Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers

Old 07-27-2018, 10:51 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Maybe I'm not following this correctly, but wouldn't putting stiffer springs on the rear increase oversteer??........which nets better turn in and by definition less understeer??

Just making sure I'm understanding what you guys are doing with the changes. I'm not sure if you mean a longer spring with the same spring rate or a stiffer spring when you say "adding more spring to the rear".
You're correct. I was multi-tasking and my fingers didn't follow my brain.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 07-27-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:43 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 692 Likes on 403 Posts

I’m always following up on the guys with Coilovers. And I’m still going to pass on these since I’m not familiar and don’t want to deal with getting them dialed in. I still think it should be much easier purchasing a set of Coilovers from some manufacturers that have them set up and no adjustments to them. You should be able to tell AldanAmerican how low you want your car and soft or firm you want it to be. Install them once and not going back in forth with adjusting them just to get them set up. This is just my opinion because this is something I would not touch to install them. It just seems everytime you read up on Coilovers guys are having issues with getting them set up. And then some guys put them on without any.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:33 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So, to the above members that chimed in but left no advice or solution..... may I ask your advice as well? From my vantage point, it seems like my car is too heavy for the springs I was sent. The weight of the rear almost seems like it's fully compressing the coils. I saved the paperwork from one of the corner balance & alignment jobs I had done to the car when I was running the Pfadt coilovers. Would knowing the corner weights of the car help determine if I need heavier rate coil springs? I did go over this with Mike at TPS during my ordering of the Aldans. But he said to try the standard springs 1st and that we could swap them if needed. Think I'm gonna snap some pics of the current height and of the coil springs compressed by the weight of the car. Email them to Aldan and follow up with a call to them to review the situation. See what they say. Sounds like they have good customer service so we shall see.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:43 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
So, to the above members that chimed in but left no advice or solution..... may I ask your advice as well? From my vantage point, it seems like my car is too heavy for the springs I was sent. The weight of the rear almost seems like it's fully compressing the coils. I saved the paperwork from one of the corner balance & alignment jobs I had done to the car when I was running the Pfadt coilovers. Would knowing the corner weights of the car help determine if I need heavier rate coil springs? I did go over this with Mike at TPS during my ordering of the Aldans. But he said to try the standard springs 1st and that we could swap them if needed. Think I'm gonna snap some pics of the current height and of the coil springs compressed by the weight of the car. Email them to Aldan and follow up with a call to them to review the situation. See what they say. Sounds like they have good customer service so we shall see.
Have to see the pics and how much the springs are compressed. Regardless, I think I'd call Aldan. Seems to me you'd have to have an extra 400-500lbs in the car to compress the springs that much. Look at it this way....if you weren't compressing the factory leafs with the added weight, why would a stiffer spring compress more? Wonder if you got the wrong springs...ie 200# springs vs 550#.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:21 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Regarding the rear springs, do you know what brand or model Aldan uses? IIRC, Eibachs and H&R physically label their springs with the part number which often has the spring rate in the part number. Is there a chance that Aldan sent the wrong springs and you're on a way too soft spring? Mis-matched springs has happened before on other brands so it is possible you have the wrong spring on the rear. Let us know if there is a part number printed on the actual spring. Good luck, it shouldn't be this hard to set up the car for basic ride height.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:47 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Before I call Aldan, does this look normal? Like I mentioned earlier, I am at over 1" of preload and rear is still way too low for street driving. Do the springs look too compressed or should I put even more preload on them? Seems like the coils will bottom out on themselves on a big bump.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:54 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Old 08-01-2018, 02:10 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Actually, just called and talked to them. Sounds like they are more than willing to work with me to find a solution. He suggested to first, get my proper wheels/tires on the car that I'm planning to run. Then figure out how much more height I'm gonna need. Then get back to them with the photos. He said the solution would be one of three options. In no particular order. Heavier rate coils, longer shock body, or a taller upper mount.
Sounds like they are a good company who is willing to help their customers. Now just need to scramble to get the wheels dealt with.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:13 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 08-01-2018, 02:15 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

This is on my c5... Rear still drives like crap... No shot bushings, wheel bearings spinning nicely. Swaybar endlinks not binding.. So.. Im all ears...
Old 08-01-2018, 02:20 PM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Rear uncompressed

Rear ride height

I'm using a touch more preload than the starting point listed on the directions. But that's my coils and ride height. Using their "track rate" coils.

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 08-01-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:29 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

My pics I posted today are with the weight of the car on the coils. That is what I was hoping to compare with others. To see if their coils are as compressed as mine are.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:45 PM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

My pics I posted today are with the weight of the car on the coils. That is what I was hoping to compare with others. To see if their coils are as compressed as mine are.
i'll try and get some pics of it when i get home.

Did you post any pics of your rear ride height? and is it a C5 or C6?
Old 08-01-2018, 03:00 PM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

Finally got my car back on the ground. Needed to do some work on my son's Lexus LS400 and the Vette was hogging up my jack stands. So tossed on the roller wheels I picked up a while back. I made no changes to the coilovers from how they got shipped to me. Other than having to pull one of the rears apart due to them forgetting to install a thrust bearing. I just matched it to the other good one. The car is super low in the rear and front is nice. But both will need to be raised in order to get around this town! Let alone in and out of my driveway.
So my question to you Aldan owners, whats the easiest way to adjust my ride height? I did get the thrust bearings so assume I can do it with the load on the springs???? Isn't that why we pay extra for the thrust bearings? I want to get the ride height as close to how I want it, then drive it to get the alignment and have them dial in the height further if needed. I take my car to Abel's Chevrolet for alignments and they are a ways away from me down some great river roads so the drive is wonderful and spirited if the car is drivable.
And any thoughts on initial damper settings?

nevermind i found the answers. holy crap that's low.

mine don't have the thrust bearings either which i believe they make it sit a little taller as well.

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 08-01-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:05 PM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

rear before

rear after

this is the clearance i ended up with. no thrust bearings.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:18 PM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

The following users liked this post:
IRON MAIDEN (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:21 PM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

I'm on 550/650 coils

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers

Old 08-02-2018, 03:16 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. Yeah, it's low! Hard to tell, but my coils may not be any worse than what yours are sitting at in terms of being compressed. Gotta fix my truck that my son wrecked, then will get my tires mounted/balanced and get back to the Vette. Not sure what the best option would be. 600lb rear coils, taller shock bodies, or a taller upper mount. See what they decide to do I guess.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Cesar@TPS
Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

If any one is looking for a great deal I have some complete coilover kits with just Blemishes. Does not affect performance or structure of the coil overs. Pm if interested.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:08 PM
Craiger77
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
This is on my c5... Rear still drives like crap... No shot bushings, wheel bearings spinning nicely. Swaybar endlinks not binding.. So.. Im all ears...
I didn't read every post, but most of them. You may want to try going back to start and swap back into a OEM leaf spring/shock setup to see if issues remain. I know you said everything else is good, but it could be something you're missing. Eliminating variables may help you to isolate it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers