Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Dropspeed
Question for the OP. Did you find and purchases these for full retail?

The complete post is written like someone received a product for a discount or free as long as they review it online.

Skeptical as I use to "beta" test and write this type of stuff for a period of time. 10+ years ago when I worked in the performance industry.

Matt
Matt,

OP actually bought the kit from me and didn’t receive any sponsorship or discount for the product he purchased from me
The following users liked this post:
Dropspeed (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:24 AM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

For the record: Tom is as good and honest a guy as you will meet in this hobby.

Period.
The following 3 users liked this post by flash911:
01badvette (10-19-2017), Dropspeed (10-19-2017), Tomswheels (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Dropspeed
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TPSMak
Matt,

OP actually bought the kit from me and didn’t receive any sponsorship or discount for the product he purchased from me

Originally Posted by flash911
For the record: Tom is as good and honest a guy as you will meet in this hobby.

Period.
Thanks for the replies as that is good enough for me!

As mentioned, I worked in the performance aftermarket for 10 years in a role that I had relationships with 75+ companies prior to moving to the OEM side of the world. The stories I could tell you about claims, misrepresentation (lies) and deceitful behavior has (unfortunately) made me a skeptic when products appear at a reasonable cost and actual perform the way they should.

I am glad these are working as claimed and will seriously consider these in place of the LGs I have been planning on picking up this winter.

Thank you,
Matt

Last edited by Dropspeed; 10-19-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:56 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks Ron, it’s always a pleasure racing you!

I’m not 100% sure what could be mis-represented, the race results are the results.

The subjective part of my review is how well the Aldan Coilovers ride. Maybe people don’t believe an American company is capable of producing a quality product at a low price point, but they seem to have done a nice job here.

I introduced myself to the owner of Aldan, Garrett, because he was at the V8builds Autocross and I thought he might like to know how much I was enjoying setting TTOD on his product. He never asked me for anything other than to keep him advised on what he could do to help make the product better.

Last edited by Tomswheels; 10-19-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:07 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Just curious, what track are you running on?

I've heard of shocks fading on Jeeps and Trucks when guys go 4-wheeling but can't ever recall seeing anyone mention it here. It takes a heck of a lot to heat up a shock enough on a road course during a 20 minute session for it to fade.
Sorry I missed this yesterday.
NHMS south oval and Chicane/Chicane. we run all around New england but this testing was at NHMS, I beat the car pretty hard and have run 2.02.49 at WGI long course with a stock engine.. I have run this C5Z for 8 - 9 years so I know how it handles.
I put the OTHER MANUFACTURERS shocks on it and 4-5 laps in the back was loose and bouncing and bottoming out, came in and got in trunk jumped up and down, car had almost 0 dampening. sent shocks back they tested refilled and we tried it again same issue also tried using a softer and harder setting this only moved the fade +/- alap or so. Pulled the shocks at the track and put on used bilsteins and it was way better. They finally refunded the $. the shocks were hot to the touch but not really crazy hot. But when cold jump in the trunk they were tight full dampening. This OTHER shock Co. makes a pretty good drag shock I use them in the front of my SS but as a R/R shock they sucked and when asked they said they should be fine.
I went to the T1 shock and have a bunch of fastest laps of the day my issue now is the T1's are getting tired and I really don't want to spend the $ for penske's.

Last edited by 555ss; 11-02-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:20 AM
jumpmanmb87
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Anymore experience's? or only three people run these coils?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:31 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by jumpmanmb87
Anymore experience's? or only three people run these coils?
Send me a Email to Mikem@TPSMotorsports.com and I can send you some references of our customers who have used them. Most of our customers DON'T go onto forums much. We are Aldan's largest reseller and can take care of you
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 11-02-2017, 12:41 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 555ss
Sorry I missed this yesterday.
NHMS south oval and Chicane/Chicane. we run all around New england but this testing was at NHMS, I beat the car pretty hard and have run 2.02.49 at WGI long course with a stock engine.. I have run this C5Z for 8 - 9 years so I know how it handles.
I put the OTHER MANUFACTURERS shocks on it and 4-5 laps in the back was loose and bouncing and bottoming out, came in and got in trunk jumped up and down, car had almost 0 dampening. sent shocks back they tested refilled and we tried it again same issue also tried using a softer and harder setting this only moved the fade +/- alap or so. Pulled the shocks at the track and put on used bilsteins and it was way better. They finally refunded the $. the shocks were hot to the touch but not really crazy hot. But when cold jump in the trunk they were tight full dampening. This OTHER shock Co. makes a pretty good drag shock I use them in the front of my SS but as a R/R shock they sucked and when asked they said they should be fine.
I went to the T1 shock and have a bunch of fastest laps of the day my issue now is the T1's are getting tired and I really don't want to spend the $ for penske's.

I would give the Aldan's a try... you won't be disappointed. The units you had, QA1, are NOT the same shock as the Aldan's... we've had nothing but great reviews from customers about them. Give them a try and you'll be VERY happy with them
Old 11-06-2017, 02:35 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Just to confirm...

Looks like adjusting the compression (F) and rebound (R) requires the wheels be pulled? Not a big deal, just checking.

Would also like the thoughts of going with 550lb (F) / 600lb (R) setup. Specifically, I use the car as a semi-daily driver so although ride is subjective, just how "stiff" would this be vs the stock leafs? Subjectively is it a 20% firmer ride or a 50% firmer ride or ? Digging through some old threads, it looks like the wheel rate will be substantially higher than stock.

Having said the above, on my '96 I had double adjustable Koni shocks and changing shock settings led to quite a difference in ride.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:54 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Just to confirm...

