Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race seats/belts: airbag light & seat belt chime?

Old 04-28-2017, 10:01 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Race seats/belts: airbag light & seat belt chime?

just installed race seats in my 09

#1. i have side curtain airbags in the factory seats. obviously those are gone and the all the plugs that went to the seats electronics are obviously unplugged. ive got an airbag light on the dash.
anyway to get rid of that?
also will the steering wheel airbag still work?

#2. obviously the factory seat belts arent going to be buckled. and even if they were the electronic plugs/sensors arent pluged into anything any more with the factory seats being gone. i havent driven the car more than just moving it around in the driveway/garage (still installing).
am i going to get a seat belt light?
is it going to constantly chime and put a message in the DIC to buckle seatbelts?
anyway to get rid of this?

i hate electronic cars
Old 04-28-2017, 12:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

You will get an air bag light but that is a so what type of thing. The seat belt warning will flash and you may get a chime when the car first starts moving but after that all you have is the red seat belt light and the air bag light which really aren't annoying.

Bill
Old 04-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

You need this for the airbag light: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...ms0j79l1qqtdr1

and you need this for the seatbelt warning: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...roducts_id=148
Old 04-28-2017, 03:20 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

ok i was worried it was gonna chime every 30 seconds warning about seat belt that would get annoying on track and on the street, ive had other GMs do that.
i can deal with dash lights.

will it lock the DIC to "fasten safety belt"? and not be able to get to the other gauges? ive had vehicles do that as well, my jeep has "low spare tire pressure" and until you air it up, you cant get to anything else in the DIC, like trip meter, psi's etc.

thanks Bill
Old 04-28-2017, 03:22 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mordeth
You need this for the airbag light: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...ms0j79l1qqtdr1

and you need this for the seatbelt warning: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...roducts_id=148
awesome! price is a little steep for the airbag light, but i may get that.
i can pick up some junk yard buckles for the male buckle.
many thanks for the links. i hadnt found those.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:29 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

No prob. Take a look at these too, they work:

Drivers seat: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...roducts_id=158

This has drivers seat and telescoping steering wheel: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...roducts_id=233
Old 04-28-2017, 03:34 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

ive got home fabbed rails so the first one wouldnt work,
but that second one. sucks to know the telescoping wheel wont work anymore. i hope i had it all the way out when i unplugged it.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:52 PM
_BlueZ06_
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Seat

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
ive got home fabbed rails so the first one wouldnt work,
but that second one. sucks to know the telescoping wheel wont work anymore. i hope i had it all the way out when i unplugged it.
Seat belt won't chime or it hasn't with my race seat installed in my 2008 at least. Telescoping steering wheel won't work, but set it before you remove the seat (if it's not too late). You can opt for the plugs if you still want the functionality.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:00 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Is this a street car or a race car? Either way you really don't want an airbag in the car if you have a race seat and you're using a harness. Don't know if there is a way to completely disable the air bag without removing, but you may want to look in to that. Or just don't hit anything!
Old 04-29-2017, 12:09 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

finished the install and took it for test drive. airbag light was on. but no seatbelt light, no chime, and no DIC message. great news.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:12 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Is this a street car or a race car? Either way you really don't want an airbag in the car if you have a race seat and you're using a harness. Don't know if there is a way to completely disable the air bag without removing, but you may want to look in to that. Or just don't hit anything!
its a race car, but street legal. i do drive it to gas station between sessions for fuel.

race wheel is next on the list.

staying off the wall is the plan.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand what harm an airbag will do in a car with a race seat and harness. What would be the concern?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:02 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Liquid1
I don't understand what harm an airbag will do in a car with a race seat and harness. What would be the concern?
With a seat, harness and HANS, your body doesn't move toward the wheel in an impact. So your whole body stays put in the seat and the airbag explodes in your face.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:35 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

With a seat, harness and HANS, your body doesn't move toward the wheel in an impact. So your whole body stays put in the seat and the airbag explodes in your face.
I've had an airbag go off while instructing someone (from passenger seat) and aside from the powder/dust, nothing much of concern, certainly not with a full face helmet on.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:00 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by harrydirty
I've had an airbag go off while instructing someone (from passenger seat) and aside from the powder/dust, nothing much of concern, certainly not with a full face helmet on.
You got lucky (assuming you had a seat, harness, and HANS in the passenger seat). There's a reason race cars don't have airbags.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:05 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

You got lucky (assuming you had a seat, harness, and HANS in the passenger seat). There's a reason race cars don't have airbags.
No HANS, seat or harness, just regular three point belt and yeah, you are right in that I was lucky. Impact was rear quarter panel into a K wall and we were going mostly sideways, so I was back in my seat already, not going forward. The impact was on my side, so I was looking at the K wall we were going to impact and the air bag was just an afterthought; it all happened very quickly.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by harrydirty
No HANS, seat or harness, just regular three point belt and yeah, you are right in that I was lucky. Impact was rear quarter panel into a K wall and we were going mostly sideways, so I was back in my seat already, not going forward. The impact was on my side, so I was looking at the K wall we were going to impact and the air bag was just an afterthought; it all happened very quickly.
Ah, well with regular restraints an airbag does it's job. Your chest moves forward, and the airbag absorbs impact for your torso and head. But when you're cinched down and your body is not moving towards the airbag, it's a powerful explosion going off in your crashed race car for no reason.

Get notified of new replies

To Race seats/belts: airbag light & seat belt chime?

Old 05-04-2017, 06:54 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
sucks to know the telescoping wheel wont work anymore. i hope i had it all the way out when i unplugged it.
Remove the module and harness from the seat and attach either to the seat back or the carpet on the rear bulkhead.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:44 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Mark - not following you 100% here. By "explodes in your face" do you mean hits your face only because your torso is restrained by harness? If so, how much of an issue is this with a full face helmet on?

I realize race cars do not have airbags but always assumed some of that was a) to avoid it going off when trading paint, intentionally or otherwise b) weight c) cost and d) cage and other safety enhancements to car and chassis are sufficient to not need them if they are accompanied by the issues of a, b and c

Last edited by TKOGTO; 05-25-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

b is the correct answer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Race seats/belts: airbag light & seat belt chime?