Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE Success Story with Base C7 A8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:44 AM
mungodrums
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HPDE Success Story with Base C7 A8?

Who here has had a successful HPDE / DE day in their base C7 A8? No overheating? What did you do to make this possible? Are the advanced guys able to overheat it and no so much the novice / mid level drivers? Tell me your story and how you made this happen. Light mods only, no second radiator, etc. Ger.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:53 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I have done some research since I intend to race one if I can ever feel comfortable with all the C7 issues.

Here is what I got so far: Welcome to have other's fill in the blanks for correct me.

The A6 box is bullit-proof but only in 2014's
The A8 box has a higher failure rate. lots of forum complaints but the guys with no issue are probably driving not defending the A8.
2016+ A8's have the factory installed extra cooler in the Z51's. Don't wait for the A10 to be in the C7. It will not fit without a major chassis modification.
2014+ or base units you can install the cooler yourself about $1500 bucks
Nobody knows or is telling if the C7 base without drysump is as good as the old C5Z06 LS6 motor which did fine without the drysump until you started adding wings and splitter for increased G's in prolonged high G turns and are an SCCA National Runoffs level competitor. It was higher than stock RPM limits that killed the LS6 not the high G turns! That said everyone who tracks wants the C7Z51 with the factory drysump. The price difference Base to Z51 is big enough to warrant putting your own aftermarket drysump in. Problem is OEM stuff is usually better than aftermarket that has had little testing.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

I tried to track my wife's base. I added heat wrap to the entire exhaust that cradles the trans, added Z06 air ducts, removed two cats with a Borla X Pipe, and still overheated in 3 laps. This was a 65 degree day. I would highly suggest adding a rear sway bar and upgrading your brake pads. Your results may vary wildly depending on pace. I run at the pointy end of open passing and used to hold professional road racing licenses in the two wheel world. So I tend to find weak points quick.

Last edited by rb185afm; 08-25-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE Success Story with Base C7 A8?

Quick Reply: HPDE Success Story with Base C7 A8?