?
Manual, yep.
The following users liked this post:
N2DEEP (03-17-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I know that this won't help the OP but for others reading this thread I'll say that this car has been pretty close to bulletproof which as much track time as it's seen and the performance potential. The real issue is that the consumables cost (especially fuel!) are high.

So far still no overheating with this car but mine is an M7 and I am running the GM secondary radiator. Below is a list of the issues I have experienced with the car.

1) Trans puking fluid out the breather. Finally GM discovered the cause was the RTV in the trans was breaking down the anti-foaming agent in the trans fluid. I had to make a couple of trips to the dealer to have them power flush the system.

2) Service air bag light. This was related to my passenger seat presence sensor. Second time I've had this replaced. This one is really odd but not track related.

3) Cracked catalytic converter and exhaust leak that caused issues with the knock sensors. This happened to both catalytic converters now. Replaced under warranty. If I were making this a track only car I'd pull the cats and tune out the cat overtemp protection.

4) Melted the grease boot on the front LCA. This was replaced under warranty as well.

Here are the stats for the life of the car (2015/2016 seasons).

Track days: 51
Track Hours: 102.5
Laps: 2574
Track miles: 9042
Front pad sets used: 12
Rear pad sets used: 8
Fuel consumed on track: 2255 gallons

Tomorrow I'm off to VIR for a couple of days and back to Summit Point next weekend.

Original thread is here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-numbers.html
Old 03-18-2017, 02:49 PM
N2DEEP
Pro

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I know that this won't help the OP but for others reading this thread I'll say that this car has been pretty close to bulletproof which as much track time as it's seen and the performance potential. The real issue is that the consumables cost (especially fuel!) are high.

So far still no overheating with this car but mine is an M7 and I am running the GM secondary radiator. Below is a list of the issues I have experienced with the car.

1) Trans puking fluid out the breather. Finally GM discovered the cause was the RTV in the trans was breaking down the anti-foaming agent in the trans fluid. I had to make a couple of trips to the dealer to have them power flush the system.

2) Service air bag light. This was related to my passenger seat presence sensor. Second time I've had this replaced. This one is really odd but not track related.

3) Cracked catalytic converter and exhaust leak that caused issues with the knock sensors. This happened to both catalytic converters now. Replaced under warranty. If I were making this a track only car I'd pull the cats and tune out the cat overtemp protection.

4) Melted the grease boot on the front LCA. This was replaced under warranty as well.

Here are the stats for the life of the car (2015/2016 seasons).

Track days: 51
Track Hours: 102.5
Laps: 2574
Track miles: 9042
Front pad sets used: 12
Rear pad sets used: 8
Fuel consumed on track: 2255 gallons

Tomorrow I'm off to VIR for a couple of days and back to Summit Point next weekend.

Original thread is here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-numbers.html

Fuel cost around 6800.00! wow. Thats just based on $3 per gallon for 93. I just bought a 2016 Z06 M7. Do you think the factory will install the secondary cooler if i take it in to them?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 track reliability vs. your other track car

Old 03-18-2017, 04:59 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DEEP
Fuel cost around 6800.00! wow. Thats just based on $3 per gallon for 93. I just bought a 2016 Z06 M7. Do you think the factory will install the secondary cooler if i take it in to them?
well if Sean is like me he's mixing track unleaded of around 100 octane at about $9/gallon plus street premium. Adds up quick! lol

Bish
Old 03-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
well if Sean is like me he's mixing track unleaded of around 100 octane at about $9/gallon plus street premium. Adds up quick! lol

Bish
I just run straight 93 octane. I had a 60 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed of the truck so I'd fill up outside the track each evening. It still added up even at $3/gallon.

Unfortunately I'm now towing with an RV so I'm going to have to start paying at the track prices, but I'm still only running 93 octane. I tried 100 octane once and saw no difference in how the car performed.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I just run straight 93 octane. I had a 60 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed of the truck so I'd fill up outside the track each evening. It still added up even at $3/gallon.

Unfortunately I'm now towing with an RV so I'm going to have to start paying at the track prices, but I'm still only running 93 octane. I tried 100 octane once and saw no difference in how the car performed.
Mixing 20% 100 with 93 isn't supposed to improve performance. It's supposed to protect engine against possible knocking, especially for FI engines, if a concern.

Last edited by Kamran; 03-18-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 track reliability vs. your other track car