Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:31 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
I have a few questions..

1. Is the coupe more advantageous than the base/targa?
2. Would non-performance related or reliability mods be allowed/considered if it was over prepped? For instance, a dry sump or forged pistons that were stock weight/compression?
3. Would other brake configurations be allowed such as the Wilwood 4 piston?
5. If someone wanted to cross over into other classes, where do you think this car would end up by adding bolt ons such as a wing, splitter, maybe a different tune and stickier tires? Could this car be competitive in ST2?

Thank you very much. I could potentially 'slow down' my build and focus on ST2/3 level instead of ST1/2
On faster tracks it is my presumption the couple will have a slightly less drag resistance. How that plays out on laps times, if at all, I don't know.

As a philosophy on reliability mods we are trying to be as open and flexible as possible. We are considering the allowance of stronger parts for example in an engine rebuild as long as stock weights are maintained and the rev limiter not raised. This becomes a policing issue in impound for after the race though. Rev limiters are easy hear on the track and check in impound. Piston size and weight, not so much. But we still have the 380 RWHP limit as a check and balance. I expect we will come out with a flow chart in coming weeks that depicts our parts approval process. It is essentially:
  • Does it make the car more reliable - OK
  • Does it make the car faster - This is a problem
  • Does it cost very little or a lot - If it costs nothing or super little, we might incorporate it into the rule set. If it costs a lot then no, especially if incorporating it would threaten the $20k build cost. For example, cutting holes in the airbox cover can free up to 10 RWHP, but it costs almost nothing. Adding a cold air intake is $400 = NO.

At this point we only allow C5 OEM or the specified Wilwood brakes. For some with other brakes or suspension, we have negotiated such good deals on some of these parts I suggest you sell them. If they are in good shape you will hopefully get about the same money as it costs to buy the new Spec stuff.

My GT2 car has most of the same stuff or similar as my Spec Corvette, except it is powered by an LS3, and wing & splitter. A Spec Corvette will make an easy upward migration to NASA ST2 or SCCA GT2.
The following users liked this post:
D K (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 08:10 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Thank you for answering.

Your answers are great and logical.

I totally agree that if there is a mod out there and its less than $100 bucks but has a notable benefit - ALLOW IT!

After all, we are trying to go as fast as possible for as cheap as possible, right? I hope others are in alignment in this, anyway.

I think I'm gonna change my original plan...which was to build a car somewhere between ST1 and ST2 level.

I will build a Spec Vette and have an option to run either a spoiler or a wing, an air dam or a splitter and have 2 engines. One for the SV events and an other one for more open class stuff.
I think the Wilwoods with the right rotors and pads, along with different calipers in the rear - can stop this beast on R7's. This way I'm just a caliper change away and be good on brakes.

Are items like a better oil pump and baffled pans ok?

I was on the rules committee when SCCA came up with the Honda Cup, so I know what a PITA it is to please everyone...

David

Originally Posted by Olitho
On faster tracks it is my presumption the couple will have a slightly less drag resistance. How that plays out on laps times, if at all, I don't know.

As a philosophy on reliability mods we are trying to be as open and flexible as possible. We are considering the allowance of stronger parts for example in an engine rebuild as long as stock weights are maintained and the rev limiter not raised. This becomes a policing issue in impound for after the race though. Rev limiters are easy hear on the track and check in impound. Piston size and weight, not so much. But we still have the 380 RWHP limit as a check and balance. I expect we will come out with a flow chart in coming weeks that depicts our parts approval process. It is essentially:
  • Does it make the car more reliable - OK
  • Does it make the car faster - This is a problem
  • Does it cost very little or a lot - If it costs nothing or super little, we might incorporate it into the rule set. If it costs a lot then no, especially if incorporating it would threaten the $20k build cost. For example, cutting holes in the airbox cover can free up to 10 RWHP, but it costs almost nothing. Adding a cold air intake is $400 = NO.

At this point we only allow C5 OEM or the specified Wilwood brakes. For some with other brakes or suspension, we have negotiated such good deals on some of these parts I suggest you sell them. If they are in good shape you will hopefully get about the same money as it costs to buy the new Spec stuff.

My GT2 car has most of the same stuff or similar as my Spec Corvette, except it is powered by an LS3, and wing & splitter. A Spec Corvette will make an easy upward migration to NASA ST2 or SCCA GT2.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:20 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by D K

Are items like a better oil pump and baffled pans ok?

David

Thanks David for the vote of confidence. It is a thankless job as you already know.

In the next few days you are going to see some changes to the rules highlighted in red and posted on the Spec Corvette website. Some of the changes are to support more engine reliability such as alternative valve springs. Some other changes under consideration are posted in italicized red text for comment and consideration by Spec Corvette racers. Some other changes were made to improve safety or assure better race steward incident review.
D K (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 03:41 PM
D K
Pro

Just stopped by and talked to Jim.

While Im not a fan of Mig welding for cages, for 3 grand that cage is a bargain!
Old 01-18-2018, 03:53 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by D K

While Im not a fan of Mig welding for cages, for 3 grand that cage is a bargain!
I own 4 welders and plasma cutter as a hobbiest, MIG, TIG, Flux, and gas. I weld my own cages. MIG is the best for cages for many technical reasons. While everyone loves TIG because on paper TIG really shines. But in real life MIG is really the best for the average racecar because it is much more forgiving in its application. MIG can make a lesser fabricator look like a genius and ensure you have a safe cage. Guys building cages are rarely certified welders. That said some guys we employ can be just as good as a certified welder and some not so much. Unfortunately, most of what I have meet in real life is "not so much."
Conrod Liberator (02-26-2020)
Old 01-18-2018, 04:29 PM
D K
Pro

From my understanding even though mig lays a thicker beam, it doesnt penetrate as much and therefore its actually weaker when compared to a good tig weld.

Last edited by D K; 01-18-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:21 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
Crom my understanding even though mig lays a thicker beam, it doesnt penetrate as much and therefore its actually weaker when compared to a good tig weld.

No. A good TIG bead is equal to a good MIG bead. It is much less likely that someone can laydown a "good" TIG bead. I own 4 machines of 4 different welding processes because 1 size does not fit all. What you want is to assign a quality fabricator the task and let him deal with the path to get there. But it pays to question the path until you have utmost confidence in the end results. In other words you have to build trust.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 PM
D K
Pro

I agree. Trust.
I flipped a car over 100mph end over end and walked away...
My current cage is mig welded by a guy who worked on GTP cars.
I asked him about mig welds on a cage and he started laughing...

I do agree that its easier to get a decent bead by mig but what about the best bead possible? MIG or TIG?

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
No. A good TIG bead is equal to a good MIG bead. It is much less likely that someone can laydown a "good" TIG bead. I own 4 machines of 4 different welding processes because 1 size does not fit all. What you want is to assign a quality fabricator the task and let him deal with the path to get there. But it pays to question the path until you have utmost confidence in the end results. In other words you have to build trust.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:07 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
Nice. How'd the cage look on the black Z06 that he's finishing up?
Old 01-19-2018, 12:12 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by emf

I plan to stop by tomorrow around 2:30 PM to give final approval on changes to my GT2 car cage. I'll get pictures for you.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 AM
D K
Pro

It was only tacked up.

I got my greasy paw prints all over some secret spots

Originally Posted by emf

Last edited by D K; 01-19-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:21 AM
D K
Pro

So 38000 race miles, huh?

I plan to stop by tomorrow around 2:30 PM to give final approval on changes to my GT2 car cage. I'll get pictures for you.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:49 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by D K
It was only tacked up.

I got my greasy paw prints all over some secret spots
I always loved scavenger hunts. I'll be on the lookout for any surprises in between all the other crap that's 1/2 done on the car

Cool! He shot me a few but need to check my spam folder for more. Base of the hoop looked like it was moved a bit farther forward than I remember in your car, so with luck it's on a solid footing. Dash bar looked like it had been tacked in, and door bars were next.
With luck, it'll only need a metric ton of dry ice to get all the dynamat out, and we'll see if there are any more surprises left for me.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:08 PM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Who's going to be racing this weekend at the first event?

I'll be there to spectate on Saturday.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:28 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

I'll be there with the gt2 car to provide morale support. Cage is being finished in the spec car now ... Picking it up tomorrow morning, but it won't be in a good enough shape to pass tech, let alone race.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

I am already registered to race.

Clinton will be there.
Christian P. and John N. said they are going.
I think FatBillyBob will be there, but I don't see him registered, yet.
Jake Rozelle said he is going.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:46 PM
0Spec Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

Spec Corvette is the lucky recipient of support from another great Corvette Forum Supporting Vendor. Jeff Ritter of Essex wrote to us about a special Spec Corvette racer offer:

Here are the special Spec Corvette racing rotors.

I hope you had a great weekend. You can see the Spec Corvette discs live on our site now:
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-designed-ap-racing-2-piece-competition-j-hook-discs-front-SpecCorvette
If anyone needs these right away, we do have the parts in stock to build them.

