Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 11:37 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I see the rules call for the spec 315/18 tire all around.

What is the ideal wheel width and offset for the front and back so there is no rubbing?

Will the Forgestar F14's work for spec?

Last edited by dapopa9; 06-04-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:50 PM
henryr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a great class for the guys wanting to move up to a more powerful car (say SM) ....

just KISS.

and it should work
Old 06-05-2017, 12:57 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

What about the aFe (pfadt) camber lock kit? Saves me money and time not having to get the car aligned.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:37 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a great idea, and hopefully it all comes together. I like the rules, and would not touch them. Biggest problem might be making sure everyone sticks to them. This is our fourth year of vintage racing a Corvette, and the number of people who "fudge" the rules is insane. Some will openly tell l you that at races where they know there won't be a full tech inspection they start putting on items on the engine that are not allowed, changing rim sizes, etc. The guys racing in the Trans-Am class on the West Coast police themselves and that seems to be the best solution. This weekend we suddenly had a Camaro in our race that was found to be a little to modified for the Trans-am race. Best of luck and I hope this new class is a success.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by dapopa9
I see the rules call for the spec 315/18 tire all around.

What is the ideal wheel width and offset for the front and back so there is no rubbing?

Will the Forgestar F14's work for spec?

I am running either the rear C5 Z06 wheels on all four corners or the 11" Forgestars. I have the Z06 wheels on my car at this time. One thing I have is a lot of wheels.

As far as off-sets go, I suggest you reach out to one of the Forgestar dealers specializing in Corvette like John at Trackspecmotorsports or Jim Tway as they know exactly which wheels you need. Forgestars for me have proven to be a tough and affordable racing wheel.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
What about the aFe (pfadt) camber lock kit? Saves me money and time not having to get the car aligned.

Camber kits are open. You can run the AMT kits like a lot of people do or you can use the aFe Camber kit that is bundled into the coil-over shock, sway bar, spherical and tow hook kit that has been specifically bundle at our request by aFe Power. Those kits are over 50% off of the list price, but orders must go through Spec Corvette approval to make sure they are only going to bonafide racers.

Let us know when it is time for you to start building your car and we can get you approval to buy the kit direct at the discount. This is being done to avoid abuse of the generous racer discount.

A similar discount has been negotiated for the brakes.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:04 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Good eye. This is a conceptual item at this point and it technically does not exist yet. Our thought was to perhaps incorporate something to give Spec Corvettes a bit of their own unique look, yet have a bit more performance through better rear grip without the expense and problems of a wing.

What are your thoughts on form, function and the cost aspect?
Thank you for the clarification. If I'm understanding the concept correctly, both FRC's and standard coupes are eligible for this SpecVette series. If the horsepower is the same, I feel the coupe has superior aerodynamics to the FRC and does give the coupe an advantage over the FRC. A spoiler on the rear can definitely help both cars. The added plus is an inexpensive spoiler also makes the cars look that much more racier...just from a marketing standpoint, I feel that looks are important to the growth of a new series.

A couple of months ago I bought a used trunk lid for my FRC to make my own spoiler than only attaches to the sacrificial trunk lid to save the original bodywork, etc. Easy to install and since a smaller sized spoiler doesn't have the aero drag a huge wing has, much less expensive to install since you don't need additional bracing and supports.

And no to the base C6 for this series...again, I feel that the C6 has advantages from an aero perspective, especially for engine cooling. Stay C5 and keep it simple and minimal on the mods.

Keep up the good work, this is pretty dang exciting.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Camber kits are open. You can run the AMT kits like a lot of people do or you can use the aFe Camber kit that is bundled into the coil-over shock, sway bar, spherical and tow hook kit that has been specifically bundle at our request by aFe Power. Those kits are over 50% off of the list price, but orders must go through Spec Corvette approval to make sure they are only going to bonafide racers.
We too will be happy to offer big discounts for Spec Corvette racers on the camber kit, spherical bushings, soon to be released seat mounts, and the rest of our forthcoming product offerings. Need to work out those details with Oli and crew but we are fully supportive of this new Spec series and want to help guys get cars together!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:50 PM
henryr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trackspec_john
This should be some motivation on finding a car. Just drove home this 2000 FRC with 84k miles on it. Excellent condition, almost too excellent. Price? $8k. In fact, this is the most expensive one we bought so far.

The deals are out there gentlemen. Just need to be consistent with cash ready.

Happy hunting! Genuine corvette enthusiast. Great to meet him.

that was a steal.............
Old 06-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
We too will be happy to offer big discounts for Spec Corvette racers on the camber kit, spherical bushings, soon to be released seat mounts, and the rest of our forthcoming product offerings. Need to work out those details with Oli and crew but we are fully supportive of this new Spec series and want to help guys get cars together!

Yes, we are in desperate need of good seat mounts. The AMT camber kit has an amazing design, too.

Last edited by Olitho; 06-05-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:33 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Oli,

Are you and John certain you want to spec the amount of TOE? Camber is a wear item, but toe in or out is more of a car/driver-specific feel. I understand you have max settings, but is that really needed? The same with RAKE... 1/4" rake is not nearly enough for a stock bodied car at some of the higher speed sections of track at Road Atlanta and VIR.

On that topic, you specify a max toe out on the rear. Why rear toe out? I have always ran rear toe in on my Vettes. Is that to say someone can run toe in if desired, but no more toe out than the max listed?

Just my curiosity/opinions. Like I said on FB, I support the idea and will watch it from the sidelines as my ST2/3 car is well beyond this ruleset for de-modding.

