Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for thoughts and experience on MVP Track Time at Road America. HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Looking for thoughts and experience on MVP Track Time at Road America. HPDE

Road America is a bucket list track that I want to run. Its about a 13 hour tow for me from eastern PA. I’d like to make sure I get the most out of the experience. When long distances are involved I like Chin for DE’s. I love the amount of track time and the level of instruction with Chin. I’m ok with the premium price tag of Chin. If I’m laying out money for a hotel, 8+ hours of towing fuel, and extra vacation days from work I want to maximize the experience.

Since Chin doesn’t run Road America, I’m looking for recommendations for a DE organization that has a similar format. I’ve looked on MSR and it looks like the options are limited. I see PCA, Audi, and MVP. MVP sounds similar to the Chin format. But what a website says versus what actually happens can be very different.

Can anyone share their experience with MVP or offer a suggestion on an organization for Road America?

Thank you
Old 07-06-2017, 02:19 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I ran with MVP at Road Atlanta once back in 2015. No issues, no complaints, but like you, I generally run with Chin if I am doing HPDE and have a choice. Mark Pfeffer was really responsive via email with a few questions I had prior to registration. I don't believe I've run with them since, but for no other reason than I haven't had the need to do so. 20 minute sessions which stretched to 25 after lunch, but no large happy hour like Chin typically runs at the end of the day.

They do run many of the big name tracks, which takes some pretty heavy capital outlay (COTA for instance) so I assume they must be doing somewhat well as an organization.

Last edited by fleming23; 07-06-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out http://hpdejunkie.com/locations/road-america/

Also through RA http://www.roadamerica.com/experienc...rack-days.html
Old 07-10-2017, 09:35 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Mark's format is a bit different than others.

Track Time - at least two hours per day for each of three run groups.

Novice lead follow first session, limited instructors available must sign up after drivers meeting.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:56 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
...They do run many of the big name tracks, which takes some pretty heavy capital outlay (COTA for instance)....
Yeah - they have an event at Daytona in Dec (first time they will have run an event here), and Daytona costs a lot for an organization, which leads to expensive registration costs for the drivers.

There are only a few HPDE type events at Daytona every year, and the MVP event will be less expensive than the others!

Because it will be their first event here, I was wondering about the organization as well. I searched the forum for some info, and reports from those that have attended their events are that they run a very good event.

I plan to do their Dec Daytona event. I got my brother-in-law and his car partner to sign up - they'll be coming down from Virginia .

Hope to see some of you here for the event!! Let me know if you'll be coming down and I can arrange a dinner get-together for us forum members Friday or Saturday evening.

Last edited by BEZ06; 08-01-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:55 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Good Day All:

I'm happy to share anything about MVP with anyone who has questions. Don't hesitate to call me at (314) 249-3770.

Happy Motoring!

Feff
Old 08-01-2017, 10:41 AM
GT Racing Tires
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Mark at MVP runs a good event. Sign up and have fun.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Thank you all for your responses. Its clear to me that this is a group worth checking out. I had someone on facebook message me their event schedule for the day. This is what I am looking for. Road America will be on the 2018 calendar.

Want to make sure the long tow and four days away is worth it.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:29 PM
omniglh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you're talking 2018 I'd also very highly recommend LAPS Inc.

http://lapstrackdays.com/

He's always got at least one RA event on the calendar.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:49 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You will not be disappointed in either MVP or Road America. I have been doing RA for the last 12 years with several being with MVP. Mark runs a great event and I think you get an excellent value for the track time and money spent. I couldn't make his RA events this year but will be doing the other RA (Road Atlanta) with MVP in November. Both are long hauls from St. Louis but both well worth it even though I now enjoy Road Atlanta better
Old 08-06-2017, 06:59 AM
Feffman
Racer

Mark at MVP runs a good event. Sign up and have fun.
Originally Posted by TmillerC5
You will not be disappointed in either MVP or Road America. I have been doing RA for the last 12 years with several being with MVP. Mark runs a great event and I think you get an excellent value for the track time and money spent. I couldn't make his RA events this year but will be doing the other RA (Road Atlanta) with MVP in November. Both are long hauls from St. Louis but both well worth it even though I now enjoy Road Atlanta better
Thank you for the kind words about MVP. I hope to see all of you at the track this year.

Feff
Old 08-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

As Road America(RA) is the closest Track to me I can comment on this. I have ran at RA with MVP, NWSC, and SCCA.

The scca day is a charity event and it's a joke. If you want to drive on the track it will get you out there but its not a proper trackday. They don't really prioritize rules, safety, or track time. A number of people out there aren't regular track day goers, and a number of the scca folks all think they are superstars and don't watch their mirrors. It ends up generally being 2-3 groups of cars driving in traffic 10 minuts into 20 minute sessions.

MVP is much better. People are grouped based on actual awareness, so once you get out of the novice group you have people with better mirror awareness. Due to relative limited passing areas though you can get stuck in traffic from time to time. Though generally it doesn't back up like SCCA. A number of my friends don't like running with MVP cause Mark comes across as almost militant about the rules. It makes me feel safer that I know people aren't going to be allowed to pull any stupid stunts on the track, but it isn't for everyone.

North Woods Shelby Club has to be the best event I have been to at RA. It is now a 4 day weekend. I think they are keeping that setup but I am not sure. Thursday is open track but its only for advanced drivers and I don't feel I fit that bill in skill or prep, as I don't run scrubs, and most people in group 1(advanced group) and a number of people 2 do. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are normal track days. 4 groups 5 sessions a day at 20-30 minutes. The last few sessions in 1-2 are longer in the afternoon.

They run 4 groups so you can slot your skill/prep in better with people. Though its sort of free placement, you just pick your group, so there are slow people in 2 and 3, probably 1 as well but I have never run in it. The real win with NWSC is that there are TONS of passing zones. One of my friends runs a brz and he complains that he can't pass in many of the passing zones cause they are so short. With a corvette this is mostly a nonissue, and having all the passing zones are great because cars don't tend to stack up behind the slow people as long as they are watching their mirrors.

NWSC RA weekend is the one track day I will always run if I have a functional car. It is fast, it is fun. Nothing wrong with MVP imo but as my friends don't like it we don't run with them anymore. Just run NWSC events now. Very many people come from all over to that day cause it is minimally 3 days, so its a nice long weekend if you have to travel I guess it makes it more worth your travel time.

Also, RA is pretty sketchy in October. I have been there 4 times in October, its never been good weather. 60 overcast misting or raining on and off, sure its just bad luck but still its obviously frustrating. Mind you it can hit 90+ in Wisconsin June through August but in general its more like 80 all summer so i would shoot for a summer trackday vs spring or fall. I have gotten lucky on april days in the past, then the next year luckily skipped it and it snowed, so I don't run April days anymore. It can rain any day but April and May it rains a bunch. If you are going to travel I would stick to June July or August.

Last edited by Socko; 08-06-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:29 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I have run MVP events at Road America for several years now. It's lots for track time. I run in advanced group and there are so many passing zones that its tough to get held up for very long. Guys in that group are fast, competent and polite. 3 run groups and 20 minute sessions. Just don't show up late for tech!!!!!

I also ran once with NWSC and they are a nice group also. They have 4 run groups but still get in a lot of track time. Their advanced group attracted a lot of well driven 600+ HP cars. I did not pass anyone all weekend.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I've ran Road America with MVP and would recommend them. I've also ran with North Woods Shelby Club and they always rent the track for Fri, Sat, Sun (recently added a Thursday) which makes it worth your while coming from Pa. IIRC the cost was $685 for all 3 days which is pretty reasonable IMO. Plus it's fun passing mustangs all day.. (grin). When NWSC rents it they allow camping in the paddock at night.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 AM
Feffman
Racer

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I have run MVP events at Road America for several years now. It's lots for track time. I run in advanced group and there are so many passing zones that its tough to get held up for very long. Guys in that group are fast, competent and polite. 3 run groups and 20 minute sessions. Just don't show up late for tech!!!!!
The Intermediate group for Road America October 14-15 is full. Limited spots remaining for the Advanced and Novice groups at Road America.

Feff
Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 479 Posts

My feeling is MVP is one of the best organized groups in the Midwest region. They did the best job of sticking to schedules and getting a lot of track time for participants. They run short on instructors and will simply move people to solo or to higher groups out of convenience rather than achievement. This doesn't really compromise safety but it does run the potential for you being placed in a run group that is above your skill level and will make you uncomfortable. In that event you need to speak up.

Upon coming to Florida I learned that Chin is on a whole different (higher) level. Do one Chin event and you'll think they're crazy with their requirements and checkout process. However they're meticulous about novices always having instructors as well as the process for graduating to higher levels. Once you're out of the novice group, you're passing in corners. Their 'Red' group, at least in Florida, is filled with very seasoned drivers as well as outright pros (Mike Skinner is almost always at the Sebring events in his Goodwood truck). The drivers in Blue and Red group have a track and situational awareness that surpasses most 'advanced' drivers in other HPDE organizations. So currently Chin is my first choice of groups followed by MVP.

As for Road America, it's one of my favorite tracks. It makes the other local tracks such as Blackhawk, Gingerman, and Autobahn feel like little league.

Last edited by spearfish25; 08-17-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for thoughts and experience on MVP Track Time at Road America. HPDE

Quick Reply: Looking for thoughts and experience on MVP Track Time at Road America. HPDE