Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data logging & lap timing with brake pressure and steering angle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 06:11 PM
sillycon
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Data logging & lap timing with brake pressure and steering angle?

Im wanting to get a lap timing and data logging solution for track days in my C6z, however I havent been able to identify a solid solution which provides brake pressure and steering angle data. It appears as if the AiM Solo DL might capture steering angle, but I haven't been able to definitively confirm that is the case. Even still, it appears that brake pressure data is unavailable.

Ive been using HPTs stand alone logging so far, but would prefer an integrated/all-in-one type solution that will automatically start and stop as well.

What are y'all using to capture this sort of data?
Old 06-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by sillycon
Im wanting to get a lap timing and data logging solution for track days in my C6z, however I havent been able to identify a solid solution which provides brake pressure and steering angle data. It appears as if the AiM Solo DL might capture steering angle, but I haven't been able to definitively confirm that is the case. Even still, it appears that brake pressure data is unavailable.

Ive been using HPTs stand alone logging so far, but would prefer an integrated/all-in-one type solution that will automatically start and stop as well.

I use a RaceTech Dash in my C5 and we've wired in those sensors from the ECU. However I'm fairly certain you should be able to get all the data you're looking for and a whole lot more from a simple plug n' play AIM SOLO DL. Pic of my setup for fun:

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 06-08-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:24 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
However I'm fairly certain you should be able to get all the data you're looking for and a whole lot more from a simple plug n' play AIM SOLO DL.
No brake pressure for the C6 on the Aim Solo DL and the steering angle channel is known not to work if you searched the forum before posting that.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ay_102_eng.pdf

Keep on selling, brother forum vendor. I ain't buying.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Sorry I misspoke. Thanks for setting me straight but I'm not selling anything and the attitude is unnecessary.

In that case if the AIM Solo DL won't spit that info out for you than I guess you'll need to step up to something that can accept signals from the ECU or stand alone sensors. It was not hard to wire that info in to my particular dash, but admittedly I had someone who's way better than I with that stuff take care of it for me.

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 06-08-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:38 PM
sillycon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by naschmitz
No brake pressure for the C6 on the Aim Solo DL and the steering angle channel is known not to work if you searched the forum before posting that.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ay_102_eng.pdf

Keep on selling, brother forum vendor. I ain't buying.
This is precisely why I asked; I've been searching but haven't found any real info on what folks are using. It seems like folks have either gone to a full-on race dash (fine in a race car, not so much otherwise), or they don't log data at all.

I note a C6 in your avatar; assuming it's your car, what are you using?
Old 06-09-2017, 04:33 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

This is precisely why I asked; I've been searching but haven't found any real info on what folks are using. It seems like folks have either gone to a full-on race dash (fine in a race car, not so much otherwise), or they don't log data at all.

I have a 2006 base coupe and use the Aim Solo DL. Not having a brake or steering channel are serious limitations of the Aim, but it is still a valuable logger.

A few years ago I submitted a help ticket to Aim for the steering channel because it logs noise. To resolve the problem, they had me send them some log files. Their conclusion was that a Euro spec C6 has a different ECU than a US spec model so that's why it doesn't work for us. I don't know if that's true or not, but they considered the issue resolved and closed the help ticket.

I too would love to hear if and how other people log brake pressure and steering angle on the C6 with the same constraints you mentioned in your post.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The AIM technical,support team in California is very knowledgeable and helpful. I would recommend giving them a call. Also the Rennlist forum has a specific section with AIM experts who are extremely helpful. And they don't care that you are asking about non Porsche applications. Both of these sources have been very helpful in getting the AIM system (piesta dash with smartycam HDGP) set up in my Radical. Obviously the set up for a Radical is different than a Vette, but my car is set up with brake pressure sensors for the front and back brakes and I have a linear sensor for the steering angle. The brake and throttle sensors are very helpful, but I really don't use the steering angle for anything.
Charley
Old 06-09-2017, 05:56 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
The AIM technical,support team in California is very knowledgeable and helpful. I would recommend giving them a call. Also the Rennlist forum has a specific section with AIM experts who are extremely helpful. And they don't care that you are asking about non Porsche applications. Both of these sources have been very helpful in getting the AIM system (piesta dash with smartycam HDGP) set up in my Radical. Obviously the set up for a Radical is different than a Vette, but my car is set up with brake pressure sensors for the front and back brakes and I have a linear sensor for the steering angle. The brake and throttle sensors are very helpful, but I really don't use the steering angle for anything.
Charley
Is this the forum you're referring to? I've been looking for a place to ask questions about the Aim Solo. E-mail support has been slow but generally ok.
https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...ng-and-de-233/

Last edited by Poor-sha; 06-09-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes. You will get quick knowledgeable responses. You can also contact AIM technical support in California at (951)674-9090. They are very helpful.

Charley

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 06-09-2017 at 08:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (06-09-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

AIM Solo DL here, no brake pressure or steering angle sensor obviously in my 05' C6 either. I attempted to get AIM to address it as well a few years ago and gave up.

Side note: you CAN log wheel speed sensors which is infinitely helpful to identify when the sensor is dropping out and needs replacement and exactly which sensor is going out. I know those show up as DTC's but if you have it setup in your AIM and your downloading data anyway for review, its a quick check at the same time to find the errant sensor quickly.

They can get damaged with contact and when you break an axle, sadly I've had to replace hubs for both reasons.

Last edited by JerryTX; 06-12-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:40 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Side note: you CAN log wheel speed sensors which is infinitely helpful to identify when the sensor is dropping out and needs replacement and exactly which sensor is going out.
Yes, very useful. I've had two wheel speed sensors fail and it is very easily diagnosed with the Solo DL. My last use for the wheel speed sensors was when the dyno runs showed a variation in engine RPM vs drum speed -- the dyno operator said my clutch might be slipping. At the track the engine RPM vs LR or RR wheel speeds were dead straight lines -- no slipping at all. So the tire must have been slipping on the dyno drum.

And I was able to log an Ice Mode braking event that shows exactly what the car does.
The following users liked this post:
JerryTX (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 09:00 AM
sillycon
Intermediate

At the moment im looking into building a PnP harness for the brake pressure and steering angle sensors to plumb them into HPT. Given that the brake pressure trace is more about smoothness than actual PSI, I figure that should work just fine. Not sure what Ill have to do with the steering sensor just yet. Of course, for all i know at this point it wont work anyway because the added load on the sensor circuit could flip out the EBCM, etc.

Its unfortunate there isnt a ready-built solution at this point!
Old 06-15-2017, 12:46 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Harry's LapTime & OBDLink MX

Looking to capture similar data with Harry's Lap Timer and
OBDLink MX. What are the PIDs for steering angle and brake pressure on 2016 Stingray?

Get notified of new replies

To Data logging & lap timing with brake pressure and steering angle?

Quick Reply: Data logging & lap timing with brake pressure and steering angle?