Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Front Sway Bar Movement

Old 06-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Racin Time
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6Z Front Sway Bar Movement

I noticed that the front sway bar has been moving side to side as the car goes through course transitions. Is that normal?
Attached Images   
Old 06-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop
Yes.

Just make sure it is correctly attached/torqued/lubed/etc. I have a video on sway bar (actually several) see below.

If it does not move (some) you will not be happy.

It "might" be a little on the loose side. Mine only shows evidence of about 1 inch TOTAL movement l/r that looks like more.

Last edited by froggy47; 06-12-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Racin Time
Instructor

Thanks. for the feedback.

What would happen if the bar was clamped and couldn't slide?
Old 06-12-2017, 08:44 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Racin Time
Thanks. for the feedback.

What would happen if the bar was clamped and couldn't slide?
There are autocross folks that use collars to constrain lateral movement.

Last edited by acrace; 06-12-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Shrug, my sways have collars that lock them in place. The articulation of the end links takes care of any lateral shift relative of the control arms relative to the sways.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:21 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

if you use rod end links there is nothing to effectively control the sway bar under extreme loads (you can get away with it on the street but not when you track the car), you will need to use collars to control the movement.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:57 AM
Racin Time
Instructor

Originally Posted by blackozvet
if you use rod end links there is nothing to effectively control the sway bar under extreme loads (you can get away with it on the street but not when you track the car), you will need to use collars to control the movement.

I like the style of that collar. Looks like a better fit for C6Z. Who carries that style.
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2017, 09:05 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

it is a go-kart axle collar , 2 piece so easy to fit !
they are fairly cheap on ebay etc, just check your sway bar size first.
also I put a piece of poly between the collar and bracket to cushion any movement.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:21 AM
BmoreRnsDeep
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

How large are the T1 bars? I would like to clamp mine.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:30 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

It's because your bars are not neutral at steady-state. A corner balanced car with neutral bars (using rod ends) will not do this. Your springs and bars are simply fighting each other, and the bars shift to attempt to find a neutral spot, often causing them to hit the control arm
Old 06-13-2017, 09:36 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
It's because your bars are not neutral at steady-state. A corner balanced car with neutral bars (using rod ends) will not do this. Your springs and bars are simply fighting each other, and the bars shift to attempt to find a neutral spot, often causing them to hit the control arm

I forgot to mention the obvious, first check there is no bind at neutral state.

Good one David.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:47 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

corner weight isnt something that can be manipulated as easily as cross weight, and you need $1500 scales (or pay someone $100 an hour) etc to do this.
Or you can put $20 collars on to control it.
just sayin'
Old 06-13-2017, 10:02 AM
froggy47
Race Director

corner weight isnt something that can be manipulated as easily as cross weight, and you need $1500 scales (or pay someone $100 an hour) etc to do this.
Or you can put $20 collars on to control it.
just sayin'
Not sure which post you are referring to. Just so you know, setting sway bars neutral is a separate process from corner or cross weight. Right? Only need adjustable end links (actually you can do it with ONE on each sway bar.

A good adjustable end link (if you shop around) is about the same cost as a collar and you are fixing the problem, not treating the symptom. I like qa1. Or if you have big $$$ Aurora.

Last edited by froggy47; 06-13-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Racin Time
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I placed my weight in the drivers seat and then adjusted the end links to be neutral. As I jack each side of the car up to do an inspection the bar is not making any contact with the control arms, and you can see the bar slide side to side.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:06 AM
froggy47
Race Director

I placed my weight in the drivers seat and then adjusted the end links to be neutral. As I jack each side of the car up to do an inspection the bar is not making any contact with the control arms, and you can see the bar slide side to side.
When I jack mine there is very little movement of the bar in the bushing. I adjust my "clamp pressure" of the bushing with flat washers so it is a "little" tight to be turned by hand but you can still turn it, when it is disconnected. How tight do you have the bushing gripping the bar when disconnected?

Last edited by froggy47; 06-13-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Racin Time
Instructor

Originally Posted by froggy47
When I jack mine there is very little movement of the bar in the bushing. I adjust my "clamp pressure" of the bushing with flat washers so it is a "little" tight to be turned by hand but you can still turn it, when it is disconnected. How tight do you have the bushing gripping the bar when disconnected?

On the C6Z the brackets holding the bushings have no tension adjustment. The two bolts are fully tightened and there is no more squeezing of the bushings. When the links are disconnected the bar has some resistance and is free to move up and down.

Last edited by Racin Time; 06-13-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Front Sway Bar Movement

Old 06-13-2017, 12:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

On the C6Z the brackets holding the bushings have no tension adjustment. The two bolts are fully tightened and there is no more squeezing of the bushings. When the links are disconnected the bar has some resistance and is free to move up and down.
Yes, I am not talking about any built in and/or "official" adjustment, I am talking about your own fabrication. The bushing may be worn.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
Not sure which post you are referring to. Just so you know, setting sway bars neutral is a separate process from corner or cross weight. Right? Only need adjustable end links (actually you can do it with ONE on each sway bar.

A good adjustable end link (if you shop around) is about the same cost as a collar and you are fixing the problem, not treating the symptom. I like qa1. Or if you have big $$$ Aurora.
thanks for your sarcastic and superior comments. yes I do know about corner weighting and re setting sway bar connections. david farmer makes a comment about corner weighting and you praise him, I make a comment about corner weighting and Im some idiot with Alzheimer's who's stumbled into the wrong thread.

racin time has an issue with sway bar movement - I have given him a simple solution. you can give him the more complex solution and he can make a decision which route he goes.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks for your sarcastic and superior comments. Yes i do know about corner weighting and re setting sway bar connections. David farmer makes a comment about corner weighting and you praise him, i make a comment about corner weighting and im some idiot with alzheimer's who's stumbled into the wrong thread.

Racin time has an issue with sway bar movement - i have given him a simple solution. You can give him the more complex solution and he can make a decision which route he goes.
Name:  IMG_2109.JPG
Views: 1740
Size:  49.1 KB
The following users liked this post:
froggy47 (06-13-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6Z Front Sway Bar Movement