Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else found a easier/cheaper way to reduce dB levels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:54 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Anyone else found a easier/cheaper way to reduce dB levels?

Nobody wants to prepare for a track day, pay the entry fee and once there, be told your pipes are too loud. The dB sound level at Laguna Seca is very low at 92 decimals so you may want know what worked for me. A few years ago, I received the meat ball flag (black with the red circle in the middle) on my first session with a reading of 98 dB’s. This has been exceptionally loud ever since I had installed C6 ZO6 exhaust manifolds, high flow cats and ZO6 H pipe with OEM C6 NPP mufflers. Fortunately not only had I brought four 90 degree turn downs with me, but as I was installing them I received a suggestion from a track worker on how to direct them. He said to point them at the 10 o’clock position. Great advice as I was about to bounce them off the ground at 7:00. It worked for me the rest of the day. Today I was reminded of this as I watched the first few seconds of the following video of GM’s upcoming ZR1 C7 enter the Nurburgring.

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 05-24-2017 at 01:06 PM. Reason: left out a word or two
Old 05-23-2017, 12:38 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's interesting, I always see them pointed down.

Last edited by moespeeds; 05-23-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:03 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Side elbows very common at the track, but mufflers are my personal choice. You don't need to be crazy loud to make power
Old 05-23-2017, 08:45 PM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I use bolt in silencers. Turn downs can make the sound worse depending on the surroundings and side turns away don't make the car quieter they just point the problem somewhere else.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:41 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Great to know that silencers are an option to consider. My ’08 C6 with OEM NPP tips are 70 mm I D (2.75”) X 89 mm (3.50”) O D. The silencers I see on line appear to go up to 65 mm I D. Could you tell me what silencers are you using plus what car, what muffler tips and size are the silencers going in?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else found a easier/cheaper way to reduce dB levels?

Quick Reply: Anyone else found a easier/cheaper way to reduce dB levels?