Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers

Old 09-02-2017, 04:06 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

tom take a look at the forward bushing in your upper control arm in that close up picture. it looks like the bushing is being pressed out of the control arm.. if i remeber correctly this used to be an issue with c5s that were tracked with good grip. might want to press in some higer performance derlin bushings or similar.

Last edited by Z06_BluByU; 09-04-2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Fixed phone keyboard typos.. :p
Old 09-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
tom take a look at thr forward bushing in your upper control arm in that close up picture. it looks like the bushing is being pressed out of the control arm.. it i remeber correctly this used to be an issue with c5s that were tracked with good grip. might want to pess in some higer performance derlin bushings or similar.
Thanks! Can't believe I didn't notice that taking the pic.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomswheels
Thanks! Can't believe I didn't notice that taking the pic.
Glad to help!
Old 09-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TPSMak
Tom,

Thanks for the order and I'm glad your happy with them. The Aldan Coilovers are an amazing product... ESPECIALLY when you consider it is made in the USA AND is cheaper than coilovers made overseas.

We have so much confidence in the product that we offer a 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee AND offer a LIFETIME warranty on any manufacturer defects on the products. NO other retailer can offer this warranty on ANY coilover package on the market
great thread, thanks for posting new products like this for guys like us to spend more money on lol

Hi Tom,
Looks like something that I would look into 😀
Question... What do you recommend to a guy that is so happy (or used to is a better word) with how his car handles?

I have C5Z track car with the full GM T1 suspension kit, spherical bearings on all the control arms, full aero with widened COT wing, custom front splitter and now a diffuser.

If any a slightly stiffer spring setup would be nice to offset the extra downforce from the diffuser.

Thanks Riaan
Old 09-05-2017, 12:41 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

what do those t1 control arms actually do? do they have a different geometry?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Z06VENOM
great thread, thanks for posting new products like this for guys like us to spend more money on lol

Hi Tom,
Looks like something that I would look into 😀
Question... What do you recommend to a guy that is so happy (or used to is a better word) with how his car handles?

I have C5Z track car with the full GM T1 suspension kit, spherical bearings on all the control arms, full aero with widened COT wing, custom front splitter and now a diffuser.

If any a slightly stiffer spring setup would be nice to offset the extra downforce from the diffuser.

Thanks Riaan
I think you would REALLY like the coilovers if you gave them a try... if you are still running leaf springs you'll notice that the there is less cross talking with the suspension. We guarantee you'll be happy with them and can help you configure them to your needs
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 09-09-2017, 09:52 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Did I read something about the front only have compression adjustment and the rear only rebound? If so, what's the theory on that?
Old 09-09-2017, 07:19 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

If anyone is looking for a set of Aldan Coilovers please click the link to place your order... GREAT American Made product which performs VERY well.

http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/aldan-...-corvette.html

Last edited by TPSMak; 09-09-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Did I read something about the front only have compression adjustment and the rear only rebound? If so, what's the theory on that?
Steve remember these are meant to balance both street and occasional track use, the theory from Aldan:

We use the compression adjustment on the front shocks to tune and better control the nose dive on hard braking and cornering.

Our rear, rebound adjustable coilovers help control the front end as well, and also keep the rear tires planted. The front compression coilovers in combination with the rear rebound coilovers is an out of the box solution to keep the car level and planted while still being easy to tune. By increasing the rebound in the rear, we're able to slow the weight transfer to the front.

For an all around street and track coilover setup that's adjustable and tunable - We've setup our front and rear coilovers with the selected valving options for ease of adjustment and for the most noticeable outcome of these adjustments, by using compression front and rebound valving in the rear for our C5/C6 kits.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:08 PM
01badvette
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Just got my set of coilovers from Aldan yesterday, I'm hoping to get them on the car tomorrow and balanced on the scales. My first event will be a NCCC autoX this weekend on a go cart track so it will be a good comparison against my outgoing setup.