Looks like adjusting the compression (F) and rebound (R) requires the wheels be pulled? Not a big deal, just checking.

Would also like the thoughts of going with 550lb (F) / 600lb (R) setup. Specifically, I use the car as a semi-daily driver so although ride is subjective, just how "stiff" would this be vs the stock leafs? Subjectively is it a 20% firmer ride or a 50% firmer ride or ? Digging through some old threads, it looks like the wheel rate will be substantially higher than stock.

Having said the above, on my '96 I had double adjustable Koni shocks and changing shock settings led to quite a difference in ride.

You can adjust both front and rear with the wheels on the car, but it helps to at least Jack it up in the rear so I can fit my arm between top of tire and fender.

I’m coming from Koni Yellows to the Aldan Coil Overs and the ride is hugely improved in the stock stiffness settings with the 600/550lb setup I run. You can soften them more and make it even more luxurious but I haven’t tried that. There is no way my 77yo Dad would have made it from Lincoln NE to San Diego on those Konis, no matter what setting they were on. That is the biggest benefit I see from the Aldans, the ability to go fast and ride nice, compared to any racy leaf/shock setup.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:18 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Tomswheels
You can adjust both front and rear with the wheels on the car, but it helps to at least Jack it up in the rear so I can fit my arm between top of tire and fender.

I’m coming from Koni Yellows to the Aldan Coil Overs and the ride is hugely improved in the stock stiffness settings with the 600/550lb setup I run. You can soften them more and make it even more luxurious but I haven’t tried that. There is no way my 77yo Dad would have made it from Lincoln NE to San Diego on those Konis, no matter what setting they were on. That is the biggest benefit I see from the Aldans, the ability to go fast and ride nice, compared to any racy leaf/shock setup.
Thanks Tom!

Two more quick questions....How is the ride height adjusted and can that adjustment be performed without needing to remove the shocks? I'm assuming the more I would compress the spring, the higher the ride height.

I've never had coilovers before, so I'm trying to make sure I understand all the subtleties.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 11-09-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Thanks Tom!

Two more quick questions....How is the ride height adjusted and can that adjustment be performed without needing to remove the shocks? I'm assuming the more I would compress the spring, the higher the ride height.

I've never had coilovers before, so I'm trying to make sure I understand all the subtleties.

Jim they supply a wrench with the Coilovers that allow you to adjust height with them on the car. There are threads on the shock housing that allow the bottom of the spring to be moved about two inches. Technically you are not compressing the spring, just moving where on the shock it is positioned. I just did this last Sunday test fitting some 355/30/19 on back. Takes just a couple minutes.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:18 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Tom,
Did you corner weight your car? If so, did you do it or take it somewhere in LA that you can recommend? I can do the install but will need a shop to corner weight the car for me.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:07 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

any updates i know its winter lol
Old 03-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Perfect timing, just finished 1st event last weekend. The NMCA Nitto Autocross is a 4 race series held on the bigger lot at the Autoclub Speedway in Fontana this year, and there were some very fast cars there for the opener. Very few offseason changes for my 02 C5Z, still Stock drivetrain with Aldan American Coilovers and a larger Strano front bar. Upgraded to urethane control arm bushings this year. 315/335 Rival S. Finished 3rd Fastest (out of 80 cars) both days. Lost to Jake in his Lingenfelter sponsored C5Z and Jordan in his JDP development C7GS. Both those cars are much further from stock and have 200+ HP on me. I went soft on the setup for the Alden Americans this race because the track surface was slippery, and the car felt outstanding. The tire rack hanging off the end with no wheels didn’t really work as I’d hoped....
Attached Images     
cpt11gs (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 01:33 PM
01badvette
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomswheels
Perfect timing, just finished 1st event last weekend. The NMCA Nitto Autocross is a 4 race series held on the bigger lot at the Autoclub Speedway in Fontana this year, and there were some very fast cars there for the opener. Very few offseason changes for my 02 C5Z, still Stock drivetrain with Aldan American Coilovers and a larger Strano front bar. Upgraded to urethane control arm bushings this year. 315/335 Rival S. Finished 3rd Fastest (out of 80 cars) both days. Lost to Jake in his Lingenfelter sponsored C5Z and Jordan in his JDP development C7GS. Both those cars are much further from stock and have 200+ HP on me. I went soft on the setup for the Alden Americans this race because the track surface was slippery, and the car felt outstanding. The tire rack hanging off the end with no wheels didn’t really work as I’d hoped....

Tom well done, that is a great start to the season and being able to hang with cars of that caliber is a testament to car and driver.
Tomswheels (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:37 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

do u have the shortened shocks? I saw on the site there is choice between shortened and non shortened

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers

Old 03-01-2018, 06:06 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

They sent me a pair of those to try and this was the first event on them. I didn’t really notice a difference, with the non-shortened Fronts adjusted as low as they would go, ride height was pretty low, about the same it’s at now. The difference now with the shortened versions is I’m not down at the bottom of the adjustment, so I could go lower if need be.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 AM
01badvette
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the shortened shocks and the ride height is pretty low. Depending on how much daily driver type use that you plan on you may want the normal shock body. This is a higher coil placement setting with the shorten shock body on 275/35/18 square setup. I would say around 2" lower then factory ride height but still has full shock travel.
The following 2 users liked this post by 01badvette:
a_ahmed (03-02-2018), Tomswheels (04-05-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:33 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

I'm going to dive and go for the short bodies, I'm up here in Canada, going to msg the vendor who msg'd me a while ago... looking forward to comparing this to the stock suspension to the coilovers I have on now (HSD - Personally not happy).

Quick Reply: Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers