Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:04 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,276 Likes on 794 Posts

Q1​​​
​​​​​​
Leclerc, gearbox change, 5 grid penalty. Max will be ok

Q2
Hamilton Bottas SS tyre
Ferrari US
Incredible Grosjean, Devil and Angel

Close combat, very very excitant Q3, for a long time RoGro was P4. V4and WHamilton did faults in their 1st run, Bottas 0

That was no laughing matter at the Red Bull box. Ricci blaming Max for not letting him enjoy his aspiration.

The NL BE, Dutchman Belgian refused to let his teammate pass in the second part of Q3 in order to win him a few precious km/h. We saw Ricci as if he had broken down, in fact he wanted to let Max pass, who refused!!! atmosphere!!

Last edited by BKorsaire; 06-30-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Ricci Max
Old 06-30-2018, 12:35 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

Breaking news

For me, it didn't matter, this incident between Sainz and Vettel, V4 bothered Sainz during Q2. But there was an investigation of the commissioners and V4 will be penalized by 3 places tomorrow!!!!

I think the Castellet critics about the 5 seconds penalty against V4 also played a role. Sainz was fair play because he told the commissioners that V4 had not seen him, which V4 confirmed! SAD I wanted to see a start of the 2 Silver Arrows in SS red tyres against the Ferraris and especially V4 in US purple at the start.

Another mistake by V4, the Italian press, which is like petrol when we talk about the Scuderia, is going to go wild against Vettel. This morning on the forum of La Gazetta dello Sport, a guy said without laughing that Vettel was a German spy!

So Grosjean is ahead V4 ! Mon Dieu ! (OMG) , what happens ?

Last edited by BKorsaire; 06-30-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: V4 Grosjean
Old 06-30-2018, 02:00 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Official grid FIA after decision no 29 by stewards Connelly (important, He was on GP de France last week and saw the incident between V4 and Bottas...), Warwick, Bellost, Jobst

Last edited by BKorsaire; 06-30-2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Decision FIA #29
Old 06-30-2018, 02:16 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
According to the latest gossip from the Austrian paddock, Charles Leclerc could well be running for Ferrari as early as next season. According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, generally well informed behind the scenes at the Scuderia, Marchionne, FCA CEO, would have confirmed her desire to promote Leclerc at Ferrari in 2019 instead of Räikkö. La Gazetta wrote yesterday that the officialization of the Scuderia line-up could take place in Hockenheim in July or more probably between the meetings of Spa and Monza at the end of August, especially Monza, Ferrari likes to make announcements at home, normal.

The Italian daily evokes a two-year contract, with a salary of 2 M€ in 2019 and 3 in 2020 as well as bonus results in addition.

Just wait and see...
I'm skeptical of these stories. I see another one now where LeClerc has signed a(nother) contract with Ferrari.

LeClerc already has a contract with Ferrari. He's paid by Ferrari now. He's "on loan" to Sauber. Sauber pays Ferrari for providing a driver (with their engines, too). If Ferrari wanted LeClerc in their car next week in Germany, they could tell Sauber to find another driver, they need their "loaner" back. Or they could probably swap Raikonen to Sauber to bring LeClerc to the Ferrari car and team.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

And that Grid penalty for Vettel, 3 spots doesn't sound like much, but when it puts him behind Grosjean, that's a major penalty. I predict some first lap damage to Vettel's car.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 06-30-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:29 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

I also saw this" smoky theory" as we say here about Raikko and Leclerc's inversions this season : Frédéric Vasseur team manager of Sauber denied it this morning. But for next year, why not because I value Raikko very much but again, at the decisive moment, he is not where we would like him to be.

Niki said this pm on Austrian TV that Hamilton and Bottas will be well at the Silver Arrows in 2019. Hope a sideral start from the first place of the grid, Bottas, as last year.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:08 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

My point was, LeClerc already has a contract with Ferrari to drive for them, or whoever they tell him to drive for. I think his current contract with Ferrari goes through 2020 or 2021. I just find it hard to believe that Ferrari would be renegotiating that contract with LeClerc and offering more money for a shorter deal. That sounds crazy to me. Since it's a "rumor" that's just floating around, I'd say it's probably false.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:27 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

You know, it's the Italian press, it's burning up really fast. But I agree with you, he is already a Ferrari driver (Ferrari Driver Academy), he is loaned to Sauber as Ocon is loaned to FI by Merco.

