Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
You just opened up another $10k+ plus in expense, for those who want to spend it. I think on the Azenis tire a dry sump really won't be necessary. Just speaking personally, if the rule set you suggested above was allowed, then I'd just stay in ST2 rather than starting over with a "cheaper" Spec Vette. With the specs above you're just Hoosiers and aero away from a competitive ST2 car.
Those parts are already on old C5 T1 cars and even if you had to add all of it it would never be close to $10K or you are going to the wrong shop.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:01 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

I have quite a few I'll be selling when I sell the c5z, but not for $150 each?

OTOH good luck & who will be the governing board & what tracks?

My local autox venue goes away 12/31/18, so looking for track days to replace the autox.

froggy,

Once you hit the track you really need to add more safety gear. These cars are 160mph cars on some tracks. I'm in palos verdes if you want help either in person or verbal getting a car together. With the specvette rules you can do a drive to the track and race and drive home in the same car.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:24 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by exracer28
Those parts are already on old C5 T1 cars and even if you had to add all of it it would never be close to $10K or you are going to the wrong shop.
My dry sump alone including install was $9000. I'm going to the wrong shop.

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 06-03-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:07 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Whatever you do, please, for the love of the racing gods, leave the rules intact. The biggest mistake is to arbitrarily begin changing rules to accommodate every know-it-all. You have a good plan. Stick to it and keep any changes minimal, simple and infrequent. It seems this will be the case, so I am not preaching. Just reinforcing this sound approach.

Hurry up and get to the East Coast!! I am already hunting for a donor car. By the way, the website looks great! Excellent job.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Razodo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this only happening in California? Any word if this series would also come to Florida?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:35 AM
tireshredder
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

My local autox venue goes away 12/31/18, so looking for track days to replace the autox.

Are you talking about Qualcomm? I'm interested at seeing what parts you sell after you sell your Z. I have the silver C5Z and will be doing the Qualcomm autocross tomorrow if all goes as planned.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:24 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Liking the strict parts/mods rules with no exceptions! Very cool. Keeps it easy, low cost, and fun.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:54 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
Love it! Could we have a system, without getting too complex, that would add weight in lieu
of getting rid of already installed parts? Those of us that already have different suspension, brakes, etc. I could race this immediately except I have wilwood calipers on the front with stock brake rotors and penske double adjustables. I know you can't please all, just seems like a simple weight add/loss points system could greatly increase initial participation and lower costs. Thanks for doing work on this!
Would be in if we could do this. Have a caged ST2 car, but different parts than the spec. I'd be OK if you over penalize to put me towards the back. Would like to participate though.
The following users liked this post:
crimlwC6 (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 08:46 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

It would be nice to see both NASA and SCCA adopt this with the same rules. It could be immensely popular.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
It would be nice to see both NASA and SCCA adopt this with the same rules. It could be immensely popular.

That is the ultimate goal, but we need to achieve critical mass on our own to have more leverage bringing the class to established venues. Otherwise we all risk it getting bastardized by others who don't race Corvettes and who have other organizational agendas.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:43 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Question for Trackspec....on the build sheet they list a Trackspec rear spoiler. Is this something that is available for the rear of the car or am I mis-reading this? Is there a picture of this spoiler anywhere?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Question for Trackspec....on the build sheet they list a Trackspec rear spoiler. Is this something that is available for the rear of the car or am I mis-reading this? Is there a picture of this spoiler anywhere?

Thanks

Good eye. This is a conceptual item at this point and it technically does not exist yet. Our thought was to perhaps incorporate something to give Spec Corvettes a bit of their own unique look, yet have a bit more performance through better rear grip without the expense and problems of a wing.

What are your thoughts on form, function and the cost aspect?

