Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest BoP

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:36 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Latest BoP

Here's the latest.

Considering how great the Rolex 24 was I'm ready to admit that the BoP is starting to produce some good racing.

We see what Sebring is like.

Richard Newton
Old 03-15-2017, 04:18 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Here's the latest.

Considering how great the Rolex 24 was I'm ready to admit that the BoP is starting to produce some good racing.

We see what Sebring is like.

Richard Newton
Thanks Richard
Old 03-15-2017, 08:46 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Looking forward to this weekends races (Or race coverage in terms of PWC)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:29 AM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Looking forward to this weekends races (Or race coverage in terms of PWC)
I guess this is why "Opinions vary" to semi quote Patrick Swazey in the movie "ROAD HOUSE". What I saw at the Daytona Rolex 24 Hours was a Corvette Team that for the most part ran a great race and though they finished off the podium earned the respect (as if they needed to earn anything) of all who were there or watched what they could on FOX etc.. However, in spite of great handling and great pit work the #3 and #4 cars simply didn't have the straight on speed to compete on the straight a ways with Ford, Ferrari, or Porsche. Unless the 2017 version of CORVETTE RACING is inherently slower by design (a fact I would heartily disagree with) I would say the Doug Fehan Team was hurt by the BoP that left them chronically slower each and every time they went head to head in passing situation on the back stretch for the full 24 hours. It was disheartening to say the least to know that even when your crew out performed the others during a pit stop your car lost the lead due to a lack of speed. Isn't this what BoP is supposed to prevent? Why should I drive all the way from NH in my C7 only to realize that the Team I will root for is fighting a losing battle for speed? TEAM CORVETTE suffering from a lack of speed through BoP politics? Why does Ford get to have a faster car unless their engineering is better? Or Ferrari? Or Porsche? Sorry but I want Corvette to have the greater speed and if it was due to BoP then in my opinion it's just not fair. If it's due to design on the part of Corvette Racing then damn it FIX IT! I don't want to see the Corvettes being passed each and every time when speed matters and quite frankly I don't understand a Corvette owner who does! I'll be at the Corvette Corral if anyone wishes to discuss it.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

I've never been a huge fan of the BoP but this year they're using the European data logger from Bosch. Basically it's the same unit that's used by the FIA. IMSA claims they've gone from a 1-dimensional analysis to a 3- dimensional analysis.

Here's an article on the new Bosch system.

sdurg24 - I can appreciate your feelings but racing today is about making all the cars equal. That's just the way it is. Racing is no longer about making the faster car. It's about making a car that will run a 24-Hour sprint race.

Richard Newton
How Hot Are Your Brakes?
Old 03-16-2017, 12:14 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

1st practice, over a second behind the leaders...........
Old 03-16-2017, 01:53 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Default TV Ratings

IndyCar St. Pete: Stable over last year

NASCAR Vegas: Continued decline

The full story here.

Richard Newton
Old 03-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

P2 much better...
Old 03-16-2017, 10:53 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I've never been a huge fan of the BoP but this year they're using the European data logger from Bosch. Basically it's the same unit that's used by the FIA. IMSA claims they've gone from a 1-dimensional analysis to a 3- dimensional analysis.

Here's an article on the new Bosch system.

sdurg24 - I can appreciate your feelings but racing today is about making all the cars equal. That's just the way it is. Racing is no longer about making the faster car. It's about making a car that will run a 24-Hour sprint race.

Richard Newton
How Hot Are Your Brakes?
Richard I thank you for your comments and although I may not agree that it should be about making the cars equal I must add that the current system does not make or even allow Corvette to be equal to Ford, Porsche, or Ferrari when it comes to speed. For some unknown reason the BoP has made Corvette slower than the others. I could live with equal in speed and then allow us to really race. Don't you agree that at Daytona we were demonstrably slower in head to head battle?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

The BoP is designed to work for the total race. Not just lap times.

That's why IMSA regulates fuel flow rate on the pit stops and the size of the fuel cell. They use the pit stops as a way of fine tuning the BoP.

Richard Newton
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 AM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The BoP is designed to work for the total race. Not just lap times.

That's why IMSA regulates fuel flow rate on the pit stops and the size of the fuel cell. They use the pit stops as a way of fine tuning the BoP.

Richard Newton
I understand the BoP as well as the next guy but when we don't have power and everything else is equal we lose. Why should we have less speed when the othe cars finish ahead of us? We are faster in the pits and at least as fast on the turns but cannot keep up on the straights. Unless the other cars have breakdowns or penalties or accidents Corvette can't win. That's not balance of performance it's clearly imbalance of performance and shows just how broke the system is. Did you watch The Rolex? Did you see us keep up on every turn? Did you notice we were consistently out of the pits faster than Ford, Ferrari, and Porsche? Did you not watch Corvette get passed on every opportunity on the back stretch? I stand by my original statement. Change the BoP formula or Pratt and Miller better coax more speed out of the C7R. If you are a Corvette affecianado how can you feel otherwise? I'm at the Corvette Corral now watching GTLM practice. Maybe we are sandbagging but the Yelliw and Black Jakes are clearly slower. I will ask Doug Fehan at 10:45 or so this morning.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

The Corvette Team's fastest lap in Free Practice Two was only a tenth behind the GT's fastest lap in Free Practice Three and Porsche's lap in FP1. Porsche was fastest in FP1, Corvette in FP2, and Ford in FP3. We'll see what race pace each has, but at least in practice they are pretty close.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Someone used to post segment times, I wish I could find them for Daytona.........
Old 03-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
Someone used to post segment times, I wish I could find them for Daytona.........
http://results.imsa.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Latest BoP

Quick Reply: Latest BoP