-Kevin
Old 06-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Oli,

Are you and John certain you want to spec the amount of TOE? Camber is a wear item, but toe in or out is more of a car/driver-specific feel. I understand you have max settings, but is that really needed? The same with RAKE... 1/4" rake is not nearly enough for a stock bodied car at some of the higher speed sections of track at Road Atlanta and VIR.

On that topic, you specify a max toe out on the rear. Why rear toe out? I have always ran rear toe in on my Vettes. Is that to say someone can run toe in if desired, but no more toe out than the max listed?

Just my curiosity/opinions. Like I said on FB, I support the idea and will watch it from the sidelines as my ST2/3 car is well beyond this ruleset for de-modding.

-Kevin
If the rules say toe out on the rear then that is a typo. You are right. The rear is always toe-in.

Perhaps the most flak we are getting is on suspension changes from the most hardcore experienced racers. At Spec Corvette we are leaning towards specing a very narrow set of suspension settings that works well at all tracks, but probably not perfect for some. The reasoning behind this thought is that we don't want the class to be a tuner series. We want it to be a racer/driver series.

Suspension settings, unlike some of the asset purchase based decisions can be changed or made final later. Because of that we are not too concerned at this time about those rules, but do expect that we will at minimum set a range that is not too broad and then set a recommended setting somewhere in the middle as a guideline for the newer and less experienced racers. Ultimately we want the cars to be very equal.

PS. What settings do you like and why?

Last edited by Olitho; 06-05-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:14 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

To me, it is all about stability, not the utmost "twitchiness" for turn-in crispness. 3/16 - 1/4" toe out in front and about 1/8" toe in for the rear is what David has always had my car set to and I have always liked the mid to late race feel.

As for rake, at Road Atl coming through T9 and going over the hill at VIR on the back straight, BOTH at OVER 140mph, the stock body C5 likes about 5/8" rake to keep the rear stable.

As you know, your SPEC Vette isn't far off PTA and we are trying to let you know what we we did to make the cars work and feel stable.

Last edited by brkntrxn; 06-05-2017 at 06:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by brkntrxn:
Miguel S (06-06-2017), mrc24x (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the base c6 has an advantage, I am certainly not good enough of a driver to notice. I also like the idea of keeping it simple and making the cars comparable. But I would be in favor of keeping it simple, keeping cars comparable, and improving car counts. I would rather race 10 comparable cars than 2 or 3 identical ones.
Originally Posted by TrackAire
Thank you for the clarification. If I'm understanding the concept correctly, both FRC's and standard coupes are eligible for this SpecVette series. If the horsepower is the same, I feel the coupe has superior aerodynamics to the FRC and does give the coupe an advantage over the FRC. A spoiler on the rear can definitely help both cars. The added plus is an inexpensive spoiler also makes the cars look that much more racier...just from a marketing standpoint, I feel that looks are important to the growth of a new series.

A couple of months ago I bought a used trunk lid for my FRC to make my own spoiler than only attaches to the sacrificial trunk lid to save the original bodywork, etc. Easy to install and since a smaller sized spoiler doesn't have the aero drag a huge wing has, much less expensive to install since you don't need additional bracing and supports.

And no to the base C6 for this series...again, I feel that the C6 has advantages from an aero perspective, especially for engine cooling. Stay C5 and keep it simple and minimal on the mods.

Keep up the good work, this is pretty dang exciting.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 PM
sillycon
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Tracker
If the base c6 has an advantage, I am certainly not good enough of a driver to notice. I also like the idea of keeping it simple and making the cars comparable. But I would be in favor of keeping it simple, keeping cars comparable, and improving car counts. I would rather race 10 comparable cars than 2 or 3 identical ones.
While you have a fair point, allowing base C6's then gets the C6z guys saying "well, you allowed the c5z and the base c6, so why not me?" and you end up back in the "arms race" situation that all privateers eventually get sick of. If this takes off in C5 format, you can bet that a C6 format will come about as well. At that point you could run both "classes" on the track at the same time to improve car counts if it's really necessary. I *REALLY* hope this takes off, however as this fits a fantastic niche between spec miata/chump car/lemons and bleeding money.

And, for the love of all things good and fun, keep the rule changes to a minimum -- the constant rule changes are what killed sport compact drag racing back in the early 2000's. Few racers can really afford to rebuild a car every year - especially these days!
The following users liked this post:
Olitho (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 02:19 PM
bj1888
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Anyone else unable to find a Wilwood product with P/N 140-14557-N ???
Old 06-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1888
The photo looks like the 14" Race kit. 140-13743-N

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...on=C-5+%26+Z06

Get notified of new replies

To Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable

Old 06-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bj1888

Let me follow-up on that. Those part numbers should have been posted by now. I was told by Wilwood they would need a couple of weeks to update the website, so it should be ready anytime.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:34 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Let me follow-up on that. Those part numbers should have been posted by now. I was told by Wilwood they would need a couple of weeks to update the website, so it should be ready anytime.
Oli, if nothing else, can you get the details on the kt, rotor size, one or two piece? Caliper specs, I think these are likely the nickle calipers. They should be able to give you the individual part number which would answer all the questions.

Thanks for your efforts here...
Old 06-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DunlevysZ
Oli, if nothing else, can you get the details on the kt, rotor size, one or two piece? Caliper specs, I think these are likely the nickle calipers. They should be able to give you the individual part number which would answer all the questions.

Thanks for your efforts here...
The kit is a six piston nickel coated calipers and mounting brackets with two-piece 355mm non-floating rotors, 20 mm front race pads, and if I am not mistaken the stainless steel brake lines are included.

Front and rear rotors are open, although rear calipers at spec are the OEM units.

Pads are open.

Quick Reply: Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable