Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Z06 sue GM With Class-Action Lawsuit Because The Car Is So Bad On Track

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Hershey71

I'm not babying the car around the track either. I do have additional cooling enabled while I'm on the track ----- > RUN your heater on high with the windows down. Once you hit 145 - 165 MPH you won't even think about the temp in the cabin.
Some people don't know hot to do that. The heater can definitely take some heat out of the coolant which will take it out of the oil.

Bill
Old 11-16-2017, 10:19 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Just my opinion but at track speeds running your heater will not stop your car from overheating. If your car is going to overheat on the track, it is going to overheat regardless if the heater is used or not. The amount of btu's removed from the heater core with the fan on high is a minuscule percentage of what a 650 hp is producing. Also, there is no free ride as when you run the heater on high the fan draws amps and the alternator has to supply those amps which adds load to the engine and slightly offsets the btu advantage you're trying get using your heater. Plus, the air flow moved by the fan and duct restriction is very minimal compared to what a radiator in 80 mph air flow can do.

At idle or stuck in stop and go driving, the heater might help....but on the track with the engine maxed out, no way.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:56 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Just my opinion but at track speeds running your heater will not stop your car from overheating. If your car is going to overheat on the track, it is going to overheat regardless if the heater is used or not. The amount of btu's removed from the heater core with the fan on high is a minuscule percentage of what a 650 hp is producing. Also, there is no free ride as when you run the heater on high the fan draws amps and the alternator has to supply those amps which adds load to the engine and slightly offsets the btu advantage you're trying get using your heater. Plus, the air flow moved by the fan and duct restriction is very minimal compared to what a radiator in 80 mph air flow can do.

At idle or stuck in stop and go driving, the heater might help....but on the track with the engine maxed out, no way.
Your analysis is one of academia. I have observed in '68 convertible that the heater definitely reduced engine temps while in a stop and go parade through town. Though at speed, as you say, the percentage of help will be reduced but it still helps and worth doing anytime the temps rise.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by TrackAire

The heater does help. It works based on the straw that broke the camel's back principle. Knock a couple of degrees off the max temp and the car won't over heat as fast.

Running the heater on high doesn't mean you run the fan on high. All you want is air flow through the heater without it being shunted somewhere else by the HVAC. Set the fan speed on low, set temp on high. At speeds between 90 Plus mph there will be sufficient air flow through the heater. The inside of the car will get very hot but the slightly increased cooling capacity permits the driver to see a reduction in engine temps.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
rb185afm (02-25-2018)
Old 11-26-2017, 05:47 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

last ditch effort when every little bit is better than nothing
Old 11-27-2017, 11:07 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Running the heater helps - I'd do that with my '13 Z06 when running track days in the Summer...in Texas. Have used that trick a few times with students in their vettes, every little bit helps.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:28 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/the-755-horsepo...995-1820831132

the new ZR1

Thirteen radiators.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:29 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

...and it continues: 4th lawsuit filed over C7 Corvette Z06 cooling issues
Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Problem has been solved

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
last ditch effort when every little bit is better than nothing
Guys, I know you are trying to get past the overheating without modifying the car but that is not going to happen.
The law suit should ask GM to supply you with a system like our LG dual Intercooler system that they emulated not the new ZR1, Gee, who would have thought?

this is the car that we ran over and over at professional race speeds with no issues, OUR WATER TEMP NEVER GOT OVER 194F in the entire event on track winning the event. NOW this car is heading to Nurburgring to set our best time.
AND our engine has a cam and headers with 800 Flywheel HP..

Have your lawyers call me and I can explain the short comings of this car that only needs our aftermarket cooling package.
Thanks

Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports
Don't waste your time and money going to track days and only doing a few laps.

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 02-21-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:20 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

How does the HVAC system work? It's not coolant bypasses the heater core when the heater isn't on. Isn't the difference between "cold" and "hot" just how open the baffles from the "hot" side are in the HVAC ducting? Wouldn't coolant be going through the heater core no matter what?

