Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Seems like a good time for my Nationals re-cap. First things first, I pushed too hard and overdrove spots on both courses. The Car behaved beautifully, the only thing I would do different is put new tires on, I've been running the same set of Rival S all year and they had about 80 runs on them. Finished 8th out of 14. I think had I driven to the cars capabilities 3rd would have been possible, even with the basically stock drivetrain. After the Nationals my 76 year old Dad and I dialed the Aldans back to the factory softness settings front and rear and drove the 1800 miles home to San Diego. The Aldans ride beautifully, truly a dual purpose upgrade over shocks. I'm convinced the car both handles better and rides better hands down.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Tomswheels; 09-20-2017 at 09:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tomswheels:
63Corvette (10-02-2017), 96GS#007 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 AM
zblackz06
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Congratulations on your improved handling gentleman, I was curious of any of you have or know of issues with the upper mounting area of the coil covers being damaged over time as a result of running coil covers?
I have been told a few times that the coil covers will damage the upper frame mounts due to the frame being made out of aluminum, I just want some piece of mind that if I do switch to coil covers the ride will improve and not damage the car in any way.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Originally Posted by zblackz06
Congratulations on your improved handling gentleman, I was curious of any of you have or know of issues with the upper mounting area of the coil covers being damaged over time as a result of running coil covers?
I have been told a few times that the coil covers will damage the upper frame mounts due to the frame being made out of aluminum, I just want some piece of mind that if I do switch to coil covers the ride will improve and not damage the car in any way.
No problems so far, had the car fully loaded with 500lb of Portly guys and hit some pretty big bumps on the 1800 mile trek home. I'll keep a close eye on the upper mounts and let you know if anything develops.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:54 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't think the frame of a C5Z is aluminum. Should be a non issue.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:22 AM
zblackz06
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chetly
I don't think the frame of a C5Z is aluminum. Should be a non issue.
sorry, I should have specified I have a c67 and was thinking of upgrading to coil covers to improve my ride and possible autocrossing in the future.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:33 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by zblackz06
When a coilover setup is properly designed there are no issues with damage to the shock tower... other coilover makers have proven that to be the case. You will NOT see any damage to your car. We've sold over 500 sets of coilovers for Vettes and have never seen shock tower damage or failure from any of the brands we sell which includes LG & Aldan American.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 10-02-2017, 02:43 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomswheels
My 2nd event with the Aldan American Coilovers I turned the front compression and rear rebound up two clicks. I noticed on the 90 mile ride to this Hotchkis NMCA Autocross the ride was definitely firmer, but still much more comfortable than the previous Koni Yellow / Leaf Spring combo. The Car seemed even more settled and felt more controlled under hard braking with the Aldans on this slightly firmer setting. Some Optima level competition in the 70 Cars ran that Saturday included Greg Thurmond's Vette, Jake Rozelle in his C5, and this time the 3100lb C5Z beat that same LS3 2400lb Starion on its last lap, I won Fastest Time of Day for the first time ever.
Congratulations and Thanks for posting. This is very interesting data.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:25 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

God I wish this setup existed when I was buying my HSD coilovers (very unhappy with this setup personally, so bouncy, unstable...)
Old 10-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

So the Rival S I’ve been using all year (80+ runs and one LONG drive back from Lincoln) are at the end of their life. I flipped them backwards and headed out to our local Qualcomm stadium Autocross. The Aldans again performed admirably, Fastest Street Tire lap of the day, 7th in PAX (with the unfriendly CAM-S PAX) out of 150. I’ve been leaving the Aldan American Coil Overs two clicks firmer than Factory the last couple times out, it’s a nice combination of stiff for track but not too stiff on the ride back and forth.
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2017, 01:09 PM
01badvette
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Last regional Solo of the year on 100+ run burnt RE71Rs

Last regional Solo of the year on 100+ run burnt RE71Rs

Tom,
I have been running my Aldans on the same settings about two clicks stiffer the factory setting and have been doing great on them. My last event on my 275/18's heavily worn 100+ runs RE71R's and still dominated CAM by +3 seconds over the next competitor and top 20 in Pax out of 70+ competitors. Next year on 315/30s I'm hoping to climb the PAX board what I can and compete at a couple Optima OUSCI events along with TireRack Solo Events.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:15 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Still waiting to see you up north at one of our AAS events. A couple of us are going to try and make it down for Camarillo in December. That all depends on if I get my control arms back, installed and aligned in time.
The following users liked this post:
Tomswheels (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01badvette

