Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a coolshirt w/ Nomex Under Shirt

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:57 AM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Using a coolshirt w/ Nomex Under Shirt

So the other day I got schooled by someone on proper use of nomex underwear. I was wearing my coolshirt over my nomex under shirt and he said that was stupid. If there was a fire the cool shirt would heat up and steam up and the nomex would be useless and the tubing could even make matters much worse. He said he never wears a coolshirt.

So curious what others think of this and what others do? Sure things are different based on what your racing suit is capable of and whether you have a fire suppression systems or not, etc.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:49 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
So the other day I got schooled by someone on proper use of nomex underwear. I was wearing my coolshirt over my nomex under shirt and he said that was stupid. If there was a fire the cool shirt would heat up and steam up and the nomex would be useless and the tubing could even make matters much worse. He said he never wears a coolshirt.

So curious what others think of this and what others do? Sure things are different based on what your racing suit is capable of and whether you have a fire suppression systems or not, etc.
Well yeah but your sweat in the 120 degree cockpit can do the same thing. That is part of the reason for carbon-x underwear to wick moisture away that nomex does not. But racing is all about relative risk. No cage is perfect, no fires system is perfect, the best we can do is understand risks and choose what compromises we are willing to take. Me I wear cool shirt under race suit just fine or else I'm racing only in the winter.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:59 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

edge - yeah from what I've been told by some of the vendors is that the Cool Shirt is very dangerous and should not be worn for the reasons you mentioned above. You should just wear the fire suit, possibly nomex underwear, and nothing else.

If you have plastic tubes with water like a cool shirt or even some other type of clothing on under the race suit it could burn you very bad in the event of a fire

Proper cooling would be to install NACA air ducts and route air into the cabin for cooling.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:00 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

So what do pro drivers wear?
Old 07-15-2017, 01:02 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Proper air ducting keeps them cool

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...628779001.html

Last edited by dapopa9; 07-15-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:02 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I use one of these, I like it a lot.

https://traqgear.com/product/podium-lcg/
Old 07-16-2017, 12:59 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Well yeah but your sweat in the 120 degree cockpit can do the same thing. That is part of the reason for carbon-x underwear to wick moisture away that nomex does not. But racing is all about relative risk. No cage is perfect, no fires system is perfect, the best we can do is understand risks and choose what compromises we are willing to take. Me I wear cool shirt under race suit just fine or else I'm racing only in the winter.
Ditto.
I figure by the time the fire is hot enough to boil that cold water under my suit, it's probably way beyond too hot for me to still worry about it.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:25 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

never seen a pro driver wear a cool suit. well at least not in the big racing.

guess it comes down to whether you fear fire over comfort.

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Old 07-16-2017, 01:27 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

that looks like a winner! based on the description it connects to the coolshirt system

Originally Posted by carefulnow
I use one of these, I like it a lot.

https://traqgear.com/product/podium-lcg/
Old 07-17-2017, 01:10 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

What I use/wear:
http://coolshirt.com/product/2cool-fr/

My system also has the helmet blower/forced air system - it helps a LOT. The connect hose came loose a week ago while testing down here in Texas....OMG....it's like someone turned the oven on!! It gets REALLY hot in my TA2 Camaro...cooking hot...as in, you'll burn your hands if you touch the interior metal without gloves on...that was it session over...fixed the hose/connector, all good now!

Get notified of new replies

To Using a coolshirt w/ Nomex Under Shirt

Quick Reply: Using a coolshirt w/ Nomex Under Shirt