We have a beautiful set of Spiegler front and rear lines for the C5. These are the same lines that we include with all of our big brake kits. They have really slick swivel fittings on them, and the quality is second to none. We could offer a special deal on these as well:
https://www.essexparts.com/spiegler-stainless-brake-lines-corvette-c5-front

https://www.essexparts.com/spiegler-stainless-brake-lines-corvette-c5-rear

Contact Jeff at Essex if you wish to avail yourself of this offer.

Last edited by Spec Corvette; 01-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spec Corvette:
JRitt@essex (01-23-2018), trackspec_john (01-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable

Old 01-23-2018, 01:56 PM
trackspec_john
Cruising

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

All registered and hotel is booked! Got a great deal on the roach motel for 38$, and that includes continential breakfast. Not sure from which continent though...

Christian is in, Rozelle is ready to race spoke to him yesterday.

I am already registered to race.

Clinton will be there.
Christian P. and John N. said they are going.
I think FatBillyBob will be there, but I don't see him registered, yet.
Jake Rozelle said he is going.

Last edited by trackspec_john; 01-23-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:31 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Thanks for the intro Gents!

We've had great support from the Corvette racing community over the years, and we'd like to give back a bit! On the AP Racing two-piece J Hook discs, the discounted Spec Racer price is $800 per pair, which is 40% off the normal retail price! Spare iron is $359 per iron ring.

We're also stocked up on all of the AP Racing brake fluid.

Again, these deals can only be had by verified Spec Corvette Racers. We look forward to keeping your heads and hands out of your wheel wells, and keeping your long-term running costs under control. Thank you all for your continued support!

Originally Posted by Spec Corvette
Spec Corvette is the lucky recipient of support from another great Corvette Forum Supporting Vendor. Jeff Ritter of Essex wrote to us about a special Spec Corvette racer offer:

Here are the special Spec Corvette racing rotors.

I hope you had a great weekend. You can see the Spec Corvette discs live on our site now:
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-designed-ap-racing-2-piece-competition-j-hook-discs-front-SpecCorvette
If anyone needs these right away, we do have the parts in stock to build them.

We have a beautiful set of Spiegler front and rear lines for the C5. These are the same lines that we include with all of our big brake kits. They have really slick swivel fittings on them, and the quality is second to none. We could offer a special deal on these as well:
https://www.essexparts.com/spiegler-stainless-brake-lines-corvette-c5-front

https://www.essexparts.com/spiegler-stainless-brake-lines-corvette-c5-rear

Contact Jeff at Essex if you wish to avail yourself of this offer.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 01-24-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:54 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

I know it is a bit early for the February race at Buttonwillow Raceway Park, but many of you want to do the race school that also runs on that Friday/Saturday and then race Spec Corvette on Sunday. Here is the email I got from SCCA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Divisional/Regional and Time Trials
Buttonwillow Raceway

February 17-18,2018

Let's get back to racing at our home track! This is the first event of 2018 at Buttonwillow Raceway and how cool is it that we will be running two different course configuration in one weekend! Saturday we will be on 27 CW and 14 CW on Sunday. This is a points race for the Cal Club Championship and SoPac Divisional route to the Runoffs

27 CW http://buttonwillowraceway.com/pdf/b...ap-race-27.pdf
14 CW http://buttonwillowraceway.com/pdf/b...ap-race-14.pdf

Buttonwillow Raceway will be holding a Test Day on Friday Feb. 16, 2018, contact the track for more information 661-764-5333. Also contact the track for Garages, RV spots, and Tire needs!

Online Registration: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ay-scca-516177

No competition license? No problem, get out on track with your street car with Time Trials. A fun, safe way to hit the track for a minimal fee. $200 for the weekend, $125 for one day. Driver coaches available all weekend! All you need is a safe car, a helmet and a SCCA membership or weekend membership that can be obtained at on site registration. More information on Time Trials https://www.calclub.com/html/html2/r...rial_Rules.pdf
Online Registration:https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ay-scca-516177

And we also will be hosting the 2018 Competition license school on February 16-17, 2018. If you know of anyone that is wanting to get their competition license this is the one and only school Cal Club will be hosting in 2018, so don't miss out! Here is what a potential school driver needs to know: https://www.calclub.com/html/html2/school_letter.pdf
School Online Registration:https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ifornia-432397

So something for everyone, come have fun and bring out your friends! We can always use help in our Race Official Specialties. Tech, Timing and Scoring, Grid, Registration, Flagging, Tow and Fire so much to do and so much fun to have

Quick Reply: Spec Corvette is born - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable