Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSOIL Trans Fluid - Upcoming Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default AMSOIL Trans Fluid - Upcoming Track Day

I'm in a bind here, fellas. Could really use some help.

Not sure this is the best place for this, but considering the application...giving it a shot. I had a gallon of AMSOIL Torque-Drive ATF to put in the car. I put it in last night, and it's taking far more than the 3.25'ish quarts that I usually see on the forums and in searches for a refill. Unfortunately, a bit was spilled, but I'd estimate there is 3.7 to 3.8qts in the trans right now and I ran out of fluid. Double checked that the car is level side to side and front to back, and it's pretty darn close if not exact. Still not flowing out of the fill port. Contacted a buddy of mine and he said he had some...it turned out to be AMSOIL Severe Signature Series ATF. Not exactly the same stuff. I read it's designed to comply with DEXRON VI where the TD ATF I have now is Dexron III. My track day is FRIDAY, so I need to get this filled and buttoned up or I'm out. Can't find this stuff local.

My questions:

1: Are other people not draining their trans completely of fluid, or why is mine accepting so much more on a refill? Manual lists full capacity (dry, I assume) at 4.1qts, so I'm certain I'm not overfilling.

2: Can I mix the Torque Drive ATF with the Signature Series ATF? I can't imagine it would need much, hopefully 5 pumps or less.

Here are the fluids in question:
AMSOIL Torque-Drive ATF
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...mission-fluid/

AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Severe ATF
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...mission-fluid/

Hope someone can help, thanks guys!

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 06-28-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:35 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Dug up this post by C66_Racing. Seems like mixing the two, especially in the small amount I'm hoping it will be...will have no issues. If anyone feels otherwise, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...mendation.html
Old 06-29-2017, 07:08 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,750 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

All AMSOIL products are compatible with each other so no issue there. Yes the ATF is "thinner" but should still be able to handle the heat in a race car. No issues I see.

The few times I have done fluid changes in C5's its usually between 3.5-3.8 qts that I replace. Im willing to bet of you stick a finger or something in the hole the fluid level is going to be right there under the bottom of the hole.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:50 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

You can use a mirror and a flashlight to see where the level is. I have an old crack side mirror from a VW I use for this. You can also use an Allen wrench, using the bent end as a dipstick, just be super careful not to drop it in!
Old 06-29-2017, 01:55 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

If the car has any significant angle and is not completely level when you check the level, right to left, front to back, you will not get an accurate read. Not sure if you are using a lift, jack stands or somehow doing this on the ground, but it may be the difference you're seeing between what you installed and reading the level via the fill plug drips.

Like suggested here earlier, take you finger or a bent coat hanger and dip that into the open fill plug and compare that to the distance below the bottom of the fill plug hole.

Last edited by SocalC5Z; 06-29-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DunlevysZ
If the car has any significant angle and is not completely level when you check the level, right to left, front to back, you will not get an accurate read. Not sure if you are using a lift, jack stands or somehow doing this on the ground, but it may be the difference you're seeing between what you installed and reading the level via the fill plug drips.

Like suggested here earlier, take you finger or a bent coat hanger and dip that into the open fill plug and compare that to the distance below the bottom of the fill plug hole.
Car is level front to back and side to side. The short story is I filled through the reverse light switch port, total bonehead move. Already removed the fill plug and drained the trans to the correct level. Got in a hurry to get it done and wasn't using my head. Problem solved.

I've yanked the whole drivetrain out of this thing to replace the clutch and rebuild the torque tube. Yet, I can't figure out how to fill the trans fluid. Go figure. Thanks guys...

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 06-29-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:29 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Wat.

How much higher do you suppose that port is vs the fill plug....

Old 06-30-2017, 12:38 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by carefulnow
Wat.

How much higher do you suppose that port is vs the fill plug....

Yep, give me your worst. Well deserved at this point. Someone take my tools away before I hurt myself.

Positive view is I knew it was too much and never fired up the car. Sad part is I didn't catch on sooner. Proper amount of fluid is in the car and drove 5 hours to the track today. All is well. Except we got hammered with golf ball to baseball size hail in Omaha. A few of our cars got hammered. Dented up panels and even a broken windshield. My ZO6 seems to have shrugged it off.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:17 PM
Jeredk21
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where were you racing? Rpm?
Old 07-01-2017, 02:23 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jeredk21
Where were you racing? Rpm?
Yes, we were at RPM all day today for the Fast Friday event.

Get notified of new replies

To AMSOIL Trans Fluid - Upcoming Track Day

Quick Reply: AMSOIL Trans Fluid - Upcoming Track Day