Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[LM24] Official 2017 24hrs of LeMans Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Did some quick Le Mans analysis. None of this is earth shattering, but since we've had BoP and other discussions, figured I would post some things here. Sorted by "fastest" (pace).
Thanks for both the table and the analysis --
The following users liked this post:
z28lt1 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:30 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Here's a great post of individual driver times by their top 20 lap time average and single lap time.

Even though Jan had a faster single lap, Jordan was marginally fast over a 20 lap average. Garcia of course was a bit faster yet. However as I mentioned he was suffering from dehydration at the end.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Thanks for the post Baylor. Always like looking at data in different ways.
t
I'm really beginning to think that Corvette thought going with a "fresh" driver in the heat would be best, which is why those two alternated single stints at the end.

Jan's very fast single lap helped his average. Here are the 25 fastest laps for the #63. Looking at this list, and not having Garcia available, you would probably pick Taylor

Jan MAGNUSSEN
Antonio GARCIA
Antonio GARCIA
Jordan TAYLOR
Antonio GARCIA
Jordan TAYLOR
Jordan TAYLOR
Antonio GARCIA
Antonio GARCIA
Antonio GARCIA
Jordan TAYLOR
Jordan TAYLOR
Jordan TAYLOR
Jordan TAYLOR
Jan MAGNUSSEN
Antonio GARCIA
Jan MAGNUSSEN
Antonio GARCIA
Antonio GARCIA
Jan MAGNUSSEN
Jan MAGNUSSEN
Jan MAGNUSSEN
Antonio GARCIA
Jordan TAYLOR
Jan MAGNUSSEN
Old 06-20-2017, 03:33 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by sunsalem
With Porsche now in P1, it didn't make financial sense to race a sister brand.
The next time we see Audi in big-time racing it may be F1.
Not to mention the retirement of Dr. Ulrich and Lena Gaade.
sunsalem (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:51 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Shifter
Not to mention the retirement of Dr. Ulrich and Lena Gaade.

Although it gets a lot of coverage during the race, LMP1 with two P-cars, three Toyotas and a privateer is quite dull. And also a great time for Ford or GM (or maybe Ford AND GM) to enter and win LMP1--less competition....
Old 06-20-2017, 05:01 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Although it gets a lot of coverage during the race, LMP1 with two P-cars, three Toyotas and a privateer is quite dull. And also a great time for Ford or GM (or maybe Ford AND GM) to enter and win LMP1--less competition....
The LMP1 class has priced themselves nearly out of existence.
Only the big hybrids have a chance at a win.

The BIG story this race was the LMP2 class.
Lots of entries and damn near as fast.
In fact, the Jackie Chan car was almost the OVERALL winner.

Jordan Taylor tweaks his story a little bit:
“With five or six laps to go I could feel that we were losing some performance in the front tires and I was picking up a massive understeer,” he said. “It was becoming difficult to drive.
“I was locking up a little bit, but then one lap I go into the second chicane and I’m not sure if I had a puncture or what it was but it locked instantly with no warning.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/t...podium-finish/
Old 06-20-2017, 06:21 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Member '09

My favorite form of P-1 was when the Audi and Peugeot turbo diesels used to duke it out....
sunsalem (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:15 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

The BIG story this race was the LMP2 class.
Lots of entries and damn near as fast.
In fact, the Jackie Chan car was almost the OVERALL winner.
The biggest winner out of this is event is anyone that can build/sell LMP1-L cars (non-hybrid, LMP1s) to privateers. Sam Collins mentioned something about the Toyota 4 cylinder turbo that they use in Super GT becoming available as a customer engine, which would probably be a great starter for that class. Combine that with any decent chassis, and if the hybrid cars all break again, you're in the clear sailing to an OVERALL victory at Le Mans for way less money than the hybrid powered cars. Sadly, the only LMP1-L car in the field this year, fielded by ByKolles, and it broke really early in the race. If Ginetta gets a good chassis to market, and someone has a decent engine lease program for these teams (Toyota, Cosworth, etc.), that class could explode with people wanting to go faster than LMP2 and develop their own bodywork. LMP2 certainly doesn't look broken, so maybe the answer is just run there.
sunsalem (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Did some quick Le Mans analysis. None of this is earth shattering, but since we've had BoP and other discussions, figured I would post some things here. Sorted by "fastest" (pace).

To determine "fastest" for the cars, I've used the average of each car's top 10 lap times. I think that gives us a better idea of speed that just fastest single lap time. Note, the data I am working with is truncated to the nearest 10th, so rounding errors may occur.

