Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood 4-Piston Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:29 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Wilwood 4-Piston Calipers?

Any C5 guys use the Wilwood 4-Piston caliper set up for HPDEs? And if you do, how well do they work over stock?

Thanks.

Spaggs
Old 07-08-2017, 11:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I used the W6A front 6 piston and W4A rear 4 piston on my C6Z. They worked well on that car and you should be able to find a set that will fit under your wheels.

I also used the LG G Stop Wilwood 6 piston large 6L6 kit on the front of my C5Z for four seasons. They worked very well and gave plenty of brake pad life since the pads were about an inch thick. This kit would fit under the stock C5Z front wheel with plenty of clearance. The C5Z rear wheel actually had less clearance but would clear by about 1/16 inch between the caliper and the backside of the spokes.

Take a look at both of those kits.

Bill
Old 07-09-2017, 01:22 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I ran SL4's up front for a while, but the pad taper was really bad. Really bad.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Wow! Thick pads and they fit in the stock wheels. What diameter rotor?

Don't want to hijack but .... do the popular calipers use pads with similar surface area? I'm sure they're all different shapes, but do any of them tie you into the manufacturer for the pads or can you get them from PFC, Raybestos, ...

Thanks

Rob

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

I also used the LG G Stop Wilwood 6 piston large 6L6 kit on the front of my C5Z for four seasons. They worked very well and gave plenty of brake pad life since the pads were about an inch thick. This kit would fit under the stock C5Z front wheel with plenty of clearance.
Bill
Old 07-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Just did a quick search. See they use stock rotors. Also decided that if I'm going for the upgrade I'm probably better off biting the bullet and getting another set of rear wheels and going with the 14" rotors.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:29 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The LG Wilwood kit worked really well for me too. I'm running a larger kit now, but still have some sets of pads around (Carbotech RP2, Wilwood H) that I would sell at a large discount if you go that route.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

i ran 20mm sl6's and they worked very well. If you buy the right bracket you can actually use any of the stock front c5/c6 rotors with the caliper.

I went with the sl6 cause they stopped making the w series calipers a few years ago and the replacement aero series are huge and don't fit under stock wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood 4-Piston Calipers?

Quick Reply: Wilwood 4-Piston Calipers?