Last edited by Olitho; 06-04-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

If this takes off and makes its way East it might finally push me in to W2W. I'm really not interested in driving a low power car or playing a bunch of games with the rules. Heck, if someone was selling a reliable spec Corvette for $20K today I'd write a check and start practicing now.
Olitho (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since C5 ZO6's are allowed, why not base C6's?
Old 06-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
If this takes off and makes its way East it might finally push me in to W2W. I'm really not interested in driving a low power car or playing a bunch of games with the rules. Heck, if someone was selling a reliable spec Corvette for $20K today I'd write a check and start practicing now.

If my plan works out, I aim to finish my car, drive it to one of the local tracks, race it Saturday, race it Sunday, if I am luck I can post a win. Next I drive it home and put it up for sale. Of course that means I will need to build another one. But I want to make a point. I will probably add $2,000 for my labor trouble.

Last edited by Olitho; 06-04-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06Tracker
Since C5 ZO6's are allowed, why not base C6's?
That is a really good idea. We considered it.

But because we have the really tough job of trying to equalize LS2 and LS3 engines it was not deemed possible to make them "equal." We could make them close, but not equal. Equaling peak horsepower can be done with a restrictor plate, but there is so much more to power curves and such. Just look to all the bitching in Spec Miata where they run two different engine models.

BTW - we considered doing the C6s, but after much deliberation we nixed the idea. It is remote and unlikely, but not impossible we include them in the future, but we would need to do a lot of testing.

Another problem is the donor C6s cannot generally be had at the C5 price points, but the other considerations above aside the cost of the base car is up to the builder so that part is OK, but we would first need to resolve the other issues.
KnightDriveTV (06-20-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 05:59 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

PS. I suppose a base C6 with the LS6 could work, but we have not considered that at this time. We have so many other pressing issues just launching this with C5s.

Get notified of new replies

To Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable

Old 06-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm very excited at the announcement of Spec Corvette. Overall, I think the rules are solid and as already noted will be refined as the experiment evolves. I do have some questions after have a read through the rules. (no agenda, I'm not yet a racer). http://speccorvette.com/rules

Shocks
• Shocks are aFe single adjustable coil-overs or identically valved substitutes as pre-approved in these rules.

Would the organization consider allowing an alternate single adjustable or non-adjustable shock such as the Bilstein's sold and serviced by LGM or DRM? When Pfadt went bust, a lot of owners were left with shocks that nobody else could service, and there were a lot of issues with leakage. Bilstein parts are cheap and available, and service is easily obtained. This seems to be in keeping with the spirt of the class to keep build and running costs low. It would be easy to specify a damping curve for a Bilstein, and I would bet the company would lend technical assistance.

• OEM monoleaf springs and shocks are permissible, including T1

Can the T1 monoleaf be run with approved aftermarket shock sans coilover springs?

Shocks
• aFe SPEC Corvette sway bars, brackets, pillows and end-links
• OEM C5, Z06, and T1 are permissible

Would this also apply to a LGM G1 bars which are functionally a copy of the T1 bars? The rules don't specify what AFE/Pfadt bars are approved. Hopefully it's not the Pfadt Racing sway bar with the aluminum arms. The service kit to keep those operational cost more than most one piece sway bar kits.

• A-arm bushings upgradeable to monoball, delrin, or polyurethane.

I'm very glad to see options here on upgrading bushings.

Official Hood Vents of SPEC CORVETTE Trackspec Motorsports C5 T1 hood vent kit in specified location

If a car is already equipped with an extractor type hood such at the ACP extractor hood will these be permitted?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:30 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep it in mind if you push o the east coast next year. By the way, my 2006 base c6 makes considerably less power than my 2003 Z06 did, before and after they were tuned.

Originally Posted by Olitho
That is a really good idea. We considered it.

But because we have the really tough job of trying to equalize LS2 and LS3 engines it was not deemed possible to make them "equal." We could make them close, but not equal. Equaling peak horsepower can be done with a restrictor plate, but there is so much more to power curves and such. Just look to all the bitching in Spec Miata where they run two different engine models.

