Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first time on the NCM track...need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default My first time on the NCM track...need advice...

So it was my first time out on the track. It was under "pace speeds" but they were moving right along. I have a superchagered 2002 c5 with c6 zo6 shocks and c5 zo6 sway bars with metal end links. No other chassis or suspension upgrades. I run Bridgestone potenza RE760 tires. They are about 4 years old and have about half tread life still on them. I have brake motive drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads on it.

So now where do I begin lol. I was placed into a group of c7s. Most knew there way around the track. I had never been on. I tried like crazy to keep up. Quite a challenge though. The first time out I just felt the car was gonna break loose going around some corners at around 90 mph. After my first run, I went for a ride in two c7s that were part of this group. Both handled so much better then mine. Mine had the tires chirping and at points the car just felt like the back end was gonna come loose. My braking, I was worried I would be too hard on them but compared to the guys driving the c7s I was babying my brakes. They were going very hard on them.

So are my assumptions correct in that the stock c7 can handle a lot better vs mine on the track?

Are my c6 shocks and c5zo6 sways not good enough or what can be done to make it handle better?

Are my 4 year old tires the main culprit? Well in addition to me not having any track experience.

I know I shouldn't try to compare my 15 year old c5 to a brand new c7 but that's the group I was put in with.

Thanks for thoughts, opinions and input.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 04-26-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:58 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 265 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
So it was my first time out on the track. It was under "pace speeds" but they were moving right along. I have a superchagered 2002 c5 with c6 zo6 shocks and c5 zo6 sway bars with metal end links. No other chassis or suspension upgrades. I run Bridgestone potenza RE760 tires. They are about 4 years old and have about half tread life still on them. I have brake motive drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads on it.

So now where do I begin lol. I was placed into a group of c7s. Most knew there way around the track. I had never been on. I tried like crazy to keep up. Quite a challenge though. The first time out I just felt the car was gonna break loose going around some corners at around 90 mph. After my first run, I went for a ride in two c7s that were part of this group. Both handled so much better then mine. Mine had the tires chirping and at points the car just felt like the back end was gonna come loose. My braking, I was worried I would be too hard on them but compared to the guys driving the c7s I was babying my brakes. They were going very hard on them.

So are my assumptions correct in that the stock c7 can handle a lot better vs mine on the track?

Are my c6 shocks and c5zo6 sways not good enough or what can be done to make it handle better?

Are my 4 year old tires the main culprit? Well in addition to me not having any track experience.

I know I shouldn't try to compare my 15 year old c5 to a brand new c7 but that's the group I was put in with.

Thanks for thoughts, opinions and input.
Ok a few hints here yes a C7 is much better, however your ceramic pads are for street driving an keeping things clean not track.
Four old tires are hard and slippery. so yes you can do better if you wish to learn, however you may not be able to keep up with a C7 with out more track time and instruction
Old 04-26-2017, 10:17 PM
Josh67
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fresh tires, some nice Centric high carbon rotors and a set of track pads like Carbotech xp12s will get you a long ways. Autocrossing every weekend will help out too.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:54 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,751 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

To mimic what the others have said, your car is not as good as a C7. Since it sounds like this is your first event on track ever (not just NCM) then I would suggest keeping the low grip tires on. They will help you learn car control and the importantce of being smooth. I will say proper brake pads and good fluid are a must so you do not overheat them.

Keep in mind also, that riding can sometimes be a little more "scary" than driving yourself because you are not in control. It always feels a little different on that side of the car. You may not be as far off as you think, just have to refine your technique a little.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Thanks everybody on the points! I do appreciate it! Josh and or others...I read that the Centric High Carbon and the Centric Powerstop rotors were the same as the Brakemotive Rotors. Anybody hear the same?

Get notified of new replies

To My first time on the NCM track...need advice...

Quick Reply: My first time on the NCM track...need advice...