Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 grand sport and Z06 Road Race cars. Are you using ABS??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:31 PM
bssofro
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 grand sport and Z06 Road Race cars. Are you using ABS??

For those that are road racing their C6's, are the ABS and TC systems working ?

Are they operational or does the computer flip out as it senses yaw and wheel spin?

What set up are you using to allow for the factory ABS system to work?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

ABS - yes
TC / Active Handling - no
Old 05-14-2017, 11:26 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
ABS - yes
Same. Turn TC off.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:46 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Related, you will want this.

White's reprogramming works flawlessly.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:46 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
ABS - yes
Old 05-19-2017, 09:28 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Same as most everyone.. Yes ABS- Everything else, no
Old 05-23-2017, 02:24 PM
racer778
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tc/ah off

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
Same as most everyone.. Yes ABS- Everything else, no

as everyone else. DO NOT leave those two (TC/AH )on at the track. I made the mistake of leaving them on my first run at COTA a few months ago and it almost sent me into the wall at over 90MPH after turn 19. Active Handling will kick in at the most inopportune time and scare the daylights out of you.

Last edited by racer778; 05-28-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: removed ABS replaced with Active Handling thanks MikeCsix
Old 05-23-2017, 03:15 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by racer778
as everyone else. DO NOT leave those two (TC/AH )on at the track. I made the mistake of leaving them on my first run at COTA a few months ago and it almost sent me into the wall at over 90MPH after turn 19. ABS will kick in at the most inopportune time and scare the daylights out of you.
Did you mean to say AH instead of ABS?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:26 PM
Eyedeas
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AH wants to kill you. Like it desperately wants to. If I ever forget to turn it off it makes itself known usually at a really inopportune time.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm going to be either removing my ABS system or updating to the newer Bosch system. Might eliminate it for now and then update later.

I had it go into ice mode and send me off track at the last race I went to. I was running on Hoosier DOT slicks with coilovers and Cobalt XR2 pads and the factory ABS just couldn't keep up.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:09 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
I'm going to be either removing my ABS system or updating to the newer Bosch system. Might eliminate it for now and then update later.

I had it go into ice mode and send me off track at the last race I went to. I was running on Hoosier DOT slicks with coilovers and Cobalt XR2 pads and the factory ABS just couldn't keep up.
I have been running absfixer modification for quite a while now. I have experienced the 'ice' mode a few times until I also added the new 14" rotors and aero race calipers by wilwood. I think that the gas barrier between hot pad and hot rotor gets blamed for ice mode at times. The ABSFixer mod on my C5Z is probably good enough now. I would hate to open up a new can of worms when the current set up works well fully loaded with passenger and going deep into threshold area.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I have been running absfixer modification for quite a while now. I have experienced the 'ice' mode a few times until I also added the new 14" rotors and aero race calipers by wilwood. I think that the gas barrier between hot pad and hot rotor gets blamed for ice mode at times. The ABSFixer mod on my C5Z is probably good enough now. I would hate to open up a new can of worms when the current set up works well fully loaded with passenger and going deep into threshold area.
ABS fixer? I can't say I'm familiar with that.

And modern pads don't really produce enough gas to be a problem, not like the old days where they needed drilled rotors to handle all of it.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

On my C6Z I tended to turn off AH and TC although there were times I forgot. If you are a smooth driver you can put in a lot of laps before you make a large enough mistake to activate it.

It doesn't activate if the car is going where you are pointing the steering wheel AND IT DOES NOT PULL YOU OFF THE ROAD OR TRACK OR CAUSE YOU TO SPIN.

When I forgot to turn it off at the Glen there were two places where I would start to notice it activating and that was going through T11 and T2. In both of those right turns I could feel the right front brake pulsing to pull the car more in line with where I had the steering wheel pointed. It felt just like any ABS activity but it was just the right front wheel and only for a brief spurt. T11 most cars are apexing in the 70 to 80 mph range while they are apexing T2 in the 105 to 115 mph range. This was with WOT or near WOT in those turns.

When it was activating was in the spots where I was making mistakes and not hitting my marks properly since if I drove into the turns hitting my marks it wouldn't activate at all. There may have been some not so noticeable activations but since I didn't notice them I can't say they happened. My lap times were pretty much the same with or without AH turned on.

Over the years I have pretty much found AH activates when you don't use the steering, brakes or throttle properly to get through a turn. The starting point for activation is the steering wheel. It won't activate if the car is going where the driver is pointing it. Turning in too early will get you understeer and activation since the driver has turned the steering wheel tighter than the car is traveling. This is where it activates most of the time for most drivers as they are trying to accelerate out of a corner with their steering wheel turned while pushing the front tires sideways. AH helps yaw the the car so under steer is reduced and the steering wheel can be aimed for where the driver wants to go.

There are times when it will activate due to off throttle or throttle on over steer where the driver is unwinding the steering to keep the butt of the car behind the front wheels. However, if you are using the steering wheel properly and timing your throttle application properly that won't happen. What I tell my students is if they want to use AH it is fine with me. However, I also tell them to pay attention when it starts talking to them because that means they are usually screwing up and it is more sensitive than my butt sitting in the right seat.

Can it protect the driver that does something stupid???? NO!!!

I was coaching a student in a C6Z at a HOD NE event on the Pocono North Course about 8 years ago and as we came out of the infield onto the main oval he hit the apex nicely but there was also a bump there. I had told him not to hit the throttle hard as the rear of the car went over the bump. He had full AH on and just after the front wheels crossed the bump he nailed the throttle. The back end spun out to the left and we headed toward the concrete wall. When the car stopped sliding sideways we were close to the wall but hadn't hit it. There was nothing AH could do about that as we had gone past the laws of physics.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (06-24-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 03:04 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
ABS fixer? I can't say I'm familiar with that.

And modern pads don't really produce enough gas to be a problem, not like the old days where they needed drilled rotors to handle all of it.
https://www.absfixer.com/
Old 05-31-2017, 06:46 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

I have been running absfixer modification for quite a while now.
When you say "absfixer modifications", do you mean "absfixer repair"? I thought they repaired bad ABS units and returned them to stock. Do they tune/alter the programming for any increased performance?
Old 05-31-2017, 07:43 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I suffered abs failure. I found out that absfixer eliminates the 'warming up' feature that pops up on the display sometimes. This 'self check' wears on the unit, if I understand correctly. In any case, my module no longer gives 'checking up or warming up' msg. I have been running the modded unit for 4 or 5 years now with good success.
The following users liked this post:
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 07:50 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

I suffered abs failure. I found out that absfixer eliminates the 'warming up' feature that pops up on the display sometimes. This 'self check' wears on the unit, if I understand correctly. In any case, my module no longer gives 'checking up or warming up' msg. I have been running the modded unit for 4 or 5 years now with good success.
Hmmm... I've never seen the "warm up message". I've had multiple ABS failures on track. Usually ending up with me going off track. I'm to the point where I'm either going to remove it completely or try to put a later year ABS system in the car, I have a 98.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 grand sport and Z06 Road Race cars. Are you using ABS??

Old 05-31-2017, 07:51 PM
John Pearson
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running scrubs with stock calipers and rotors with aggressive pads. This weekend i turned everything off, ABS, Traction, and stability. my car is a lot more aggressive now, and stops a lot better.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:18 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

I like competition mode for most tracks. Rarely feel it intervening even running slicks and race compound brakes.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:20 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by John Pearson
I am running scrubs with stock calipers and rotors with aggressive pads. This weekend i turned everything off, ABS, Traction, and stability. my car is a lot more aggressive now, and stops a lot better.
How are you disabling ABS without disabling brake biasing?

(07 C6Z here, slicks + AP calipers + Ferodo DS.UNO / DS1.11 pads)

I'm getting ABS kicking in on almost every application of the brakes. Cannot stop for **** right now, it's as if there is zero modulation and anymore than a feathering of the brake pedal has ABS going into a frenzy even with the front tires at perfect operating temps (~175 degrees measured with a pyrometer after a session.)

Might as well post this as a separate thread for that matter :\

Quick Reply: C6 grand sport and Z06 Road Race cars. Are you using ABS??