Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:36 AM
01badvette
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
I'm going to dive and go for the short bodies, I'm up here in Canada, going to msg the vendor who msg'd me a while ago... looking forward to comparing this to the stock suspension to the coilovers I have on now (HSD - Personally not happy).

TPS Motorsports or Aldan American directly can both probly make you a very good deal on them.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:55 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm wondering on the spring rates, the street and track options... obviously that's obvious by terms, but everyone is different... going from HSD coilovers which were bouncy and blah... jarring... or the stock suspension which was very jarring and non-independent (with leaf springs i could feel the whole front or rear move over bumps).

I've also run more extreme and dedicated track setups... on other cars... but again it depends. The best shocks I ever ran were koni 8611 series... which were former touring car shocks and these worked great on street and track with high spring rates.. but again different car... I am an 'enthusiastic' driver street or track lol... but im worried how it'll be with the higher rates... I doubt its bouncy or too soft or too hard but just right... but I want some opinions, has anyone run either selection on the street?

500/550 is 'street', 550/650 is 'track' the stock offerings.

Last edited by a_ahmed; 03-12-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:09 PM
01badvette
Racer

I was on Z06 monosprings and DRM bilsteins before putting on the Aldan coil overs, I have the 550/650 "track" springs and on the street if I back the shocks down one or two clicks towards the softer side it rides better then the previous setup ever did. As far as the twitchiness or bounce you describe over bumps I feel your pain on the mono springs and bilsteins it was still very unsettling when being pushed close to the limit on any kind of rough surface. You will not have that with the Aldan coil overs I put around 1/8" toe in on my rear alignment and with the car corner weighted the rear is solidly planted on both corner entry, thru the corner and applying power out. I used to have a very numb kind of detached feeling from the rear end of the car mid corner, that is gone now. The Aldan greatly improved my autoX and track performance and its manners on the road but alignment, tires, and weight balances also play a huge roll.
The following users liked this post:
a_ahmed (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 12:11 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Thank you thats what i wanted to hear, yeah the car has been unstable in the rear since i went coilovers... very unhappy about that... i am not happy with the hsd coilovers, at least with the stock leafsprings, i was able to go 300 stable.. and it was low to the ground slammed on bolts... Since I went coilovers... never quite stable even under 200... horrible... Despite going for alignment a few times...

So you street your car too, I do too, and we have it bad here with our roads in the toronto region...

How many clicks of compression do u run in the front and how much rebound in the rear?

Last edited by a_ahmed; 03-12-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:20 PM
01badvette
Racer

Thank you thats what i wanted to hear, yeah the car has been unstable in the rear since i went coilovers... very unhappy about that... so you street your car too, I do too, and we have it bad here... how many clicks of compression do u run in the front and how much rebound in the rear?

I will drive the car sometimes 4 hours one way to different AutoX or track events and from the middle set points I will do one click softer on both front and back for daily or street driving. The car is still very planted but just takes the bumps much easier. Depending on the surface and temperature of the course or track I will increase the rebound and compression to allow the car to move more or less to "bite" harder.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:35 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I'm going to dive and go for the short bodies, I'm up here in Canada, going to msg the vendor who msg'd me a while ago... looking forward to comparing this to the stock suspension to the coilovers I have on now (HSD - Personally not happy).
I replied to your PM... let me know how I can help you
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 03-12-2018, 12:45 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Thanks Mike, I emailed you!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:26 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Excited to get mine, placing order tonight. Can't wait to replace my current setup.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:04 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

I know it is a long way off till August. Hopefully I can talk to someone at Carlise this year on these Coilovers that are running them on there car. I don’t track my 04 Z06. I just want to lower it some to close the gap but I don’t want to lower it with the stock bolts. But before I purchase these to put on my car I need some more info from someone using them. I would like to find someone that has them to go for a ride in the car to see what it feels like. To spend the money on these and not being happy with them and then go thru trying to sell them. Just like to make sure. This is on my mod list when I find out some more info.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:19 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker
I know it is a long way off till August. Hopefully I can talk to someone at Carlise this year on these Coilovers that are running them on there car. I don’t track my 04 Z06. I just want to lower it some to close the gap but I don’t want to lower it with the stock bolts. But before I purchase these to put on my car I need some more info from someone using them. I would like to find someone that has them to go for a ride in the car to see what it feels like. To spend the money on these and not being happy with them and then go thru trying to sell them. Just like to make sure. This is on my mod list when I find out some more info.
The great thing about these coilovers is "IF" you are NOT happy with them we will work with you to configure them to your liking. We can change the spring rates... the main thing we need from you is feedback on the type of driving you like, how you like your ride, how low you want it and do you plan on tracking the car. Once I have all those details I can help you with your setup

