Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets Talk Brake Pads..........

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 11:01 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Anyone know of a similar compound to the Wilwood Poly B/Raybestos st38 that is made in the c5/c6 base rear plate?

Neither wilwood nor raybestos offer the PolyB/ st38 in the rear vette plate anymore and Ive got a set of 7416 plate Poly B pads that Id like to try on the front of my car without biasing the balance any further forward so it means getting something with a similar mu to the B - preferably with a flatter brake dyno curve.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2017, 11:54 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
Anyone know of a similar compound to the Wilwood Poly B/Raybestos st38 that is made in the c5/c6 base rear plate?

Neither wilwood nor raybestos offer the PolyB/ st38 in the rear vette plate anymore and Ive got a set of 7416 plate Poly B pads that Id like to try on the front of my car without biasing the balance any further forward so it means getting something with a similar mu to the B - preferably with a flatter brake dyno curve.

Thanks!

Some possibilities:
Wilwood indicated to me that the BP-40s are not as aggressive as the Hs hence should be similar to the Bs. I've used the BP-30s and they are nowhere close to the Hs. All of the BP pads are produced by another mfg but I don't know which one.
The XP-10s should not create the front to back bias that many like but you would like to avoid so should work with the Bs. Also, as the CTs would be put in the rear, their wear rate would be less of an issue.
I believe the ST-38s are much more aggressive than the Bs, perhaps the most aggressive of the ST line. The 43s are supposed to be similar to the Hs so the 39s and perhaps the 42s match the Bs better.
The PFC 97s match up closely to the Bs.
Hawk has a street/race pad (essentially the DTC-30s) that they claim works up to 1250*F that seems reasonably comparable.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 04-07-2017 at 11:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
el es tu (04-12-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 12:06 AM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm not a fan of PFC these days due to rotor production issues (i.e., they stopped making rotors for their C5/6 BBK). But the 01s/11s are great pads. Expensive but hard to beat the performance.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default same here

Originally Posted by spearfish25
ST43s front and rear. Love these pads. Tried Hawk DTC70s and didn't like them.
Over the last 5+ years and driving the three road courses here in Northern California, I've enjoyed the feel and long life of Raybestos ST43s on my '08. The only thing that I can say might be wrong with Raybestos is the name. How can a company that we've heard of so long come up with a product this good? Plus, I love the screaming sound these guys put out.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:34 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Ran carbotechs, raybestos, and wilwoods over the last 5 years in racing. ST41s and ST43s, no complaints. Run wilwood H pads now through TCE Todd. Amazing wear.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:46 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

What is the difference between the Raybestos ST43 and ST47?
Old 04-09-2017, 11:40 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

ST43 Compound-
Very versatile brake pad. Great friction, easy on rotor and pad wear with a wide operating range of 300°F to 1200°F. This may be the perfect pad for Endurance Racing, Open Track and Club Racing. Some of our customers are using the ST43 for Auto Cross events as well. Also, a good rear pad when the ST41, ST45 or ST47 front pads are used.

Commonly used in:
- Open Track / HPDE
- Endurance Racing
- Road Race
- Indy Car
- NASCAR

ST47 Compound-
The ultiamate competition brake pad? Maybe. If you want a very strong initial bite, very little fade and minimal wear for a competition brake pad the ST47 may be what you need. With a temperature range rated at 1300°F the ST47 pad works well in high braking environments. NASCAR Short tracks and NASCAR road racing tracks to name two. ST47 pads are used widely in SCCA, NASA and other sportscar competition series. While the ST43 compound may be the norm in HPDE, open track and endurance events, the ST47 compound brings a bit more aggressiveness to the track. Mostly for dedicated track cars running slicks or very sticky tires. As a side note, the ST47 is the predecessor to the ST41 compound. The main difference is the ST47 has made improvements on fade resistance and brake wear over the ST41 compound.

Commonly used in:
- Open Track / HPDE
- Rally WRC/S2000/Rally Gr. N
- Road Race
- Indy Car
- NASCAR

I like to use the ST43's in the back and the ST47's in front. Good balance.

Last edited by moose.b3; 04-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:18 PM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the detailed info!
Old 04-09-2017, 01:04 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
Extremely broad topic....there's no right answer here.

My customer base can get a number of answers on this. From a couple of street compounds to ones that will perform well in AX type of events only to ones that are dedicated open track use.

Variations in tires, track surface, experience, type event, speed, car weight, car balance, track demands.....The goal is good modulation with enough bite to slow to the needs of the event without fade over overheating.

Three common uses in Wilwood land:

Street: low dust, low noise, long wear. BP10 or BP20

Autocross: cold response, decent wear, no fading, no grabbing, good recovery. BP20s, and Poly E.

Open track: fade resistance, even torque curve, reasonable wear rate, not overpowering. Poly B for the DOT street tire and new driver, moving to Poly H for the more experienced and dedicated race rubber, to possibly Poly A with extreme demands (hard on rotors)

Never expect all of that from one pad. Just doesn't work that way.

Try to stay "in family" meaning swapping from mfg to mfg can be problematic.

Don't worry too much about what "the other guy" is using. Use what works for you to start. Then explore alternative compounds in family first before you jump ship just because the guy who won is using Brand X pads. It's more likely his experience level is the main reason he's winning not just his pads.
I want low dust, low noise and long wear for my 2017 Grand Sport. How do I get them?
Old 04-09-2017, 02:56 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by sdurg24
I want low dust, low noise and long wear for my 2017 Grand Sport. How do I get them?
Try some cheap AutoZone ceramic pads etc. Steer clear of anything labeled "performance" or "metallic" pads. You're after generic low end stuff. Not bad thing...Just don't expect much from them
Old 04-10-2017, 07:08 AM
RDP Store
Supporting Vendor

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

Keep the info coming, there are so many choices I am glad everyone is coming to one place to share.

I started off with the Hawk DTC's then went to Carbotech to PFC. Looks like Raybestos is a pretty strong favorite. I will have to give them a go and look for them soon on RDPStore.com

Last edited by RDP Store; 04-10-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:12 AM
RDP Store
Supporting Vendor

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

RDP STORE is going to be at Chin Motorsports Memorial Day weekend at both Pitt Race and Mid Ohio. Let us know what you want and need at this event and if you need any track side help we are there for you.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:58 AM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I started out using Hawk, Cobalt and Carbotech and liked them a lot with stock rotors. But as I got faster I upgraded to AP Racing brakes. I have used the PFC 01 all around on their Radical kit and they are the **** (I give them A rating)!!! I did manage to get a cracked rotor (I believe because of uneven cooling) on the front left. So I was talked into trying the Ferodo DSUNO pads as being a friendlier compound on rotors. I would say they are a good choice (B+/A- rating in my opinion) but their stopping distance is easily 50-70 feet longer than PFC when entering a SLOW speed corner at high speeds. I will be going back to PFC 01 next time. No more Ferodo for me.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:16 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
Ran carbotechs, raybestos, and wilwoods over the last 5 years in racing. ST41s and ST43s, no complaints. Run wilwood H pads now through TCE Todd. Amazing wear.
My experience exactly...I love the ST43's but after trying the WW H pad compound I'm sold. Excellent wear, amazing stopping power, with minimal rotor impact...for a racing pad.

Also a big shout out to Todd at TCE. Best vendor experience I've had on CF
Old 05-19-2017, 10:05 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've run Cobalt XR2 or XR1 for several years and have had great experience.

Pros, incredible brake torque, good modulation, strong cold bite (much better than PFC), not sensitive to bedding issues when switching from street pads

Cons, expensive, dusty, rivet mounted material so the last 5mm is wasted, noisy if cold

I drive my car to the track so I needed something with good cold bite in addition to track performance.

XR1 and XR2 are a full race compound, I've worked on World Challenge, Grand Am, and ALMS GT2 cars that have used the same compounds. In fact, one team switched from a PFC sponsorship to cobalt because the drivers all preferred the pad performance.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Gents:

You may want to reach out to Danny Puskar at G-LOC (www.G-LOCBrakes.com). He'll give you sound advice on brake pad options for a variety of uses.

Feff
Old 05-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you want a quality low dust pad I would recommend the Carbotech 1521 100% made in the USA. Non-corrosive dust will not harm your wheels or paint.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-21-2017, 12:43 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

I love my Hawk HP Pluses with my Baer 6S calipers on all four for autocrossing my 89. My grocery getting Corvettes work real well for getting the groceries with OEM pads

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Brake Pads..........