Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STANG KILLA goes "racin" Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 PM
michel944
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Verrrrrrry nice job on that car Stang !!! She's a beauty ! Autocross was my game for 17 years in which I won 14 Quebec Championships so I really liked watching your vid.....You could have done those low 46's, believe me....Just some more practice in the car and some better lines and you'll be right there with these guys !
Old 04-12-2017, 09:03 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

thanks a ton Michel, means alot coming from a fastard like yourself!
and congrats on the Championships!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:28 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Is there a reason why you went with 10.5/315 square vs the 11/315F 13/335R?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:25 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

i like the feel/rotation/livelyness of a square setup.
also i like to be able to rotate the tires for more life.
also cheaper, especially the wheels.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:08 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice write up and personal touches to your car! I can't leave well enough alone either lol

Keep at it and I have no doubt you'll be faster in this car than your Camaro.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:15 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

even with the valves open on the stock NPP exhaust, the car wasnt loud enough for me.

i picked up some 3" Dynomax mini race bullets and turndowns
getting the car high enough in the driveway to get the stock exhaust out was quiet tricky. passenger side was even harder than drivers side.
Name:  8zE7UYO.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  314.9 KB

plan was to also shave a TON of weight.
Name:  VSOZf4c.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  406.5 KB

bullets on
Name:  grZlmeH.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  308.0 KB

turn downs (for what!)
Name:  lySt1pc.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  288.8 KB

now im used to a loud car, my SS was usually always the loudest car at the track. running a single 12" Dynomax bullet dumping under the rear seats.
but this was TOO loud even for me. it sounded like 7 nascars and 2 prostocks all fireing up at the same time! theres no way i could ever drive anywhere without being immediately pulled over.

the camera could NOT pick up how loud this thing was. shaking the ground. my wife had ear plugs in filming this

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 07-22-2017 at 07:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RHammC6Z06 (09-12-2022)
Old 04-16-2017, 03:45 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

well i pulled a last minute thrash session and got the stock exhaust put back on the night before and headed back to TWS last weekend.

Name:  JUq6YSx.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  335.2 KB

and after reading a thread on c6 z06 aero lift, i also removed the front air damn under the radiator/nose. it seems to help. wasnt near as dancy and it was the first time.

the auto cross really helped me and i was able to push much harder this time. was comfortable enough to start throttle steering on exits again like i did in the camaro.
was pushing hard enough id have to do a cool down lap for the water and oil temps after 4 or so straight hot laps. going to need to address that.

i found myself doing more of a stop, pivot, and squirt style driving in the Z06 than i did in the camaro, camaro i did more of a flowing miata style driving. but for some reason this car makes me slam on the brakes, pivot, and then gun it. not sure why, but i noticed it.

was the first time ive ever seen the debris flag for low flying buzzards crossing the paths of the cars on the back stretch. that was a weird one.

found out the Z burn 5 gallons of gas for every 20 minute session.

heres some footage compilation of some of the laps.

Lap time update!
backstory: i use race chrono app for my lap timing. worked great in the camaro (glass t-tops).
well i noticed since using it in the Z06 its been acting weird, it will only records 1 to 3 laps per 10 lap session and the lap times were much slower than i had hoped for 2:04 to 2:09 and very random. (1:59 was fastest in camaro)
well during the video editing i mark the time for the start of each lap for each view.
well i noticed one of the lap markers was exactly 2 minutes apart. and then after that the next two were 1:59s! matching the fastest of the camaro!
well when i got to the 5th gopro footage and i had two laps that were 1:57!!! i checked them twice on both cameras that were rolling and i got 1:57 each time for both laps.
i couldnt figure out why i felt like i was hauling and the lap times were so slow. i dont know if the roof is carbon fiber like the fenders and not allowing good GPS signal or what. but a huge relief that the new car has already paid off in lap times! i couldnt figure out what i was doing wrong. stupid technology.

Name:  kW6eH4H.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  312.3 KB

bad news is on sunday on the last session before lunch i got an engine light on the dash, and the car started to run rough, getting progressively worse. so i loaded it up and brought it home.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 07-22-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:05 PM
AND0
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

Corvettes do not suffer from an excess of steering feel.
But consider delrin control arm bushings. Definitely sharpens things up a bit.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

well in an effort lower my oil and water temp, and to reduce the high pressure packing under the hood causing my front end aero lift at high speeds on the track, i picked up a 5th gen camaro SS heat extractor vent (part #22828242)

started by checking clearances with some string. there was none. but the strings were 1/2" below the hood line, and plus i forgot the hood has a bulge in the middle.
Name:  cR11Orv.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  116.4 KB

started by tracing the vent onto a piece of paper, then offsetting in .6" with another line for the actual hole
Name:  JV3o5HE.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  56.3 KB

marking front to back
Name:  u80pe6p.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  73.1 KB

marking side to side center
Name:  FhYHHhK.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  58.1 KB

pattern cut out and taped into place. 6.5" from back of hood to the start of the opening (just inside under hood structure brace)
Name:  S396ro2.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  100.1 KB

traced with sharpie
Name:  atWYAee.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  73.0 KB

BUTT PUCKER!!!!!!!! took one deep breath and drilled four 1/2" holes.
tape to protect paint
Name:  qRofHN6.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  107.8 KB

took my jig saw and cut it out. worked perfect. super clean cuts.
Name:  YUaeBui.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  117.4 KB

under side. bent up some 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum and bolted it in
Name:  Ol8bFgg.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  71.9 KB

painted the aluminum brackets black, and cut out the factory hood insulation for a factory look.
Name:  qyOJWiH.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  130.6 KB

finished!
Name:  2H9gIc0.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  373.2 KB

Name:  PHIVOP5.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  347.3 KB

Name:  hwNksku.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  337.6 KB

Name:  yWOEn4x.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  342.0 KB

Name:  efMXrPF.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  337.7 KB

took it out for test drive on the street and after warmed up you could see a 6"-8" heat wave shooting out of the vents at stop lights. after sitting for a few hours back at home, the hood was stone cold, and you could still feel heat coming out of the vents.
anxious to get back to the track to see if its more front end planted, and if my temps lower

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 07-22-2017 at 08:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by STANG KILLA SS:
fruitsalad (04-27-2017), Junglepeanut (06-03-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 PM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

WOW that looks like it could of/should of come from the factory that way. I am amazed how well it matches the lines and shape. Great work? How much does the vent cost?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

thanks, i agree. especially with the ZR1 window, it makes this look pretty natural there.
paid $111 off ebay from a dealership
Old 04-25-2017, 03:22 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

What do you think the root cause of that rocket bolt backing out was? Not torqued correctly?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:54 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

will never know. they were all torqued with a digital snap-on torque wrench by me and a buddy. at least 3 passes per bolt.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:55 PM
michel944
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That vent looks awesome, great work ! Man, you have a lot more "manual" talent than I'll ever have !!!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:49 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
well in an effort lower my oil and water temp, and to reduce the high pressure packing under the hood causing my front end aero lift at high speeds on the track, i picked up a 5th gen camaro SS heat extractor vent (part #22828242)

BUTT PUCKER!!!!!!!! took one deep breath and drilled four 1/2" holes.
tape to protect paint

took it out for test drive on the street and after warmed up you could see a 6"-8" heat wave shooting out of the vents at stop lights. after sitting for a few hours back at home, the hood was stone cold, and you could still feel heat coming out of the vents.
anxious to get back to the track to see if its more front end planted, and if my temps lower
Butt pucker indeed, takes a lot of guts to start cutting body parts.
Looks fantastic though. Will be keeping an eye on your results with the cooling and down force changes.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:38 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

well before buying it, i had heard alot that the C6 seats were crap, and after doing some track time in them they were right.
ive been eyeing some cheap race seats on ebay for a few months, i wanted fixed position fiberglass seats. but sadly when i was finally ready to buy the ones i wanted(NRG) were sold out everywhere.
but these "Invictus" seats poped up that hadnt shown up in any of my previous searches. the shoulder area was a little narrower than i would have preferred. these also came with the side mounts which i wanted. most of the side mounts i saw sold separately were in the $125+ range per seat
i liked what i saw and the dimensions fit so i offered them $175 per seat and they immediately accepted.
when they came in i was happy with the quality.
Name:  9OqSwIY.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  186.3 KB

i took some measurements and drew up a design in CAD for the mounting rails. i kept them low as possible as id read helmet/roof room was an issue.
Name:  RwX1VfF.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  49.7 KB

picked up some 2" X 1/8" steel and after two evenings had the rails made.
Name:  OeokbdG.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  324.4 KB

kept the rails super low. the rail and bolt head actually touch the carpet. mounted with grade 8s.
Name:  4ps3Nz9.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  245.8 KB

painted
Name:  q4VVfGJ.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  288.0 KB

mounted
Name:  8BUAMcQ.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  167.8 KB

i was out of time and money before the next track weekend, so didnt go to harness's yet. picked up these seatbelt extenders to use as buckles to bolt to the cars floor.
Name:  DddX9h9.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  406.0 KB

unfortunatly when i tried to bend the hardened steel male buckle it snapped when i went past 35-40 degrees. so i welded them up at about 50-55 degrees to clear the seat rails. bolted them to the floor and worked perfect!
Name:  HfpyQ2H.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  262.7 KB

in! after these pics i unbolted the shoulder harness and ran it threw the upper harness hole. i didnt like not feeling the strap on my shoulder.
Name:  OgGxOxn.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  144.3 KB

Name:  iKhZ2id.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  161.6 KB

best news is i got no dash lights or chimes with the stock buckles and electrical connections no longer existing. i was worried about that. i do have an airbag light from the missing/unpluged seat airbags.
also i have a good 1-2" of helmet clearance with the roof.

Weights:
Stock driver seat with air bag, motor, and rails : 49lbs
stock passenger seat with airbag and rails : 39 lbs
Invictus seat with homemade rails : 22 lbs
total weight savings : 44 lbs

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 07-22-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:40 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

headed back to the track last weekend and got to try the latest round of mods. hood vent and seats.

hood vent:
the vent did work and helped a bit with cooling but not a huge difference. at when stopped you can defiantly see the heat pouring out of it. it took a tad longer to get to the uncomfortable water/oil temps. and allowed me to run at the top of that range a bit longer, but im guessing no more than a 5-10 degree difference in MAX temps before i did a cool down lap. conditions were identical at 85 ambient before and after. not sure if the cooling effects would be more pronounced on a 100* day. i do fell like it helped with the front end aero lift though. between the hood vent, and removing the air dam i really didnt feel the dancing i was getting before from the front end at top speed.

seats:
seats and mounts did great. super solid. the lower portion of the seat really held me in place very well. but as i suspected the narrower (than most race seats) shoulder width didnt hold my upper body as good as i would have liked in hard cornering. better than stock, but i still had to hang on pretty good, and my shoulders were sore as hell from it.

the place was more packed than id ever seen it. with lots of new cars. including this Superlite SL-C. must have been a new car shake down because he was off pace all weekend. i thought the nitto Envos were an odd choice for such a high end car. LS3 powered.

Name:  qO93Bz7.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  187.2 KB

Name:  8AT6JIV.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  201.3 KB

Name:  JYClpkc.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  234.0 KB

Name:  kYEsBCd.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  259.7 KB

this guy also showed up. i think he was lost
Name:  w5uvM5R.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  212.9 KB

Lap times:
with my previous issues with the lap timer, i moved my phone to a suction mount in the windshield. this seemed to solve the issues, i was getting consistent lap times/gps signal.
Saturday it said i was running fastest of 1:57s, and by sunday my tires were gone, this was there 4th and final weekend. but it said sunday i was running bests of 1:58s. i was really have to tip toe exits sunday. felt like it would spin at any time applying power.
however when i came home to look threw all the gopro footage i was only seeing bests of 1:59s. i think it may be time for an external gps sensor.
however there was one lap showing a 4 second difference in the start/finish times on the gopro so i ran it threw my editing program and did frame by frame start and finish and it said i ran a 1:56!
Name:  gqmG4K9.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  107.4 KB
i couldnt believe it. thats 4 seconds faster than my best ever in the camaro.
i dont have it confirmed by gps timer, but at this point i have more faith in the footage than the timer. sadly the timer wasnt running during this session.

this is that lap.

and for the first time ever the vette lasted the entire weekend without breaking anything! super stoked about that. shes finally getting there. had a blast.

1 weekend of fun = 3 hours of rubber scrubbing....
Name:  JOHAXMx.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  271.4 KB

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 07-22-2017 at 08:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by STANG KILLA SS:
Chiselchst (05-18-2017), Junglepeanut (06-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To STANG KILLA goes "racin" Part 2

Old 05-15-2017, 07:51 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like you're having so much fun.

A full containment seat will definitely help with the upper body, but you may not like the lack of visibility on the street. There is one seat on the market that has removable halos, as well.

How are your front brakes looking? Pull the front calipers off the rotors and inspect the rubber dust boots. They will eventually melt if you are braking hard enough on an aggressive compound + sticky tires.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:16 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

i am!
yeah full containment is out. but in the future i may swap the seats out for something with allitle more wrap around shoulder support. especially now that i know i have the room for it.

thanks for the tip, ill look into that.
typically im not a threshold braker, but with that being said i did find myself several times that weekend getting the brake wiggle/front rear dance, enough to need quite a bit of steering correction, so maybe im braking harder than im giving credit for. but its rare.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Glad to see that vent did a little bit of good after all the work put in. This may be something I give a shot down the road because of its functionality of course (and it looks bad ***).

You should log those times over a tracklaps! http://www.tracklaps.net/index.php

Quick Reply: STANG KILLA goes "racin" Part 2