I'm sure it helps, but it's a nominal amount. As a former powertrain development engineer, I can tell you the Z06 definitely has a major design flaw when it comes to powertrain cooling.

With that said, as an attorney, I highly doubt the class gets certified. The damages are just too inconsistent. Some people track their cars, some dont. Some people knew about the problem and bought it anyway, some didn't. It would be a real fumble by GM's lawyers if they couldn't break up the class and force everyone to sue individually (which no one would).

Last edited by village idiot; 02-28-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:30 PM
jscottdean
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Corvette Z06 or ZR1

I am getting the itch to get a new 2018 Z06 or ZR1 Corvette. My only concern is that class action lawsuit that was filed about a year ago claiming that the cars were not track ready for the earlier 2015-2017 vettes. Has anything changed with the new vettes and has it been proven to be a resolved overheating issue thus eliminating 'limp mode"?
Old 05-11-2018, 02:43 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jscottdean
I am getting the itch to get a new 2018 Z06 or ZR1 Corvette. My only concern is that class action lawsuit that was filed about a year ago claiming that the cars were not track ready for the earlier 2015-2017 vettes. Has anything changed with the new vettes and has it been proven to be a resolved overheating issue thus eliminating 'limp mode"?
They were testing them at Spring Mountain in 100 degree temps and reported they did just fine.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 PM
jscottdean
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by village idiot
They were testing them at Spring Mountain in 100 degree temps and reported they did just fine.
So is this documented anywhere yet? I live in Texas and we are at 102 today. I want to get my hands on as much 'proof' as I can before I buy....just like those plaintiffs said....why by a bad *** track rod if you cant track rod it?
Old 05-11-2018, 07:28 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
The car just did a 2:05.xx at NCM MSP, factory setup including tires.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:23 PM
lou imbrogno
2nd Gear

Default how do i join the class action suit on Z06

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
How do i join the Z06 class action suit .. Lou
Old 05-22-2018, 03:40 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jscottdean
So is this documented anywhere yet? I live in Texas and we are at 102 today. I want to get my hands on as much 'proof' as I can before I buy....just like those plaintiffs said....why by a bad *** track rod if you cant track rod it?
documented? No.
I saw them running out there if that helps though.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by lou imbrogno
How do i join the Z06 class action suit .. Lou
Have you had your A8 over heat on track? Very few M7s over heat (I personally don't know of any that have) and M7s are well represented at track days where they are pretty much the Ultimate Track Car.

Unless they have some way of keeping readily available public data showing how well these cars run out of the court room the action is doomed. I probably have 30 videos posted on YouTube showing how well my car does and there are plenty of other people posting them as well.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Z06 sue GM With Class-Action Lawsuit Because The Car Is So Bad On Track

Old 05-23-2018, 12:00 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Have you had your A8 over heat on track? Very few M7s over heat (I personally don't know of any that have) and M7s are well represented at track days where they are pretty much the Ultimate Track Car.

Unless they have some way of keeping readily available public data showing how well these cars run out of the court room the action is doomed. I probably have 30 videos posted on YouTube showing how well my car does and there are plenty of other people posting them as well.

Bill
huh?
If it's warm out (85+) and especially if it's not a 17 and up, it's pretty prone to overheating if driven hard. Manual 18's were overheating in 90 degree air when I was at Spring Mountain, and it wasn't uncommon. The drivers were instructed to short shift.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:34 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

huh?
Manual 18's were overheating in 90 degree air when I was at Spring Mountain, and it wasn't uncommon. The drivers were instructed to short shift.
With the windows up and A/C on....come on now.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:05 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

huh?
If it's warm out (85+) and especially if it's not a 17 and up, it's pretty prone to overheating if driven hard. Manual 18's were overheating in 90 degree air when I was at Spring Mountain, and it wasn't uncommon. The drivers were instructed to short shift.
Wow! That is 'fantastic'. Must have been some very talented types driving those school cars.

Quick Reply: Corvette Z06 sue GM With Class-Action Lawsuit Because The Car Is So Bad On Track