Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non GM PDR Set-UP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:05 AM
sportbikes
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Non GM PDR Set-UP?

I use RaceChronos Pro as a non-GM PDR. I like it, but I can't seem to get the data I want (oil temp/gear), even with the OBDlink WiFi and XPS160 GPS.

The most frustrating thing... my android keeps losing connections between sessions and I'm always spending time trying to get them reconnected.

Any recommendations? Anyone using something hardwired?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:58 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

my future plans....use an old phone with obd2 reader and display as many items that can fit on the screen....setup phone location so it doesnt interfere with the view but can be easily seen and read, then just record everything on go pro mounted to roll bar/ harness bar.

No syncing needed, all on video only.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:26 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sportbikes
I use RaceChronos Pro as a non-GM PDR. I like it, but I can't seem to get the data I want (oil temp/gear), even with the OBDlink WiFi and XPS160 GPS.

The most frustrating thing... my android keeps losing connections between sessions and I'm always spending time trying to get them reconnected.

I'm using AIM Solo DL. Plugs into OBD2 and provides temps and a whole lot of other information, assuming you are on track in a C6/C7. Link below lists the data available with this method.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ay_102_eng.pdf
Old 07-23-2017, 05:04 PM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Harry's Lap Timer records Oil Temp. Gear is calculated from speed when you input your car information. Also it will give a programmable shift light. It's what I use.

Sucks that Aim does not support J1850 protocol.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:56 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by sportbikes

I use an almost identical setup, down to the RaceChrono Pro. The engine oil temp's PID for GM vehicles is not in RaceChrono's available list, which is causing your issue. RaceChrono developer will release support for custom PIDs, at which time your issue would be resolved.

Alternatively, leave OBD II logging to Torque Pro, and XGPS160 to RaceChrono. Torque has the right PIDs for GM vehicles (at custom PID sets), which will allow you to read a lot more than what RaceChrono does. You'll then have to sync data, but that's easy: just hold the speed at a specific number for a while at the paddock for a while (which will be recorded by both RaceChrono and Torque), which you can use to make perfect sync.

Here's one of my last videos.

And here is a test video I did, back when I was trying to get my supercharged Miata tuned.

Last edited by X25; 07-25-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:51 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Here's the TDLR (too long didn't read version):
  • Buy an AIM solo unit and run it in conjunction with a Smarty Cam.
  • Dump the data in Race Render, using one of the standard templates
  • This will get you potentially better data than I have, but at the expense of higher upfront cost.

What I'm using:

Still shot of my video layout: most elements are comprised of my own custom code written for Race Render 3

Note: Located near the bottom use the (*) next to the YouTube Logo to change the video to HD

Get notified of new replies

To Non GM PDR Set-UP?

Quick Reply: Non GM PDR Set-UP?