Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Is it possible to post some minutes or "cliff notes" from the call?
Old 11-19-2017, 06:23 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
Is it possible to post some minutes or "cliff notes" from the call?
I believe John plans to do so. Today is his birthday and according to Facebook his eating some cake with a race car on it.
The following users liked this post:
Bad_AX (11-19-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 01:58 PM
0Spec Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

Who wants to go to Willow Springs, the big track, on Friday, December 29th for the Test and Tune Day?

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/event.php?id=3444

If you have never been to a test and tune it is different than a track day or race. We show up in the morning, or any time of the day. The track is open all day, except for lunch break. There are no run groups as a rule, although if there are a lot of open wheel cars they might alternate between production bodies and open wheel every 30 minutes. Basically we can go out on track whenever we want to go out for as long as we want to go out.

The rules are a bit different for Test and Tune. There are usually fewer flaggers. There are usually only a handful of cars on track the whole day. You must be driving a caged car. Here is what WSIR prints online:

A. OPEN TESTING / TUNING (Willow Springs Raceway only - available Fridays only)

1. Current W.S.I.R. membership required for drivers @ $75.00 per calendar year.
2. Race-prepared vehicles only (excluding karts and drifting). Unlimited number of vehicles allowed.
3. Reservations preferred. Notice of cancellation appreciated.
4. No emergency personnel provided. No passengers allowed. Photography from spectator areas only.
5. Fees are $75.00 per driver / $75.00 per vehicle / $10.00 per crew member (any person over 8 years old).

If we ask, I am certain they will make the $75 membership good through the end of 2018. This first full day of unlimited driving will cost $225. Subsequent Test and Tune Fridays will only cost $150, plus $75 for extra drivers in the car. These days work much better than a track day for sorting out a car.

I suggest a group of us meet out there on 12/29. I plan to be there, even if by myself. Our program for the day should be:

1. Test cars
2. Gather tire performance data with pyrometers and pressure guages against differing alignments
3. Practice a bit ourselves
4. Conduct Spec Corvette Race License Approvals for those waivering into a race license so you can start in January vs. waiting for the February SCCA and March NASA schools.
5. Hang out together, bond as a new race group and have fun.

Let us know if you plan to come out and drive or just hang out.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:52 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

You won't be alone, because I'll be there for sure!

It's off season, so probably we'll have the whole place to ourselves. The Streets and the skid pad will be available as well, most likely.

For anyone who doesn't have a dedicated race car, test and tune days at Willow require a "race prepared car." If you have a racing seat and 5-point harness and a roll bar, that is usually enough. Best to call the track office and ask.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

We have a good turn out so far. Here are the Spec Corvette drivers who are attending:
  1. Eric Fritz
  2. Oli Thordarson
  3. John Nguyen
  4. Christian Paluzzi
  5. Karim Marouf
  6. KDM123
  7. Jeff Klavir
  8. Maybe Corbin Swafford if he gets his cage done in time
  9. Maybe Sean Witwood if he gets his cage done in time
  10. Maybe Dan Klaudt

Let me know via Corvette Forum or email if you plan to attend.

Last edited by Olitho; 12-18-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:38 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Put me in as a maybe, Oli ... Jim has me scheduled after the 1st of the year, but I may be out for a 1/2 day with the C6
Old 12-18-2017, 11:54 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
We have a good turn out so far. Here are the Spec Corvette drivers who are attending:
  1. Eric Fritz
  2. Oli Thordarson
  3. John Nguyen
  4. Christian Paluzzi
  5. Karim Marouf
  6. KDM123
  7. Jeff Klavir
  8. Maybe Corbin Swafford if he gets his cage done in time
  9. Maybe Sean Witwood if he gets his cage done in time
  10. Maybe Dan Klaudt

Let me know via Corvette Forum or email if you plan to attend.
geez! Great turnout. Break out the BBQ...I'm a maybe. I've been trying to stop a rearend leak and got some rock hard tires to burn up.

If 10 guys might show up is there any interest in trying to protect glass windshields with clear bra? I wonder if we could get a guy to show at the track and clear all our windshields? Any interest?
Old 12-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
geez! Great turnout. Break out the BBQ...I'm a maybe. I've been trying to stop a rearend leak and got some rock hard tires to burn up.

If 10 guys might show up is there any interest in trying to protect glass windshields with clear bra? I wonder if we could get a guy to show at the track and clear all our windshields? Any interest?
I might be interested. I have never clear bra'd anything before. How much would it cost and how will it affect vision. We can chat about it at the track.

Who will be the BBQ master?
Old 12-26-2017, 12:15 AM
bellwilliam
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I might be interested. I have never clear bra'd anything before. How much would it cost and how will it affect vision. We can chat about it at the track.