Personally, I think that because of the hardness of the Italian press, if Leclerc is in a Ferrari car next year, he will have to be strong mentally because it will want results quickly and La Gazetta and so on goes down in flames as fast as she takes you to the skies, a problem peculiar to Ferrari that we do not find elsewhere with this intensity.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:03 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
According to the latest gossip from the Austrian paddock, Charles Leclerc could well be running for Ferrari as early as next season....
As good a prospect as Leclerc appears to be, I'm not so sure drafting him into the Red Cars next season would be a good thing for him or Ferrari.
No doubt SV would play a lot of head-games with him and who knows how that would pan out?
Maybe a little too much, too fast for a young man?

IIRC, there was some mention during the Qualifying broadcast that Ferrari was talking to Haas about him.
IMO, they might be a better place for him at this point in his career.
Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
I predict some first lap damage to Vettel's car.
You can bet SV will be aggressive at the 1st corner trying to get past Grosjean.
Getting stuck behind him would be a real disaster for Vettel.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:14 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

McLaren being investigated by government.:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...investigation/
Bruce McLaren must be rolling over in his grave...

Renault's new "qualifying mode" didn't turn out to be much:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...th_shattering/
They just can't seem to close up to MB and Ferrari.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:30 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 07-01-2018, 12:45 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Ricci has no more a new SS tyre set.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:31 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Alonso will start from the pitlane : McLaren decided to change for the new MGU K, they judge take a penalty here is better than Silverstone.

Abiteboul still puts pressure on RBR through SAINZ, the manager finds that Ricciardo's decision and therefore Carlos' position takes too long and says to RBR he can not wait any longer. He has in his visor Ocon that Mercedes could lend to Renault considering the performances of FI and the line up already complete at Silver.

This is not utopian. You don't know the US that these 2 groups get along very well industrially: Renault supplies 3 and 4 cylinder petrol engines to Daimler (Merco's parent company) and in return Daimler supplies automatic gearboxes. There is also information sharing between them and soon Mercedes assembled in Renault factories. There is never any mention in F1 of this partnership but I say this to you to understand that their bosses get along very well and that there would not be, if need be, obstacle from Merco for Esteban towards Renault. Wolff is also a Francophile.

Question asked to Leclerc about Ferrari by French journalists,2 times, he had an enigmatic smile but it discusses between them, it is more than sure.

simulation tyre by Pirelli

Merco and Soda Makers start in SS, other just after in the 10 in US. New complete PU for Hartley to have a fresh package for the next races

Last edited by BKorsaire; 07-01-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:41 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Strategic mistake of Merco, non stopping Hamilton during the VSC caused by problem gearbox of Valterri.

Ricci out gearbox

incredible, no Merco under the final flag, Hamilton DNF. RoGro P4 ? Wow Fuel pressure loss for Ham and hydraulic gearbox loss for Bot

Today, it is not the most successful F1 team that wins but the most successful team. There will be doubts at Merco with this strategic management of the race and these mechanical problems .

V4 get again the lead of championship and Féfé the constructor

Last edited by BKorsaire; 07-01-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:28 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

The number of points lost by LH due to a complete strategic failure in the pit box has been staggering over his years at MB. This complete **** up could well cost LH the driver’s championship.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:34 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

it was not the first time and no lessons learned from that. Hamilton's record of 33 uninterrupted runs in points ends.

Come back on the DNF of Perez in Le Castelet : it was the first problem with the new PU Merco Spec "2.1" and Silverstone is just in less than a week now. Herr Dieter Zetsche won't be happy tonight ! He will call to Toto...
Old 07-01-2018, 12:43 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Wow, a good race with a lot of potential outcomes.

Congrats to Haas......I hope they can build on this momentum!!
Old 07-01-2018, 01:00 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by thebishman
The number of points lost by LH due to a complete strategic failure in the pit box has been staggering over his years at MB. This complete **** up could well cost LH the driver’s championship.
The call could have really cost Hamilton.
As it turned out, he had a failure on the car anyway.

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Congrats to Haas......I hope they can build on this momentum!!
ABSOLUTELY!

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 01:37 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Clever Max:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...an_Grand_Prix/

Old 07-01-2018, 03:00 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
The call could have really cost Hamilton.
As it turned out, he had a failure on the car anyway.

ABSOLUTELY!
The failure may well have resulted from the team telling him to ‘turn up’ the engine to try and get back close to Vettel. We’ll never know of course but I bet it’s 50/50 that had he been able to stay in front he wouldn’t have had to stress the engine as much.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:58 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by thebishman

The failure may well have resulted from the team telling him to ‘turn up’ the engine to try and get back close to Vettel. We’ll never know of course but I bet it’s 50/50 that had he been able to stay in front he wouldn’t have had to stress the engine as much.
Good point.