Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing the Dipstick Tube on a C4 Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default Sealing the Dipstick Tube on a C4 Question

So I ran my C4 at a track yesterday with a long banked left hand turn. I was spraying oil on the headers and frame rail on the right side of the car (dipstick is on the right) out the end of the dipstick tube. The dipstick was pushed all the way in. The dipstick is the original from 1990, but I would think it shouldn't need anything extra to seal... Anyone else experience this? What was your fix? The engine was just put together 2 weeks ago and this is the first time it has been on track (rings seated with break in oil and some 3rd gear pulls). No oil blowing out in a straight line and high RPM. I think the banked left turn, engine rotating that way, and oil splashing that way in the pan all contributed. I have a Canton Road Race pan installed and 3qt accumulator, so there is lots of oil in there, but I would have thought the pan would help control the flow a little better.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:56 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

What is in your catch cans? "Rings really seated??? I found on motor racing only it needed some races before the motor really sealed up tight. I started after breakin with about 3oz of oil in catchcan per race then less until about 4 races no oil at all. Maybe blowby is blowing the dipstick out.Happened to me once with a bad motor post rebuild when rings did not seat.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:33 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Thanks for the response. There were only a few drops in the catch can which made me think the rings were seated. I understand what you are saying though and will continue to monitor it. The dipstick itself was all the way down up against the tube, but Im guessing the 30 year old OE dipstick just isnt sealing well anymore. I ended up buying a pan mounted dipstick from Canton for $20. It moves the dipstick from the passenger side to the diver side, and it installs in the kickout not the block. Hopefully there is less oil movement in that location. I also bought a plug to seal up the existing hole in the block.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:52 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Try a good vacuum gauge:

http://www.gregsengine.com/using-a-vacuum-gauge.html

Get notified of new replies

To Sealing the Dipstick Tube on a C4 Question

Quick Reply: Sealing the Dipstick Tube on a C4 Question