Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Advice… what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Tire Advice… what would you do?

I have a track day end of this month 3hrs away. Not sure my current 295/18 R888Rs will make it… pic below.
1 looks good, 1 ok, but 2 are pretty worn. Some options:

I do have spare set of 17” wheels.

- Run the Toyos
- Replace with new set… likely 275/18 Federal RS-RRs.
- Purchase 4 RS-RRs and have a friend load in his trailer. If I wear my R888Rs, they have tire service at the track.
- Go with 2nd set on 17s… 4 RS-RR 255/17s?? Cheap, but not much tire. And use up my Toyos later. Or maybe 275/17 NT01s.
- Purchase 2 17” GS wheels for staggered 275/315 NT01s… I’ve been wanting to try staggered. Then use up my Toyos later.

What would you do?

Based on NT01s seems I have a lot left in these, but with 6hrs of driving I have no clue.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Some of these folks will give you a better recommendation on swapping tires.

But, I can tell you 6hrs of driving is not going to give you any additional wear at all. It shouldn't even be a factor, 6hrs of street commute is nothing. However, 6hrs on worn R888R's in very heavy rain is a different story... If the weather looks dry, I'd stick with the R888R's and use them up.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 05-09-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Thanks! In person 2 look worse than the pic shows. I'm going to run the 888Rs and have a friend take my new RS-RR tires just in case. NT01s seemed I went way past the tread before they corded.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Some of these folks will give you a better recommendation on swapping tires.

But, I can tell you 6hrs of driving is not going to give you any additional wear at all. It shouldn't even be a factor, 6hrs of street commute is nothing. However, 6hrs on worn R888R's in very heavy rain is a different story... If the weather looks dry, I'd stick with the R888R's and use them up.

Street driving will not WEAR them much, however, chances of a flat are pretty significant when track tires get that worn. I would pack a backup pair of MOUNTED tires just so you don't take a chance on ending up at the side of the road during your group run times.

I just dismounted some NT-05's that were worn out & surprised myself that I had put 3 plugs in them & kept going (not track).

At least bring air & a good plug kit if not mounted tires. Sometimes it's easy to plug, sometimes it's pretty hard. I like to use a drill to make the plug hole instead of the little hand tool.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I would pack a backup pair of MOUNTED tires just so you don't take a chance on ending up at the side of the road during your group run times.

At least bring air & a good plug kit if not mounted tires. Sometimes it's easy to plug, sometimes it's pretty hard. I like to use a drill to make the plug hole instead of the little hand tool.
Excellent advice. I'll have to remember this for myself too.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:17 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I prioritize my tire budget over lap-times but I always have spares (low grip tires is a learning opportunity!). Dry weather permitting, I would run the Toyo tires backwards to have the two with the best shoulders on the the "loaded" side of the car for that track.

Good luck!

Tim
Old 05-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Thought about this and only $5 a tire (without balance), but my outsides look pretty good to me. Most of my wear seemed to be in the center on the rears.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:00 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If chance of wet weather, put on the new tires for the trip down and swap to old at the track. Also let some air out of those rear tires before going on track (inner wear indicates too high of pressures).

Last edited by SunnydayDILYSI; 05-16-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Advice… what would you do?

Quick Reply: Tire Advice… what would you do?