Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires look ok after 8-9 sessions?

Old 09-16-2017, 11:00 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Tires look ok after 8-9 sessions?

Just wanted to see if you all thought my tires look ok...I think they can easily do another 3-4 sessions (20-25 min)?

pads on the other hand (no wear sensor yet).... thanks!
Attached Images      
Old 09-16-2017, 09:29 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Look okay? Pads and inside of tires? I think that's clag on the inner side of the tire, not the tire peeling..
Old 09-17-2017, 10:20 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

ttt
Old 09-18-2017, 03:25 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I don't run those tires, but they look okay to me. The "clag" is an indicator you alignment is off.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:12 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Tires I have run have always gave up grip long before they wore out. From a wear standpoint, I agree with djnice, they have some life left.

The 1st pad looks just about done, maybe a session or 2 left. It is harder to tell on the 2nd pad given the angle but if it is as thick as the backing plate, you might get a full day out of them. I toss mine when they're down to 1/8th" (~3.2mm).
Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Tires I have run have always gave up grip long before they wore out. From a wear standpoint, I agree with djnice, they have some life left.

The 1st pad looks just about done, maybe a session or 2 left. It is harder to tell on the 2nd pad given the angle but if it is as thick as the backing plate, you might get a full day out of them. I toss mine when they're down to 1/8th" (~3.2mm).
I can definitely feel a lower amount of grip now than before.

I have a fairly new set of cup2's in my garage .. 500 miles on them,( no track days)... I can swap now and let them be in my cold garage all winter (northeast) or use these for 3 more session on my favorite track day of the year when I take a trek to VIR

I am replacing the pads front and back... not risking it..

would you swap tires now and let the tires be in the cold garage all winter? right now I was going to keep the tires in my warm basement all winter

1st world problems..
Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

If you had more negative camber you would get more wear out of them. If cup2s are not directional you can switch sides, if one is wearing more than the other. I wouldn't put new tires on for 3 more sessions and then have them in the cold all winter. I would just live with less grip, but I haven't had an issue where I couldn't tell I was loosing grip. I might change my mind if I spun and didn't see it coming.
The following users liked this post:
ShahulX (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 04:23 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahulX
I can definitely feel a lower amount of grip now than before.

I have a fairly new set of cup2's in my garage .. 500 miles on them,( no track days)... I can swap now and let them be in my cold garage all winter (northeast) or use these for 3 more session on my favorite track day of the year when I take a trek to VIR

I am replacing the pads front and back... not risking it..

would you swap tires now and let the tires be in the cold garage all winter? right now I was going to keep the tires in my warm basement all winter

1st world problems..
1st world problems call for 1st world solutions, i.e., you my friend need another set of wheels

Absent that, there is no way I would sacrifice lap times @ my fav track to save the tires from winter garage storage but that's me. I could just see putting down a good lap on bad tires and being mad as sh$! I didn't have fresh rubber that might have resulted in a new personal best. Essentially, it's just a personal choice. Most can still have a blast running less than all they got. I can't. If you can / are not out to lay down a PB each time out, run the old ones.
The following users liked this post:
ShahulX (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

man... so the question is... how will they be sitting in my garage all winter... I'll take them out once a week just to get a little heat in them and not flat spot... and keep battery up..

I am leaning towards running the old ones at VIR,, but I am a bit competitive so that may bug me... but you cant win a track day, just personal i guess

so torn!!!
Old 09-20-2017, 01:19 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Put the car on blocks and take them inside. Get a second set of rims. Lots of options. Like you say personal choice.

I would run them, but I run rain days just to learn to drive better. Running with less traction is good practice. When I raced bikes I often would use DOTs in the rain and go faster than people with rains. No one else is going to remember your fast lap time. Its between you and the asphalt. So what makes you happy...one best lap at one event or are you in it for the long run.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires look ok after 8-9 sessions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires look ok after 8-9 sessions?