Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice stayings in stock seat - autoX

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need advice stayings in stock seat - autoX

Been a while since I autoX'd with a stock seat. I am thin (32 waist) so it is hard to stay in the seat. Any advice?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:35 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Angel pads.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:57 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

$185 gets you a easy and clean bolt in lap belt mount that accepts a clip in 3" belt AND said belt.

I do a lot of them for folks.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:19 AM
jwh172
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are sliding around in the seat, i was given the advice to put some of that rubber toolbox liner on your seat. This is a cheap and easy for keeping your butt in place. It worked for me before I finally spent the money on a seat. However your arms will still get tired from holding your upper body in place.

Some people recommend against it, but i have also seen a few guys who run harnesses with their stock seat. The should straps wrap around the upper portion of the stock seat instead of through it. This is against every manufacturers suggestion though.

Nothing beats a seat and harness though.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:55 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The tool box liner might work but the cheapest thing you can do is use the Cinch Feature on the stock 3 point belt. First move the seat all the way to the rear, then sit in the seat and pull the lap belt all the way out until it hits the stop, this puts the belt into Cinch Mode. Then fasten the lap belt and let it ratchet back into the retractor. Once the belt stops retracting take your hands and use them to force any slack into the retractor. If you are in Cinch Mode the belt you will not be able to pull the belt out of the retractor. Once you have that done them move the seat forward into your normal driving position.

This should pull the lap belt tight as hell and make if feel like it is going to cut your body in two. Your butt will be pulled down into the seat bottom and will anchor it into the seat. It will not hold your legs or upper body in position they will still swing back and forth pivoting around your butt. The only way to keep your legs and upper body from moving sideways is to have a good race seat with shoulder, side and leg bolsters. Even a 6 point racing harness won't hold you in place using stock seat due to the seat's total lack of lateral support.

With a C5 belt tightened using Cinch Mode the way I described as soon as you launch the car the stock shoulder belt will lock as well and the shoulder belt will be tight across your chest. I found I would be out of breath after a 115 second autocross run and would have to release the seat belt so I could breathe after the run.

Cinch Mode isn't some secret thing. All Corvettes since the 1984 model have had this feature and I think most of the Owner's Manuals describe how to use it.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-17-2017 at 12:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
jaredtxrx (06-01-2017), VettesRule (05-19-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Thanks gang! What are angel pads?
Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Also a CG lock will help keep your hips in line.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:27 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by VettesRule
Thanks gang! What are angel pads?

http://angelwingstech.com/featured-product-3/

"Angel Pads are designed for automotive enthusiasts who enjoy track days, autocrossing and other speed events, but who don’t wish to spend hundreds of dollars on a racing seat and all of the necessary brackets."

"Angel Pads take up the spaces between the door, the console and you. They give you the lateral support you need without the fatigue you can get from a hard surface."
The following users liked this post:
VettesRule (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Also a CG lock will help keep your hips in line.

I don't believe CG Lock does anything more than Cinch Mode does except cost you money for the device. It works well on non Corvettes that don't have Cinch Mode if used the same way as I described but all it really does is lock the belt which is what Cinch Mode does.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
jaredtxrx (06-01-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 04:13 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Plant your left foot on the dead pedal. Hard... I tried with and without a lap belt in my car before changing the seat to a Sparco, and I couldn't notice any difference in my performance. Now I just use the stock belt with an actual seat. The other advantage this provides is that you're constantly loading the seat back in one direction, which keeps it planted and won't allow it to drop back on you mid run (it happens when you remove load from the seat back, say under braking, then reapply it, like when you go to throttle coming out of a corner).
Old 05-23-2017, 06:16 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Thanks again all. I tried the Cinch feature and it works. Not a perfect solution but a good one for AS. I can't use the dead pedal in most situations because I left foot brake.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:06 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't believe CG Lock does anything more than Cinch Mode does except cost you money for the device. It works well on non Corvettes that don't have Cinch Mode if used the same way as I described but all it really does is lock the belt which is what Cinch Mode does.

Bill
Old 05-23-2017, 07:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
$185 gets you a easy and clean bolt in lap belt mount that accepts a clip in 3" belt AND said belt.

I do a lot of them for folks.

I do not like my upper body pulled back by the 3 point stock. 2 point clip in is my choice.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:34 PM
twistedwankel
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My C5 seat bushings are worn and if you'll notice the factory seat belt mounts directly to the sort of flimsy seat track and not the floor it will always flex and move. Sam's system is perfect for my convertible where I can't use anything other than a lap belt. It mounts to the floor bolts and not the seat. Solid. The 3" belt grabs your hips holding both you and the seat stationary. Takes all the load off those bushings and the seat travel is controlled. Also note that Sam's prices are the best around and includes all the hardware to install.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:35 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

The tool box liner might work but the cheapest thing you can do is use the Cinch Feature on the stock 3 point belt. First move the seat all the way to the rear, then sit in the seat and pull the lap belt all the way out until it hits the stop, this puts the belt into Cinch Mode. Then fasten the lap belt and let it ratchet back into the retractor. Once the belt stops retracting take your hands and use them to force any slack into the retractor. If you are in Cinch Mode the belt you will not be able to pull the belt out of the retractor. Once you have that done them move the seat forward into your normal driving position.

This should pull the lap belt tight as hell and make if feel like it is going to cut your body in two. Your butt will be pulled down into the seat bottom and will anchor it into the seat. It will not hold your legs or upper body in position they will still swing back and forth pivoting around your butt. The only way to keep your legs and upper body from moving sideways is to have a good race seat with shoulder, side and leg bolsters. Even a 6 point racing harness won't hold you in place using stock seat due to the seat's total lack of lateral support.

With a C5 belt tightened using Cinch Mode the way I described as soon as you launch the car the stock shoulder belt will lock as well and the shoulder belt will be tight across your chest. I found I would be out of breath after a 115 second autocross run and would have to release the seat belt so I could breathe after the run.

Cinch Mode isn't some secret thing. All Corvettes since the 1984 model have had this feature and I think most of the Owner's Manuals describe how to use it.

Bill
This has worked for me with all the C6 - C7 Cars. Really great using a C7 with competition seats.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:31 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Bill
I have a CG lock I used on my previous car. I was not aware of the Vette's cinch mode. When I do get out on the track I will certainly give this a shot.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice stayings in stock seat - autoX

Old 06-01-2017, 09:45 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
I have a CG lock I used on my previous car. I was not aware of the Vette's cinch mode. When I do get out on the track I will certainly give this a shot.
I used Cinch mode for the first time this past weekend (Spring Nationals autocross), and it was pretty impressive. There's no need for a lap belt if you use this feature, IMO. I used it in both stock seats (friends C5Z) and a Sparco Pro 2000 (my car), and it worked great in both cars.

Last edited by mattastick; 06-01-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:25 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

I agree with Matta but to be fair, I haven't tried the lap belt.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:44 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

I do not like my upper body pulled back by the 3 point stock. 2 point clip in is my choice.

I agree.

Quick Reply: Need advice stayings in stock seat - autoX