BTW - we considered doing the C6s, but after much deliberation we nixed the idea. It is remote and unlikely, but not impossible we include them in the future, but we would need to do a lot of testing.

Another problem is the donor C6s cannot generally be had at the C5 price points, but the other considerations above aside the cost of the base car is up to the builder so that part is OK, but we would first need to resolve the other issues.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
I'm very excited at the announcement of Spec Corvette. Overall, I think the rules are solid and as already noted will be refined as the experiment evolves. I do have some questions after have a read through the rules. (no agenda, I'm not yet a racer). http://speccorvette.com/rules

Shocks
• Shocks are aFe single adjustable coil-overs or identically valved substitutes as pre-approved in these rules.

Would the organization consider allowing an alternate single adjustable or non-adjustable shock such as the Bilstein's sold and serviced by LGM or DRM? When Pfadt went bust, a lot of owners were left with shocks that nobody else could service, and there were a lot of issues with leakage. Bilstein parts are cheap and available, and service is easily obtained. This seems to be in keeping with the spirt of the class to keep build and running costs low. It would be easy to specify a damping curve for a Bilstein, and I would bet the company would lend technical assistance.

• OEM monoleaf springs and shocks are permissible, including T1

Can the T1 monoleaf be run with approved aftermarket shock sans coilover springs?

Shocks
• aFe SPEC Corvette sway bars, brackets, pillows and end-links
• OEM C5, Z06, and T1 are permissible

Would this also apply to a LGM G1 bars which are functionally a copy of the T1 bars? The rules don't specify what AFE/Pfadt bars are approved. Hopefully it's not the Pfadt Racing sway bar with the aluminum arms. The service kit to keep those operational cost more than most one piece sway bar kits.

• A-arm bushings upgradeable to monoball, delrin, or polyurethane.

I'm very glad to see options here on upgrading bushings.

Official Hood Vents of SPEC CORVETTE Trackspec Motorsports C5 T1 hood vent kit in specified location

If a car is already equipped with an extractor type hood such at the ACP extractor hood will these be permitted?

Thanks!

These are all really good questions.

At this point you run either the spec shock or OEM springs and shocks. The only alternate to that are the GM T1 shocks and sway bars. Our preference and advantage we feel is in the aFe setup.

As far as performance and reliability are concerned, I too was concerned with this. I did substantially more testing than John Nguyen, but I wrung those shocks out for a year. I raced on them at Laguna Seca, ACS, WSIR, SoWS, Buttonwillow and Thunderhill and probably elsewhere. I also ran a number of track and test days all on my GT2/ST2/T1 Corvette in place of my Ohlins up until February of this year. The car was fast and it felt good, sometimes setting some track records in the process, so the shocks are good and durable. I also borrowed John's car last October for for a day of coaching from Ross Bentley after I damaged my engine racing at ACS the weekend before. I flogged on John's car at BRP for a full day of mostly on track coaching and the car performed flawlessly. I might add that his car was in nearly a complete Spec Corvette set-up, except I was running my Hoosier A7s/wheels. John's car has the original OEM LS1 in it. I understand the concern on the shocks, but they are solid. Maybe John and I will eat our words on that, but aFe did change out the seals on the shocks as those were the main culprit. The shocks are serviceable by aFe and a third party shop so that made us Feal better about going with them.

The sway bars Spec'd out are the all steel one piece bars quite similar to GM T1 racing sway bars. You can see the set-up in this picture.
http://speccorvette.com/sponsor

Only the spec'd hood vents or no hood venting are allowed. There is a bit of performance increase with the vented hood so we want all cars to car the same hood vents in the same location for parity. This also has the added benefit that we want all Spec Corvettes to have a distinct look that makes them identifiable. It will be very cool to look at shots of all the cars sitting on pregrid all looking the same. Spec Corvette needs to have a brand identity and part of that is a unique consistent look of the cars, logo, etc.
Bad_AX (06-04-2017)

Quick Reply: Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable