Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 02:13 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

OK, he didn't look THAT f*cked up.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:33 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
FIA changes penalties:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/...participation/
I hope this works.
IMO they worked really hard at solving a very minor problem. Kinda like saving FIA's social image by getting rid of grid girls.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-08-2018, 05:07 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
OK, he didn't look THAT f*cked up.
He wasn't feelin' no pain...that's for sure.

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
IMO they worked really hard at solving a very minor problem.
Maybe so, but every little bit helps.

Last edited by sunsalem; 12-08-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:10 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Maybe so, but every little bit helps.
I guess so, but I'd much rather see the stupid PU limits done away with. I have no problem with penalties if you swap PU components after the cars go into Parc Ferme, but otherwise just let them race. It's not like it's saving any money, and F1 has never found any way to save money in any case.

Have a good one,
Mike
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (12-09-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:54 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

More of Kimi feeling no pain:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...oves_the_fans/

Williams should have listened to the drivers earlier:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...o_the_drivers/

Pirelli confirms compounds for first 4 races:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ng_four_races/
Old 12-10-2018, 02:58 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Pirelli confirms compounds for first 4 races:
So, if I read that right, Pirelli is bringing TWO compounds for 3 ranges of tire? Or are there five different compounds for each of the 3 ranges?

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 12-10-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:51 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

[QUOTE=sunsalem;1598476065]More of Kimi feeling no pain:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...oves_the_fans/

OK, he looks pretty f*cked up there!

Old 12-11-2018, 10:35 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

So, if I read that right, Pirelli is bringing TWO compounds for 3 ranges of tire? Or are there five different compounds for each of the 3 ranges?
LOL, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:50 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Apparently, Kimi was no more worse for wear the next day:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...un_at_a_party/
I gotta wonder how Mrs. Raikkonen felt...

Bottas to make his rally debut:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...Lapland_Rally/
I guess he isn't aware of another F1 driver (Kubica) who tried this too.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:53 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

LOL, your guess is as good as mine.
It looks like the Medium and Hard compounds will be the same? I'm confused. My understanding was that they'd bring C1, C2, C3 to a track, or C2, C3, C4 and whatever the hardest compound is for the weekend would be called "hard". Same for soft, and whatever is left is the "medium". I'd love it if they picked the race tire(s), probably in the C2-C4 range, then brought C5 everywhere, even if they won't last a full lap. Merc had that issue multiple times where the ideal quali tires wouldn't last the full lap on their car, but I'd love to see the challenge for the teams that want to run into Q3 run the quali tires in Q2, then have to immediately pit, but then could go to the end on the hardest compound. Faster cars could run harder compounds in Q2 and run more than 1 lap in the race. My ideal would be the hardest spec tire at each race can run the entire race distance without falling off, but it's slow. The medium compound could run just under half distance if pushed, but just over if babied. And the quali tire wouldn't last more than 1-2 laps. Ditch the "must run 2 compounds rule" and let the teams pick how to manage the tires.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:51 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 12-12-2018, 02:47 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by mattastick
It looks like the Medium and Hard compounds will be the same? I'm confused. My understanding was that they'd bring C1, C2, C3 to a track, or C2, C3, C4 and whatever the hardest compound is for the weekend would be called "hard". Same for soft, and whatever is left is the "medium". I'd love it if they picked the race tire(s), probably in the C2-C4 range, then brought C5 everywhere, even if they won't last a full lap. Merc had that issue multiple times where the ideal quali tires wouldn't last the full lap on their car, but I'd love to see the challenge for the teams that want to run into Q3 run the quali tires in Q2, then have to immediately pit, but then could go to the end on the hardest compound. Faster cars could run harder compounds in Q2 and run more than 1 lap in the race. My ideal would be the hardest spec tire at each race can run the entire race distance without falling off, but it's slow. The medium compound could run just under half distance if pushed, but just over if babied. And the quali tire wouldn't last more than 1-2 laps. Ditch the "must run 2 compounds rule" and let the teams pick how to manage the tires.
Maybe this is more clear:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/...019-f1-season/

Old 12-12-2018, 07:43 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mattastick
Ditch the "must run 2 compounds rule" and let the teams pick how to manage the tires.
That rule was created, IIRC, to force the teams to make at least one pit stop during the race. Pirelli should have enough data now to make that rule moot, by choosing compounds that won't make it through the race. But I think that was the origin of the rule.

So the original graphic that we saw was wrong; this makes much more sense.