For cars that had the same average for 10ths, I ordered them in order of finish.

Some notes:
• BoP about as best as you could hope for

• As I think I noted I saw, the Astons did have a little speed advantage

• The Corvettes and Fords had equivalent pace, despite some claims that the Fords
were slower

• Porsches sandwiched the Corvettes and Fords, so in the same area as well

• Ferraris seemed slowest, which was odd as the “baseline” car for adjustments. Think with 2 of them having significant issues we didn’t get a good read. Great job by the 71 to finish 5th despite the pace

• As expected, there is a huge correlation between time in the pits and track position

• The 97 Aston somehow managed to get through with one less pit stop than everyone else, and also the quickest total pit time. With the best pace and best pits, it is amazing they didn’t run away with it, but fast car, and great execution means victory almost all the time.

• The data doesn’t show some of the strategy items, such as pitting with or getting caught in slow zones or safety cars out. The Corvettes changed brakes under safety car in 1:15, while the Aston changed brakes under green in 2:30. Probably the main reason why it was even close. Data doesn't show time the #64 (or anyone else) spent waiting for a push/wrecker.
I also completely agree with all your conclusions and that BOP was nearly "perfect" this year.

I agree, and I thought the coverage this year was far more focused on GTE-Pro than usual and more than any other class. From about hour 12 on, GTE-Pro got the majority of the airtime.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-21-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page news!

Our front page take on the race...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...-loss-le-mans/
Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

But for a hole in my tire, there go I... The other team knows they would have lost otherwise. But, a win is a win.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:11 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by Foosh
I also completely agree with all your conclusions and that BOP was nearly "perfect" this year.
Complete agreement.....great race, even if CR didn't win, it was still exciting.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:36 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

in case you were wondering

Ransomware Attack Affecting 3,400 Businesses Was Responsible For Le Mans Stream Outages
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/ransom...pon-1796350228

The official paid live stream of this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans was unusually bad, blacking out for chunks during the race. Fans unhappy with the stream’s quality were advised to request refunds, but many were initially denied. Thankfully, it sounds like they’re finally making good on users’ refunds now that the dust has settled—and no user information was compromised.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:54 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Are the rules such that the diesel turbo cars can no longer win?

Jordan Taylor tweaks his story a little bit:
“With five or six laps to go I could feel that we were losing some performance in the front tires and I was picking up a massive understeer,” he said. “It was becoming difficult to drive.
“I was locking up a little bit, but then one lap I go into the second chicane and I’m not sure if I had a puncture or what it was but it locked instantly with no warning.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/t...podium-finish/
I assume he probably saw the telemetry and his flat tire story was looking a little "flat". But, I still say the impact from the Aston had something to do with the 63 car's problems on that last lap. If you notice, the 63's left fender and headlamp assembly showed lots of damage at the end and the impact from that Aston was a nice pop. Perhaps it set into motion a series of issues over the next number of seconds that affected suspension, tires and bodywork. I'd sure love to see the telemetry and the video footage covering the 63 car over the entire course after the impact to the finish.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 06-23-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:37 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Are the rules such that the diesel turbo cars can no longer win?
IIRC, it's an energy density thing, when comparing diesel to gasoline. I know when Audi was the only game in town, they were arguing for less strict rules on gasoline engines so that someone would come challenge them. Now, the rules are all built around the hybrid stuff for Manufacturers vs privateers which don't have to run hybrids in LMP1, courtesy of the L class subset.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:51 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

I assume he probably saw the telemetry and his flat tire story was looking a little "flat". But, I still say the impact from the Aston had something to do with the 63 car's problems on that last lap. If you notice, the 63's left fender and headlamp assembly showed lots of damage at the end and the impact from that Aston was a nice pop. Perhaps it set into motion a series of issues over the next number of seconds that affected suspension, tires and bodywork. I'd sure love to see the telemetry and the video footage covering the 63 car over the entire course after the impact to the finish.
I would like to see more video & telemetry too.
No doubt the Aston "pop" played a part.
Perhaps JT should have played it safer and try to avoid the touch?
Old 07-05-2017, 03:04 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Did anyone catch Calvin Fish saying in the Glen broadcast that Jordan admitted it was his mistake that caused him to run thru the gravel pit on the penultimate lap? Something to the effect that he was feeling the pressure from the AM and missed his braking point.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:06 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

I did.

Quick Reply: [LM24] Official 2017 24hrs of LeMans Thread