Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your experience with A-Arm bushings or Spherical Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Default Your experience with A-Arm bushings or Spherical Bearings

In my 2015 Z I went with LG's Spherical bearings, really did like the feel, cost is a bit high though.

Now I'm building a new car and starting over, before I buy these same parts again, thought I would reach out and see that others are doing, what their happy with, or not.

Thanks in Advance
Old 04-19-2017, 11:05 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

The difference in the feel of my car was night and day, they also lowered my 60' times on my drag car.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:11 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I would either stay on the stock rubber or go with delrin or sphericals (or a mix [i have a lathe]), I'd avoid poly like the plague.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:53 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Operations
In my 2015 Z I went with LG's Spherical bearings, really did like the feel, cost is a bit high though.

Now I'm building a new car and starting over, before I buy these same parts again, thought I would reach out and see that others are doing, what their happy with, or not.

Thanks in Advance
Soooooo, what are you building????

Wanna trade your sphericals?

Last edited by fmcokc; 04-19-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I sold the car with the sphericals, and pretty much everything else. So I get to start with a clean sheet so to speak

New car is a 2017 Z Callaway that finally arrived
Old 04-19-2017, 07:13 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
I would either stay on the stock rubber or go with delrin or sphericals (or a mix [i have a lathe]), I'd avoid poly like the plague.
can someone explain why this forums collective opinion has shifted in the past 4 years so extremely on this topic?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default poly bushing ?

Here in the Bay Area, we have three tracks to spend time on. I have my 08 C6 set up for these. I have been thinking of changing out my 2nd set of stock bushings to poly or delren. Lou @ LG Motorsports has a poly kit that I am considering. I have another friend who put poly on his Miata and did not like them. Said they would bind up. Would you mind explaining your avoidance comment to this material?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Here in the Bay Area, we have three tracks to spend time on. I have my 08 C6 set up for these. I have been thinking of changing out my 2nd set of stock bushings to poly or delren. Lou @ LG Motorsports has a poly kit that I am considering. I have another friend who put poly on his Miata and did not like them. Said they would bind up. Would you mind explaining your avoidance comment to this material?
ill just quickly add; i have poly bushings and modified control arms with zerk fittings, and use energy suspension poly lube (very sticky). The bushings have been great and move quite freely without being loose. Only issue ive had is needing to flip the forward front UCA dogbones to prevent the cclips popping off.

If memory serves, this forum was paranoid of delrin cracking and raved about poly kits a few years back. Suddenly its backwards. (Spherical bearings have always seemed technically superior albeit useless off track and difficult to correctly install.) The shift probably directly coincides with vendor activity, as unfortunately there is more vendor *** kissing here than facts and data being shared.
The following users liked this post:
larry117 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 AM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

On a bigger faster car like a vette the poly becomes a bit of a wear item. Especially if you're running it hard on sticky tires. The poly will crush and start to come apart. I've had it happen to control arm bushings on my STI. Our STU vette has the borg motorsports delrin kit.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by carefulnow
can someone explain why this forums collective opinion has shifted in the past 4 years so extremely on this topic?
I think because companies have started to make delrin kits for our cars within the last 5 yrs or so. Before then it was, stick with factory rubbers, spend $1500 or so on spherical bearings, or $350 on poly. Delrin is somewhere in the middle on price, and a lot better than poly.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:39 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I agree with you 100% about poly......If anybody wants proof, I have yet to find a high end professional race car built with poly bushings.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

C5 street car, Pfadt poly bushings. 5 years, zero issues, no squeaks or play. But I imagine they'd disintegrate on the track with sticky tires.
C6Z street/track, came with LG monoballs front, Pfadt monoballs rear. Rattled a little, replaced the bearings for very little cash, good as new. Both brands used commercial grade COM10T, available everywhere.
Might be tough to justify the $$ on a street car... easy on a race car!
No personal experience with Delrin on a Corvette application, but I understand that due to the material's stiffness, it's difficult to get adequate caster?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:33 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Ive had van steel delrin in my C6 Z for almost a year now. Great upgrade over rubber. They are slightly harsher than the rubber for street driving. The only downside is they class you out of AS and SSR.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:56 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

If you have the money (you are getting a Callaway ), no question get sphericals. I've run pfadts on my racecar for 4 years and I got them used. I've replaced the rear bearings this year.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
If you have the money (you are getting a Callaway ), no question get sphericals. I've run pfadts on my racecar for 4 years and I got them used. I've replaced the rear bearings this year.
After watching these posts I could see the best option is still the spherical"s, so I went ahead and ordered some.

I appreciate everybody's comments, Thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:59 PM
AND0
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

Polyurethane is still a good option for many circumstances.

I've got poly in my C5Z that's been there for over three years now with no noticeable wear or degradation. I drilled the control arms for zerks, and I drilled the bushings so the grease could get to the ends and keep the whole bushing lubed and squeak free. I use marine water proof grease and at least check or add grease every time I switch the tires. I can run reasonable camber 1.7 degrees with excellent edge wear unlike stock rubber bushings.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:12 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Not all poly is created equal. I checked different ones with a durometer.

This is what happens to poly.

Richard Newton
Spherical Bearings 101
Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Originally Posted by rfn026
Not all poly is created equal. I checked different ones with a durometer.

This is what happens to poly.

Richard Newton
Spherical Bearings 101
Yikes.

Did that grease harden and lose its lubricity, causing them to tear apart under twist?

Or did they simply dry out and disintegrate ?

Where were those bushings sourced btw? I have pfadt's from 2012.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:32 PM
crznZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had stock, VBP poly, Van Steel delrin, and Borg delrin bushings.

The poly started binding and squeaking after a couple of months. When it bound up, it made the car handle unpredictably. VBP always was easy to work with, though.

Van Steel delrin bushings, fitted by them, started groaning after a few hundred miles. It turned out that the delrin was rotating within the control arm. They said my control arms were probably out of round. They went through the motions to take care of me, but there wasn't really any effort behind it.

Now, I have Borg offset (pinned) bushings. I think my control arms might be one of the later prototype sets in his installation videos. I'll be frank, after my prior experiences, I'm an @$$hole out of the gates to deal with. There are a million things that go wrong with GM's lousy build tolerances, whatever prior owners did to the car, but didn't tell you about, stuff you bent on the car, but didn't realize (I actually believe the control arms CAN deform with aggressive use on sticky tires, even when the car hasn't been crashed), etc. Lane worked with me, and although it took some time, he took care of me and installed the bushings, and my car has silly grip and is a lot more precise without any bushing noise.

Yesterday, I drove my c5 (stock engine, but I suspect my suspension is fairly dialed in with Strano parts) back to back with a c6 (425 hp to the wheels, but only DRM-valved Bilsteins). Not apples to apples, but... My car was on fresher tires, and is on a square setup. My car had WAY better reaction time to my steering inputs, and I could be a lot more aggressive with the throttle. Sticking the C6's engine into my car would be a stupidly fast combination.

My advice is stay with stock rubber or go delrin. I'm sure AMT, DRM, and LG make good solid bushings, but I can't afford them. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Your experience with A-Arm bushings or Spherical Bearings

Quick Reply: Your experience with A-Arm bushings or Spherical Bearings