What I find interesting is at the end of the article for 2021: 18" wheels, no tire warmers, and an attempt to create an environment with at least 2 stops to win the race. I think the 18" wheels will have more of an impact than may first meet the eye, since the 13" wheels they currently use make the tires much more effective at tuning the suspension.

On a different note, M. Korsaire, I hope things are going well for you; troubling news coming from your homeland.

Have a good one,
Mike
BKorsaire (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 08:59 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

That rule was created, IIRC, to force the teams to make at least one pit stop during the race. Pirelli should have enough data now to make that rule moot, by choosing compounds that won't make it through the race. But I think that was the origin of the rule.

So the original graphic that we saw was wrong; this makes much more sense.

What I find interesting is at the end of the article for 2021: 18" wheels, no tire warmers, and an attempt to create an environment with at least 2 stops to win the race. I think the 18" wheels will have more of an impact than may first meet the eye, since the 13" wheels they currently use make the tires much more effective at tuning the suspension.

On a different note, M. Korsaire, I hope things are going well for you; troubling news coming from your homeland.

Have a good one,
Mike
Right. The compounds they brought would mostly last a race, so they didn't want teams to take advantage of that. The issue I have is the lack of spread between compounds. The announcers always claim .5-.75 seconds per compound jump. I'd love to see 1-2 seconds between each tire. Cars could now pass each other because of mechanical grip differences alone, and we wouldn't be reliant on DRS as much. It would be very much a tortoise/hare type race, which should lead to on track passing.
VetteDrmr (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 03:55 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

https://jalopnik.com/heres-a-close-l...100-1831040590
Old 12-13-2018, 02:00 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,270 Likes on 791 Posts

Have a good one,
Mike
thank you for your attention for me, I'm very touched, Mike. I am not in good health, which is why my retirement was ordered faster than expected and my absence here. I go up the slope slowly towards the best for Xmas.

Indeed, here it is hot, especially in the big cities, Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Bordeaux, Avignon but at home a small town, the demonstrations of anger against the government of "le petit Macron" (or Micro...be) and its taxes are without violence. These riots are similar to your 1773 Boston Tea Party against UK parliament and le Roy George, where it was not tea but the drop of gasoline that overflowed the tank saturated with taxes of all kinds. I myself have been blocking roads with yellow vests, it goes well in general even if there have already been 5 deaths, the people understand and approve but I had to stop because I got sick. I do it even if I don't need it because I live comfortably but I have to think of others and stop these taxes and governments that act like money-hungry sovereigns, like Louis XVI, the only sovereign must be the People. In addition, we had an Islamist attack in Strasbourg, near the German border with 3 dead and 12 wounded. If you allow me to publish, otherwise if it is non-compliant, please LMK Sun, I shall delete it.

http://taranis.news/ Here a lot of vidéos about the riots, above all one RIOT "Oh CHAMPS ELYSEES",

I don't know if it possible to watch from USA because of law of restrictions.

If I come back to the subject of tyres, for us who love F1 the simplification about the readability of tyres is too simplistic for me, I preferred the old system because we knew exactly the compound. In 2019, for example, the red SuperSoft of Spa or Monza will not be the same compound in Hungary, despite the fact that the tire will be named red SuperSoft. The choice of tires imposed will be made by Pirelli only. The teams will of course know the compound dedicated to each track. For the time being, the teams are opposed to any change in the qualification procedures despite the FIA requests to change the Q2 and Q3.

I hope to meet you soon friends of the best F1 thread in the USA.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 12-13-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:54 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

I'm sorry to hear you are ill; hope you have a speedy recovery.

In the U.S., we rarely have violent protests against the American government, at least when compared to those in Europe.
The population of the U.S. has now exceeded 1/3 of a billion, yet large dangerous protests hardly happen.
It is odd, particularly when considering how tribal America has become.
We tend to be Talkers here, not Doers like Europeans.
As long as we have our ice cream and beer, we stay home.

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:02 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

I'm sorry to hear you are ill; hope you have a speedy recovery.

In the U.S., we rarely have violent protests against the American government, at least when compared to those in Europe.
The population of the U.S. has now exceeded 1/3 of a billion, yet large dangerous protests hardly happen.
It is odd, particularly when considering how tribal America has become.
We tend to be Talkers here, not Doers like Europeans.
As long as we have our ice cream and beer, we stay home.
We also don’t have $9/gallon gas!
Old 12-14-2018, 02:10 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by thebishman

We also don’t have $9/gallon gas!
True.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM
sunsalem
Race Director