Last edited by 01badvette; 09-13-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:49 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01badvette
Just got my set of coilovers from Aldan yesterday, I'm hoping to get them on the car tomorrow and balanced on the scales. My first event will be a NCCC autoX this weekend on a go cart track so it will be a good comparison against my outgoing setup.
Excellent, hope you enjoy them as much as I am.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:04 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Just got my set of coilovers from Aldan yesterday
Should have got them from us @ TPS would have saved you some money
Old 09-13-2017, 09:35 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks Tom for the info.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:08 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

How did they work?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:03 PM
01badvette
Racer

Originally Posted by moose.b3
How did they work?

I'm very happy with them, I was able to set the ride heights and then just played with the dampening adjustments at the event and was able to dominate the event. With my Aldan Coilovers I went with the 9" 500lbs front and 550Lbs rear springs along with the spherical bushing upgrades for the rear and derlin bushings in the front. The rest of my setup remained the same with Strano front/rear sways and 275/35 square RE71R tires. I was able to click off a 74.038 time for the FTD of any street legal car and beat every other corvette there by 4 seconds the next closest was a C7 at 78.3XX. I am excited to see how my times drop when I put on my 315/30 square tire setup.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:05 PM
01badvette
Racer

I received my Aldan Coil overs as part of sponsorship though Aldan American, Hard to save money on that.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm very happy with them, I was able to set the ride heights and then just played with the dampening adjustments at the event and was able to dominate the event. With my Aldan Coilovers I went with the 9" 500lbs front and 550Lbs rear springs along with the spherical bushing upgrades for the rear and derlin bushings in the front. The rest of my setup remained the same with Strano front/rear sways and 275/35 square RE71R tires. I was able to click off a 74.038 time for the FTD of any street legal car and beat every other corvette there by 4 seconds the next closest was a C7 at 78.3XX. I am excited to see how my times drop when I put on my 315/30 square tire setup.

Damn, this will likely be my setup for next season. I'm waiting on finding a pair of 18 Speedlines to complete my set of 4 then I'll go to square 315s. The strano bar and konis are doing great, but this'll be next level when I go 315s and coilovers.
I'm anxious now. Lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers

Old 09-20-2017, 07:21 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,024 Posts

I'm heading down this path with my '13 GS. It's my semi-daily driver and my track car. As such, ride becomes important.

The above is the long way of asking...How's the ride quality?

Also...Tom went with 600lb springs up front as I recall vs the 500 you have. Any insight you can share why you went with the lighter spring rate?

Last edited by 96GS#007; 09-20-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:26 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Can you PM me a price and recommended spring rates?

- Semi daily driver plus 1-2 track weekends/month, year round.
- 2013 Grand Sport coupe
- 6 speed manual / dry dump
- Strano solid front bar
- Nitto NT01 tires in stock sizes

Thanks
Old 09-20-2017, 09:08 PM
01badvette
Racer

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I'm heading down this path with my '13 GS. It's my semi-daily driver and my track car. As such, ride becomes important.

The above is the long way of asking...How's the ride quality?

Also...Tom went with 600lb springs up front as I recall vs the 500 you have. Any insight you can share why you went with the lighter spring rate?

i believe Tom went with the stiffer front springs as he is currently running the 315/335 setup for tires and may have wanted the stiffer spring up front to avoid any kind of push. I do drive my car a little on the street but mostly just to and from events and the ride quality is better then my z06 monosprings and DRM bilstiens was and seems pretty comfortable to me, but I enjoy a stiffer feeling ride for my car. I went with the 500/550 spring set as that was Aldans autoX/track based suggestion. When I intially got the coil overs I was hesitant to put them on as I really had my outgoing setup dialed in strong for autoX as I have about 20 events on it this year. Honestly tho the car outperformed my outgoing setup with little to know tuning and I believe is gonna get better the more time I have on it, I am super impressed with the coil overs and how balanced the car feels with little to no tuning.
The following users liked this post:
96GS#007 (09-20-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers