Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alonso Indy theory

Old 04-15-2017, 03:20 PM
ooldguy93
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alonso Indy theory

As I recall team Andretti is using Honda engines

As I recall McLaren is getting a great deal ( possibly n/c ) for the Honda F1 engine program as Honda is, certainly, down on power ( again )

The McLaren team manager seemed happy with Fernando missing Monaco to go to Indy

I'd guess Honda decided they'd get waaaay more press with Alonso at Indy then with the 2 McLaren / Honda's finishing 10th - 15th at Monaco
Old 04-16-2017, 09:30 AM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Its just astonishing to me that Honda would essentially fail in F1 a few years back, then decide to come back and not put the resources or have a plan to get them near the front? What is the point?

I think there are a lot of moving parts with Alonso, I agree with your theory I also think they are trying to keep him happy and attract sponsors and, and and.

Like they said, really no downside.

I only hope that Honda has something in the works that will bring them closer to the front (reliably) by the end of the season.

I wonder how old Jenson's fitness is going to be in the new faster, grippier cars? I guess not too many long fast sweepers in Monaco so not as big a deal fitness wise.

I hope Alonso has a good showing at Indy, he needs something positive.

Great to see Bottas on Pole this weekend. Hopefully gives him the confidence he needs to start asserting himself and challenging Hamilton.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:27 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

If I was running Honda, I would be desperate to get the focus off this year's FAILS.
I don't know exactly what their problem is right now, but it's obvious they severely underestimated what it would take to have a quality powerunit.
We are in year 3 and they are actually going backwards!

McLaren HAS to dump Honda or it will ruin their team and possibly their business.
IMO, they have no choice at this point.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Looking fwd to this.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:37 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Looking forward to Alonso's getting to see 230 mph with a big wall just feet away. Indy is a whole 'nother ball game....

Get notified of new replies

To Alonso Indy theory

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alonso Indy theory