Tom,
I have been running my Aldans on the same settings about two clicks stiffer the factory setting and have been doing great on them. My last event on my 275/18's heavily worn 100+ runs RE71R's and still dominated CAM by +3 seconds over the next competitor and top 20 in Pax out of 70+ competitors. Next year on 315/30s I'm hoping to climb the PAX board what I can and compete at a couple Optima OUSCI events along with TireRack Solo Events.
Sweet! Let me know what you think of the Rival vs the Stones
Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

(with the unfriendly CAM-S PAX)
I'm sorry, but what? You only have to go .501 faster on a 60 second course than my STU car to run the same index time. You have unlimited power, whatever chassis mods you want, 100-150lbs less weight available (the 3 STU C5s were 3060-3085 at Nationals, but will probably get lighter over the winter), and unlimited tire. Your PAX is anything but unfriendly...
Old 10-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Matt that’s just it, the PAX is fine for a highly modified car. My Vette has stock engine, stock trans, stock rear end, stock rubber bushings etc. With the exception of Dads spoiler, the Coilovers, and rear Wheels. If I changed those it’s an AS car.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:09 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Matt that’s just it, the PAX is fine for a highly modified car. My Vette has stock engine, stock trans, stock rear end, stock rubber bushings etc. With the exception of Dads spoiler, the Coilovers, and rear Wheels. If I changed those it’s an AS car.
We were 2 places away from each other at Nationals on index (I was carrying a cone from day 1), and my car is also stock power, stock trans (you don't need to touch your trans in CAM), stock rear end (you also don't need to touch this in CAM), and stock rubber bushings. I may have a little more wheel width (11s square) but I'm probably on smaller tires (275s) and have leaf springs. I have less power and longer gears, and I think my index is pretty close. With my codriver in the car, it was 399 on index. Your index isn't the issue...

For reference, the car that won CAM-S (was 300 on index) has stock bushings, stock trans, stock gears, leaf springs, 11s front/12s rear, and some extra power.

.838 is appropriate for lightly prepped CAM-S cars. It's way under what it should be for a limit car...
Old 10-18-2017, 10:14 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Question

So getting back to the coil overs has anyone run these as a HPDE or TT road race shock? how well do the hold up? do they fade over 20-30 min?
I have tried another manufacturers alum body double adj shock non coil over and they started out good, but faded to useless in 5-10 minutes of hard running.

I am getting ready to change shocks my GM T1's are just about done
and GM has discontinued the shocks.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:17 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah I hope their durability is good.... I am in Canada... our roads are garbage... the HSD I am not happy with.... bouncy.... only one year of use... were bouncy from the get go.. so sad.....

I wonder if anyone will import these to canada.... it sucks being up north here... our dollar is crap.... and i wish this existed two years ago.... i wish i knew....

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers

Old 10-18-2017, 04:04 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

I’m hoping to get a good track day in when the weather cools.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:16 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by 555ss
So getting back to the coil overs has anyone run these as a HPDE or TT road race shock? how well do the hold up? do they fade over 20-30 min?
I have tried another manufacturers alum body double adj shock non coil over and they started out good, but faded to useless in 5-10 minutes of hard running.

I am getting ready to change shocks my GM T1's are just about done
and GM has discontinued the shocks.
Just curious, what track are you running on?

I've heard of shocks fading on Jeeps and Trucks when guys go 4-wheeling but can't ever recall seeing anyone mention it here. It takes a heck of a lot to heat up a shock enough on a road course during a 20 minute session for it to fade.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:01 AM
Dropspeed
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Question for the OP. Did you find and purchases these for full retail?

The complete post is written like someone received a product for a discount or free as long as they review it online.

Skeptical as I use to "beta" test and write this type of stuff for a period of time. 10+ years ago when I worked in the performance industry.

Matt

Quick Reply: Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers