Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FREE GIVEAWAY/Pre-Sale Thread: AMT Ultralow Seat Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

That sub mount cross bar may not work on the c7 floor with the raised middle. It might.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
That sub mount cross bar may not work on the c7 floor with the raised middle. It might.
You happen to have a picture of the C7 with the seats out? Haven't seen the floor of one of those yet.

Edit: Ah ha. Found one. I don't see why there would be a problem if the drivers side looks like this.

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 07-26-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:35 AM
lowside67
Navigator

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Also wondering - is there any infrastructure for mounting lap belts at the back at all?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-27-2017, 08:33 AM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,866 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yes. You will mount the lap belts to one of the unused holes in the rails.

Here is my current setup.

Last edited by 64drvr; 07-27-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by lrobe22
Yes. You will mount the lap belts to one of the unused holes in the rails.

Here is my current setup.
I'm not exactly a safety-****, but I like the idea of the lap belts being mounted to the steel seat studs going thru the bottom of the car rather than the aluminum mount. That said pretty sure if you were in a frontal impact so hard to rip your lap belts out of 1/2'' thick aluminum you'd probably be cut in half, but I still like the idea of mounting to steel.

So, I do have a concept to make some sexy, super strong, low profile eye bolts that will mount right to the studs in the back of seat. These eyebolts would be custom machined pieces and offered as an add on, but there are many ways to mount lap belts so not everyone might want to use these, so I wouldn't include them with every mount.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:59 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good in for the drawing
Old 07-27-2017, 10:22 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
I'm not exactly a safety-****, but I like the idea of the lap belts being mounted to the steel seat studs going thru the bottom of the car rather than the aluminum mount. That said pretty sure if you were in a frontal impact so hard to rip your lap belts out of 1/2'' thick aluminum you'd probably be cut in half, but I still like the idea of mounting to steel.

So, I do have a concept to make some sexy, super strong, low profile eye bolts that will mount right to the studs in the back of seat. These eyebolts would be custom machined pieces and offered as an add on, but there are many ways to mount lap belts so not everyone might want to use these, so I wouldn't include them with every mount.
Mark can you show picture of how to mount the lapbelts with your new seat mount to the studs as you mention above?

With my previous setup there was a crossbar in back of the seat that had eyelets that the lapbelts and sub belts would clip on to.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:57 AM
REVHARD
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

good looking product, put me in on the contest.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:13 PM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

At 6'6" I am definitely in for this contest.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:21 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I assume a traditional seat slider like the Sparco one would not work with these mounts?

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/track-set-slider
Old 07-28-2017, 07:11 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by dapopa9
I assume a traditional seat slider like the Sparco one would not work with these mounts?

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/track-set-slider
Negative. You generally don't want sliders in a race car, hence these fixed units.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:50 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Here's our CAD mock-up of the rear hook to mount your lap belts. We'll make them out of hardened 17-4PH which has a yield strength of 190,000psi. Figure something like $50 for the pair. I'll get material ordered for these today and try and get some ready to ship this week.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:44 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Very nice work Mark. I'm thinking I am going to need one of these. I'm getting tired of breaking off the air inlet on the top of my helmet as I try to squeeze into my car!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Alright folks this is the last weekend to get in on the giveaway, and the pre-sale price goes away August 9th.

We're shipping a mount today to a giant - 6'7" in a C7Z. Knowing he's gonna need the seat all the way to the back, we came up with a different stud for the rear. Otherwise the stud would impinge on the seat, or you'd have to raise the seat an inch to clear the stud. That might not be a problem for some guys, but when you're 6'7" headroom is at a premium. Unfortunately the larger seat studs are a fact of life, so we chopped them down, and used a nordlok washer and thin hex nut. This way your seat clears the stud and only sits a half inch above the mount. We will most likely just use this setup on all mounts going forward.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:21 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

That rear inner bolt/nut looks like a M'fer to tighten. Mine are not that low and it was a hand-cramping nightmare to reach. Not a critique, just an observational based on experience.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by fleming23
That rear inner bolt/nut looks like a M'fer to tighten. Mine are not that low and it was a hand-cramping nightmare to reach. Not a critique, just an observational based on experience.
​​​​​​Yup, it's gonna suck. That's why we got rid of the nylon lock nuts. At least with this setup you'll finger tighten and then get a couple cranks on it with an open ended wench. Won't be fun, but will be possible.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Lap belts should be mounted so they are at the proper angle to go through the seat pass through and they shouldn't go around the back of the seat to get to the pass through. They need a straight shot from the mount to the pelvis. Anything that deflects them from that straight path becomes part of the restraint and can be subject to up to 3000 lbs of shock load in an incident. Seats will deform under that kind of a load and when that happens you get slack in the belt.

Here are the SFI Guidelines:
LAP BELTS
Lap Belt Angle: -45° to -80° from the horizontal
• Belt should ride within the curvature of the pelvic bone preferably just below the iliac crest
• There should be clear passage through the seat opening without webbing being corded or binding on edges of seat openings with a direct path to the mounting point
The webbing should not ride against any hardware such as seat mounting brackets, bolts, or tabs
• Lap belt adjusters should be clear of the seat openings. Pull-up adjusters if outside the seat opening should be a minimum of 2” below the opening when the lap belt is tightened
Belts to the mounting point should be as short as possible mounted beside the seat and never behind the seat
• Lap belt should be allowed to pivot freely at the mounting point
• Webbing should be allowed to pull on hardware in plane (straight)

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To FREE GIVEAWAY/Pre-Sale Thread: AMT Ultralow Seat Mount

Old 08-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

By the time we're done I feel we'll meet most of the important parts of those SFI guidelines. You can see the quick version we did below for a concept eye bolt. Kinda missed the fact that the eyebolt needs to turn 90 degrees. Also going to move it a little further back and out to the side, so the lap belt angle is the closest it can be to the correct angle. I would rather have the lap belts running to a solid steel bolt attached to the frame rather than some guy drilling a hole in our aluminum mount and threading in some eyebolt of unknown quality. Every integrated lap belt solution I've seen seems to be a compromise in some fashion, and I believe this will have less compromise than most of them.

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 08-04-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Put me down for 2 on the pre-sale Mark. I don't need them immediately. New seats go in next month. I'll communicate with the options. Waiting to see how the lap belt hook comes out.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Yeah, I think I will get a second one too for the passenger side of my Spec Corvette.

Quick Reply: FREE GIVEAWAY/Pre-Sale Thread: AMT Ultralow Seat Mount