BTW, why wait till August... we offer 0% financing for Aldan American Coilvoers

Last edited by TPSMak; 03-19-2018 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:43 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I can tell you this much, when I turn the Aldans to the stock or 1 click softer position, my 2002 Z06 with stiff sidewall 200TW tires rides as nice as my Dads stock 2000 C5 with Stock Shocks and Street tires. If you add in the security you feel when you are in a turn and hit a bump, and the car doesn’t skip and jump over it, these are my favorite upgrade to any C5.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:57 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I'm wondering on the spring rates, the street and track options... obviously that's obvious by terms, but everyone is different... going from HSD coilovers which were bouncy and blah... jarring... or the stock suspension which was very jarring and non-independent (with leaf springs i could feel the whole front or rear move over bumps).

I've also run more extreme and dedicated track setups... on other cars... but again it depends. The best shocks I ever ran were koni 8611 series... which were former touring car shocks and these worked great on street and track with high spring rates.. but again different car... I am an 'enthusiastic' driver street or track lol... but im worried how it'll be with the higher rates... I doubt its bouncy or too soft or too hard but just right... but I want some opinions, has anyone run either selection on the street?

500/550 is 'street', 550/650 is 'track' the stock offerings.
I went the "street" route. I had three concerns...!) Ride since my GS is a semi-daily driver, 2) inducing too much over-steer with the stiffer rear springs, and 3) springs so stiff that the wheel(s) "skip" across rough pavement just prior to the apex.

LA roads are horrible and Willow Springs (my primary track) has a few areas mid-turn/on-line that will catch your attention with bumps. The "street" rates seemed to be the best fit given the above. I am after all just having fun. I'm not getting paid to drive so leaning more towards"street" seemed to make the most sense for me.

Hope to have mine installed in the next few weeks and on-track the end of April
Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 PM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

We just installed Aldans on our C6Z for autoX and have our test & tune and 1st event this weekend. We've been driving it and the shocks feel awesome! We also upgraded to poly bushings on all control arms and have poly Hinson motor mounts and still the car is very streetable with the stock settings.

My husband and I drive the car and we both agree we could easily go cross country in it and be comfortable. I can't wait to feel the difference this weekend...we did a huge CAM S build over the winter and the car feels great.

I also want to add that Mike at TPS is great to deal with!!! Aldan and Mike are a class act with the very best customer service!!! This is a quality product that was extremely easy to install. We did have to shave a little off of the sway bar corner to have the clearance we liked, but no biggee. We had Vi-King dual adjustable shocks before and we know the Aldans will add a whole new feel to the car.

We use what we feel are top of the line parts...MGW shifter, Vararam, American Racing Headers, Borla exhaust, Stoptech brakes, EBC pads, AHP Cam & heads etc., and we know there are much more costly options for coilovers, but after reading the reviews that in this post, we chose Aldans, and we are glad we did. I hope to report the same success the OP had!
Tomswheels (04-05-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:20 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tomswheels
I can tell you this much, when I turn the Aldans to the stock or 1 click softer position, my 2002 Z06 with stiff sidewall 200TW tires rides as nice as my Dads stock 2000 C5 with Stock Shocks and Street tires. If you add in the security you feel when you are in a turn and hit a bump, and the car doesn’t skip and jump over it, these are my favorite upgrade to any C5.
Thank you for the info and help. I have a lot of mods going on with my Z06 at this time. When I decide to buy these I might be checking in with you on some questions. Thanks again.
Tomswheels (04-05-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 09:36 AM
01badvette
Racer

I will be at the UMI AutoX and cruise in Clearfield PA. in August. Your more then welcome to take a ride with me on track or off to see what you think of them.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:28 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Originally Posted by 01badvette
I will be at the UMI AutoX and cruise in Clearfield PA. in August. Your more then welcome to take a ride with me on track or off to see what you think of them.
Thanks dude for the offer, I will keep it in mind.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:41 PM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

We installed two sets on C5's that were built for drifting and they have performed exceptionally well.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers

Old 03-20-2018, 10:11 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Awesome shot Marc!!! Thanks!!
Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Awesome shot Marc!!! Thanks!!
No problem. Heres the one i wanted to post but couldnt find it.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:54 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

That’s even better pic, Nice!!!

Quick Reply: Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers