Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6pt harness setup help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:01 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 6pt harness setup help

So I recently installed a sharkbar harness bar along with a sparco evo 2 seat but I am really worried about the placement of the straps.

I am using this guide:
https://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Schroth_Installation_Checklist.pdf

the shoulder straps are fine but I am worried about the sub belts the the lap belts.

in the guide they mention that the lap belt needs to be mounted 60 degrees from level with the seat, in my car it is about 90 degrees. The belts don't go back at all they come out of the lap belt openings and connect directly down at 90 degrees from horizontal.

in the guide they mention that the sub belts should be mounted 20 degrees back from vertical with the sun strap opening but on my car it is more like 70 degrees, the sub straps come out of the opening and then connect at the back of the seat.

Is this going to be a problem safety wise? If somebody has a setup that matches the guide more closely can they share it? Maybe a lap belt bar would help me?

Last edited by freaknbigpanda; 04-16-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:03 PM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

Old 04-16-2017, 08:40 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I mounted a pair of Evos on Marrad brackets with Schroth 6 point harnesses, and ran into the same problem. my sub belts are run all the way back to behind the seat from underneath. I don't see how this could be any kind of safety issue, but it does kind of make me wish I had gone 5 point from a comfort standpoint; additionally the 5-point sub belt could have been mounted at the correct angle, since the Marrad bracket has holes running in a line right down the middle of the bracket for mounting vs the holes at the very back for the 6 point sub belt to split.

Last edited by R_W; 04-16-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:40 AM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm less worried about the sub belt, more the lap belts because I don't feel that they fit snug over my pelvis. I think in a crash they would be cutting into my belly due to the angle they are mounted at
Old 04-17-2017, 12:36 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Ahhh, I see.
Well, just an idea here, but could you find an eye-bolt in the same thread pitch as the seat mounting bolts and use said rear eye-bolts to clip the harness into the achieve the proper angle?

EDIT: Or, as a follow-up, I know Marrad sells just the sub-belt mount w/side holes for the lap belts.

Last edited by R_W; 04-17-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:36 PM
_BlueZ06_
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W
Ahhh, I see.
Well, just an idea here, but could you find an eye-bolt in the same thread pitch as the seat mounting bolts and use said rear eye-bolts to clip the harness into the achieve the proper angle?

EDIT: Or, as a follow-up, I know Marrad sells just the sub-belt mount w/side holes for the lap belts.
I had to drill and add eyebolts to get the correct angles for my lap and sub belts.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:56 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by _BlueZ06_
I had to drill and add eyebolts to get the correct angles for my lap and sub belts.
Bingo.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 6pt harness setup help

Quick Reply: 6pt harness setup help