Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day Vette?

Old 07-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Hunterworks
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT was cross country racing in UTV's I did it back in the day when it got started in the south in a Yamaha rhino then last time I raced was in a Polaris RZR XP 900 been about three years since I did it. 3 hr race, start in day time end at night.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:32 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunterworks
So I am just dipping my toe in the water here, I think I would really enjoy this
The way I got started... bought a stock C5Z and drove it both on street and track (HPDEs). Relatively low cost, only thing you need to do is change out the fluids, fill with extra quart of oil for track, and put on fresh brake pads. If you really get into the hobby and get to the point of wanting to make a bunch of the mods listed above, you'll be better off selling the stock car and buying one already tracked out. Most folks though never get to the point of really needing all the mods. But you will go through tires, brake pads, rotors, and wheel hubs faster on track than the street.
The following users liked this post:
Hunterworks (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:16 AM
Hunterworks
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
The way I got started... bought a stock C5Z and drove it both on street and track (HPDEs). Relatively low cost, only thing you need to do is change out the fluids, fill with extra quart of oil for track, and put on fresh brake pads. If you really get into the hobby and get to the point of wanting to make a bunch of the mods listed above, you'll be better off selling the stock car and buying one already tracked out. Most folks though never get to the point of really needing all the mods. But you will go through tires, brake pads, rotors, and wheel hubs faster on track than the street.
This reply almost makes me interested again. I am not sure I would get serious about it, might try hard not to.

I really enjoy speed and tickets aren't cheap
Old 07-14-2017, 10:37 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
You have experience, know this is a good hobby for you, and want a track only car. The biggest factor is to buy something that is already a full on track car (i.e., one that is already caged, has fire suppression, cooling (oil, water, trans, diff, brakes), aero, coil overs, dry sump (ARE, not stock) and BBK. With these mods, C5 vs C6, vs C7 is not that important. I'd put my ST2 C5 FRC up against any stock vette over a 30 minute race. C5 will be a bit cheaper, newer will be a bit faster. But there are a lot of good ST1 C5s out there. Track cars like these go for about 1/3rd of the price of a new C7Z
This. You are looking at a new vette price, add $15 to 30k to prep for the track. You will spend a fortune when you could buy a sorted car that will take years to fully exploit for 25 to 30k.

Also, hp doesn't have nearly as much to do with road racing as you think.

Last edited by crimlwC6; 07-14-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added last line
Old 07-14-2017, 12:07 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I don't know why these guys think there's a problem with the C7 Z06!?!?

smeelya responded to your question about why not a C7 Z06 with this:

Originally Posted by smellya
Heat issues. Cooking your oil, coolant temp and reduced power.
Then 2014GT said:

Originally Posted by 2014GT
^ as smellya said, plus HP is not the end all for road course work.

The C7Z is well known for overheating on track after 1 or 2 hard laps. The GS gives you the best of the c7 and the c7z(minus HP) and will take hot lap after hot lap without any whining.
I have an M7 and have been very happy with the car. My 2016 C7 Z06/Z07 does "hot lap after hot lap without any whining" and has been a great track car!!

Like fleming23 said, don't get an A8 C7 Z06 - that's the car that has overheating problems.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought my c5z with the idea that it would last till i outgrew it.

1st year clutch was not quite right on track
2nd year broke syncro key, which is super common getting fast enough i had to do a bunch of cooling mods.
3rd year lost a lifter so built a motor
4th year the junk motor a forum vendor sold me was junk so had to buy a new motor
5th year realized i was paying 10k a year to keep the car running, it was down most the time the last 2 summers so barely driven. Realized i could of bought a new gs in 2012 for the $50k i now had into the car. Sold the car and bought a gs with 10k a year payments that gm can fix for me.

Don't assume the 15 year old used car isn't going to disintegrate on track.
Racingswh (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Socko
that gm can fix for me.

The beauty of a new car with a warranty. Exactly why I bought my Wife a new GS. Track days for fun is all that it will ever do. We aren't modding it. It's fast enough. When it breaks I will take it to the dealer.

Her C6Z is waiting on an engine that went down even after I had done the "fix" to the heads.

A C5 is an exceptional platform. They will however probably require more maintenance and repair than a new car which means either more work or expense to have someone else do it and down time.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:54 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

C5/C5Z
Pros: Cheap, light, easy
Cons: Quirky ABS/stability control, lowest power (may be a plus), **** for brakes compared to C6 and C7, no dry sump

C6
Just no. Don't get a C6 unless it's a grand Sport or Z06/ZR1.

C6 Z06/GS/ZR1
Pros: massive tires, good 6 piston calipers, dry sump
Cons: None really. Some LS7s need some head work to be reliable

C7 Z51:
You're gonna upgrade most stuff to GS level so just get a GS

C7 GS:
No real cons except price. 2017 (?)+ has extra cooling. I ran in 103 degree weather and oil temps barely budged.

C7 Z06/Z07
N/A. Can't run laps without overheating.

Honestly through, just buy a spec car (Miata, Boxter, etc) that is built and known to be reliable. street cars just aren't race cars.

Last edited by village idiot; 07-14-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:22 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunterworks
Seems you guys really know your stuff on what is reliable and this is not a Corvette but what about the 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE with extreme track package?
Maybe even better would be the 2014-2015 Camaro Z/28.
Lots of them in the $40's and $50k, basically new. They are amazing on track. Their performance was my target when putting together my C5 for track. I hope to achieve similar lap times for less $. Still waiting for one in my run group.
Hunterworks (07-15-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

The best bang-for-the-buck has to be the C5 Z06. They are just so damn FAST right out of the box, with zero mods (only tires + brakes). Sounds like the valve springs is about the only serious (occasional) failure? Sounds like a cheap/easy fix (...compared to doing heads on an LS7).

I had a C6 Z06, and good god was that car an animal on the track! In the short time that I owned it and tracked it, I didn't feel like it was being any worse on the normal consumables (tires, brakes) than any other car I'd tracked? If it wasn't for my motor grenading, then I'd say the car was perfect!! I didn't do much for track prep, other than track pads and tires. It's probably second in line, next to the C5Z, in terms of bang-for-the-buck, at least IMO.

Tracking your car is a highly addictive, and wickedly fun hobby (...habit). Don't let the fear of breaking or blowing something steer you away. Just accept it. Anything and everything with an engine will break down and/or blow up at some point in its life. Might as well have fun trying!!
Old 08-10-2017, 11:03 AM
mikehimself
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One advantage not already mentioned is that it's easy to run a square tire/wheel setup on a C5. For dual purpose cars, rotating tires and only needing to carry a single spare is very nice. I'd buy something already set up with square wheels, upgraded brakes and an oil cooler.

For what it's worth, over the past two years I've done more than 20 track days, and one lap of america on the same tires and brakes with my C5. It's due for front rotors and tires. I'm nutty about fluid changes, but the running cars are pretty minimal.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

The quickest/easiest way to see if this is for you - and in a right here / right now way - is to do a multi-day driving course at Bondurant, Spring Mountain, etc - they supply the car and the instruction - you supply the money! Classes are scheduled every week pretty much...

Since you've done off road racing - the logical progression from doing track days is to time trials/racing...so - maybe you should think about going with a full-on race car? It's quite a commitment though - so that's why I recommended going to an arrive-n-drive school. See if you are addicted, learn from the pros....and then figure it all out.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:45 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5inWV
Maybe even better would be the 2014-2015 Camaro Z/28.
Lots of them in the $40's and $50k, basically new. They are amazing on track. Their performance was my target when putting together my C5 for track. I hope to achieve similar lap times for less $. Still waiting for one in my run group.
Just to nit pick, performance isn't everything. All cars that runs X lap time aren't equal. IE: you might have a fat car that plows through every turn, but has great brakes and power vs a light car that makes up for power through the turns. I've never driven a 5th gen Z/28, but I have driven an SS for about 20-30 laps. It just plows through turns. It's not much fun.

Strangely, and don't ask me why, I ran the same lap times in that as my Z51 C6 The SS was miserable to drive, the C6 was a lot of fun. I think the track got a lot rougher- that's probably a second or two. I also ran cheap tires on my C6.
Hunterworks (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Hunterworks
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
The quickest/easiest way to see if this is for you - and in a right here / right now way - is to do a multi-day driving course at Bondurant, Spring Mountain, etc - they supply the car and the instruction - you supply the money! Classes are scheduled every week pretty much...

Since you've done off road racing - the logical progression from doing track days is to time trials/racing...so - maybe you should think about going with a full-on race car? It's quite a commitment though - so that's why I recommended going to an arrive-n-drive school. See if you are addicted, learn from the pros....and then figure it all out.
Where is that?
Old 08-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Bondurant in Phoenix area, Spring Mountain is outside of Vegas - google them - you'll see links to their offerings, prices, etc.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:19 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
C6
Just no. Don't get a C6 unless it's a grand Sport or Z06/ZR1.

Honestly through, just buy a spec car (Miata, Boxter, etc) that is built and known to be reliable. street cars just aren't race cars.
Originally Posted by village idiot
Strangely, and don't ask me why, I ran the same lap times in that as my Z51 C6 The SS was miserable to drive, the C6 was a lot of fun. I think the track got a lot rougher- that's probably a second or two. I also ran cheap tires on my C6.
What is inherently wrong with a base C6?
I "daily" mine mostly but it will see track duty from time to time. Is there something I should be prepared for? (LS2)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:02 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
I "daily" mine mostly but it will see track duty from time to time. Is there something I should be prepared for? (LS2)
dry vs wet sump motor, stronger trans/diff, more power, wider tires...

Last edited by fleming23; 08-11-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Day Vette?

Old 08-11-2017, 02:55 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
small brakes, not much cooling, wet sump that has oil starvation issues, narrow (relatively) tires. It's silly to start with a base C6 for a track car when the grand sport exists. There's also a good amount of power left on the table from LS2 to LS3

Last edited by village idiot; 08-11-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
The beauty of a new car with a warranty. Exactly why I bought my Wife a new GS. Track days for fun is all that it will ever do. We aren't modding it. It's fast enough. When it breaks I will take it to the dealer.
Except your car will sit at the dealer for weeks while GM tries to figure out how they don't have to pay to fix the car since its been "abused".
Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 AM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I don't know why these guys think there's a problem with the C7 Z06!?!?

smeelya responded to your question about why not a C7 Z06 with this:

Then 2014GT said:

I have an M7 and have been very happy with the car. My 2016 C7 Z06/Z07 does "hot lap after hot lap without any whining" and has been a great track car!!

Like fleming23 said, don't get an A8 C7 Z06 - that's the car that has overheating problems.

https://youtu.be/42o6JLVdhp8

I have tracked with guys on both sides of the fence on this one, some never have any power issues and others that come in early cursing the car. All were fast drivers that pushed the car.

Any platform will have it's pros and cons, just need to decide where you want to end up. I did start with a base C6 and built from there. I knew I wanted a steel frame car (as opposed to aluminum) since I planned to cage the car some day. I was basically going to upgrade every aspect of the car (power, cooling, brakes, aero, suspension, weight) anyway. My preference included the fact that I wanted to build the car myself because I enjoy doing my own work and aside from the cage and engine tune I have, some prefer turnkey. At the end of the day I ended up with a car as fast as the C7Z at about the same cost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Day Vette?