Who will be the BBQ master?
I've Clear bra'd over 5 of my race cars...

1. windshield must be relatively new and free of pitting. or it will bubble badly.
2. I highly recommend it, it is a safety item. I guarantee ~20% of SV will have a cracked windshield at Chuckawalla (famous for big rocks)
3. it cost anywhere between $150-$300 for a Vette sized.
4. it takes about a week to dry - for it to be clear. so, no, you can't do it at the track this weekend. see #1 and #4
fatbillybob (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 04:44 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Well maybe at $300 it just isn't worth it to clear the windshield since for vettes you can get them done for $300 new. Once I put tearoffs over a lexan winshield because lexan scratches so easy. Tearoffs years ago were in the $60 neighborhood and were a good value to extend windshield life. They did not cover every inch of windshield but protected 90%.
Olitho (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 09:00 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Interested in this series. I currently race in scca gt2 - got sucked into the aero and big hp race of STO when T1 got slowed down in SCCA.

my backyard garage has two scca gt2 c5 race cars.

Last two two seasons i was tired of the GT2 rules and costs for the Corvette and went Spec Miata racing.

Located in Illinois/ Wisconsin area and have a FRC Street car that I could convert. Really hope this takes off like Spec Miata.

I can tell you guys that Spec Miata is one of the most fun racing I’ve done. (And chump car is fun too)

racing wheel to wheel with someone at all times in Spec Miata is the best. Wheather you are up front or at the back there is always someone to race with in Spec Miata. If you guys can achieve this in the Corvette Spec series it will be a hit!!!

think Corvette challenge of the late 80’s or the viper series of recent times. It can be done.

I assume you guys are running with NASA or another group with your own session at these events???

looking forward to your progress cause I can’t handle bump drafting at road America in a Spec Miata to break the 120mph barrier. Lol
Old 12-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

If this materializes on the east coast I may jump ship from Spec Iron. 100 more horsepower and 315's squared? I am down haha. For all the SI parts, car, and cage labor I will be spending around $12-$14K. The way it looks I can come out the same or maybe a touch more with Spec Vette. Especially if one can be built for sub-$20k. A 150K mile C5 can be found for under $10k, maybe under $8k.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:24 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Oli,

How is the Testday's attendance looking? I'm 80% in. Details...details...
Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Oli,

How is the Testday's attendance looking? I'm 80% in. Details...details...

I think it remains the same unless some people have not yet told me they are attending.

I might have heard from another driver or two, but at this point I can't remember. BellWilliam just bought a car on Christmas day. I don't know if he plans to bring it out in stock form, but he has already ordered the Wilwood brake kit and some other pieces.

1. Eric Fritz
  2. Oli Thordarson
  3. John Nguyen
  4. Christian Paluzzi
  5. Karim Marouf
  6. KDM123
  7. Jeff Klavir
  8. Greg Trigeiro (hanging with us only, he races Spec 944 and he wants to start doing Spec Corvette)
  9. Maybe Corbin Swafford if he gets his cage done in time
  10. Maybe Sean Witwood if he gets his cage done in time
  11. Maybe Dan Klaudt
  12. Maybe FatBillyBob

Last edited by Olitho; 12-27-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:11 AM
bellwilliam
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Oli....

Test day don't allow non-caged car...so I wouldn't be able to bring the car out other than to spectate, which I just might do...

with big brak kit, my stock z06 17" front no longer fit... so need to find 2 z06 rear....

Last edited by bellwilliam; 12-27-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:11 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bellwilliam
Oli....

Test day don't allow non-caged car...so I wouldn't be able to bring the car out other than to spectate, which I just might do...

with big brak kit, my stock z06 17" front no longer fit... so need to find 2 z06 rear....

I am mixed on whether that is correct. Karim tells me he has been going out on Fridays in his OEM car for years and they let him drive. I have heard this from others as well. Yet, I have heard the story from Richard Seegman about how one day they would not let his caged car run because he did not have a fuel cell. It might have something to do with who you know and how you ask....
Old 12-27-2017, 02:12 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

BTW BellWilliam, I have two sets of Spec Corvette wheels and tires. You are welcome to use one of the two sets.

Get notified of new replies

To Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable

Old 12-27-2017, 10:42 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Things are looking pretty good for me I'm 95% going to be there. If William spectates maybe he can help man the BBQ.

They seem pretty liberal. I was there a few weeks ago and they did not even ask or look at my car. Maybe you whip out your NASA race license and they will know you not a dolt in a new ZR1 wanting to see how fast it will go. You are there to find some weak links to know what direction to take the car.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:24 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Trailer is loaded. See you guys at the track!
Old 12-30-2017, 11:30 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

It was great meeting you all! Thanks Oli for organizing, and thanks to John for the BBQ.

See you all at Buttonwillow.

Quick Reply: Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable