Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Amazing quote in that article (paraphrased): "we'll practice 10-12 pit stops a day".

Are you kidding me? We stopped by Hendricks Motorsports 2 years ago, and they were practicing probably 12 pit stops per hour.

One more week!

Have a good one,
Mike
I'm glad someone else picked up on that. Watching Le Mans teams, they do 10-12 practice pit stops while they're setting up their pit area. At a minimum. And that doesn't even count the hundreds or more likely thousands that they do leading up. I'm pretty sure all that the Corvette racing team mechanics/tire changers do is practice swapping parts and pit stops, then crossfit, then more practice of swapping parts and pit stops. And it shows.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:14 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by mattastick
I'm glad someone else picked up on that. Watching Le Mans teams, they do 10-12 practice pit stops while they're setting up their pit area. At a minimum. And that doesn't even count the hundreds or more likely thousands that they do leading up. I'm pretty sure all that the Corvette racing team mechanics/tire changers do is practice swapping parts and pit stops, then crossfit, then more practice of swapping parts and pit stops. And it shows.

All that repetition is to create muscle memory:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory

To tell you the truth, I don't really know how often RB, MB, Ferrari practices their stops.
But I would bet dollars-to-donuts it's more than what Haas is talking about.

Last edited by sunsalem; 03-11-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:42 PM
mattastick
Racer

Originally Posted by sunsalem

All that repetition is to create muscle memory:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory

To tell you the truth, I don't really know how often RB, MB, Ferrari practices their stops.
But I would bet dollars-to-donuts it's more than what Haas is talking about.
For sure. Back in high school marching band/indoor drumline, they always told us that most people do things until they get them right. But the best do them until they can't get it wrong. That really stood out to me, and has stuck with me all these years.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (03-11-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 11:21 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 03-12-2019, 12:28 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
A dumb idea: a point for Fastest Lap
Originally Posted by D K
I think the point for fastest lap is a good idea.
I guess I'm neutral on the subject. It gives the back markers something to shoot for, but when the leader has a big enough lead to pit, come back out in the lead, AND set fastest lap, people will howl.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-12-2019, 02:13 PM
mattastick
Racer

I guess I'm neutral on the subject. It gives the back markers something to shoot for, but when the leader has a big enough lead to pit, come back out in the lead, AND set fastest lap, people will howl.

Have a good one,
Mike
Don't forget how many times Vettel when he was winning would push right at the end just to take fast lap without pitting... If there's enough pace in the car, the top guys might be able to turn up the engines a bit and go for it on the rubber they have. If they had extended this to say top 12 are eligible, I think it gets a lot more interesting. As the video mentions, I think whoever has a free pit stop at the end of the race and a decent set of tires left will be the one to take it. My assumption is that point will be going to 4th, 5th or 6th place in most races. It will be interesting to see if 11th-16th or so steal it just to keep a rival from getting that point, IE if there's a Haas or Renault or RPFI running in 14th, they're not likely to score a point, come in throw quali tires on, and go back out for the fast lap, just to prevent Merco or Ferrari or an actual championship rival from doing the same thing.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:32 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

And that's why I'm kinda neutral on the subject. I can see the lower tier teams using it to try to grab a point, and the top tier teams snagging it when they can.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-12-2019, 07:15 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

It's Bernie's fault:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._F1_promoters/
Of course it is.
Like I said before, Liberty didn't do its due diligence before signing on the bottom line.
Oh well, it's only $$$ and headaches...
Old 03-12-2019, 09:41 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mattastick
It will be interesting to see if 11th-16th or so steal it just to keep a rival from getting that point, IE if there's a Haas or Renault or RPFI running in 14th, they're not likely to score a point, come in throw quali tires on, and go back out for the fast lap, just to prevent Merco or Ferrari or an actual championship rival from doing the same thing.
Just read that only driver in the top 10 positions are eligible for the extra point.

https://racer.com/2019/03/12/formula...r-fastest-lap/

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-13-2019, 01:34 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Well, here we go with what we have all been waiting for.
This is the broadcast schedule of the WEC, IMSA, and F1 races this weekend:
http://www.tvracer.com/
Old 03-13-2019, 01:53 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Review of Netflix's Drive to Survive documentary:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...8217_any_good/

I can concur with the review...it's that good.
I have made it thru the first 8 episodes and all I can say is it is must-see-TV.
Every F1 junkie should take a look IMO.

The 4K video really shows off the circus.
Just as great as the video, the audio blows any broadcast before it away.
The 5.1 soundtrack reveals car sounds like never before.
If you have a good sound system, car crashes will make you jump...you can almost feel it.

Watching this series before the start of the new season is a great way to get your mind back in the game.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:29 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,275 Likes on 794 Posts

I'm divided on this last-minute surprise package type measure about the poleman's point, and I didn't think about the teams' support.

Why don't you reward the poleman ? Yes after all, but why limit this point to the top 10 ? If the poleman is a collision victim and finishes P11, it would be due to his lack of fighting spirit ?

Kangaroo shoey Land

This point will also be obtained by the pilot's team at the WDC manufacturer.

Finally, business is picking up, we have survived
on this F1 thread in no man's land, in the winter of F1 since Abu Dahbi 2018.

Where are we at ? More than ever, these tests looked like a big smoke screen, each hiding his game, even organizing his pseudo delay and catching up on this delay in week 2 like Merco. Only certainty at this stage, there is a tightening in the middle of the pack and Féfé, as last year, seems to have a slight advantage over the centaur Ham V Merco.

It will be very interesting to taste the cocktail Red Bull sake which is likely to be explosive with the bombers of the arrogant and expeditive verb Marko and his Dr Jekyll aka Crashta and Horner in case of failure of their engine manufacturer but the gearbox made by RB Tech has shown weaknesses during the tests. I'm waiting to see how long it will take for Max and Pierre who have known each other since karting to stop talking to each other, if Leclerc will try to oppose V4 directly, if Bottas raises his head so as not to leave his bucket to Ocon, see if Robert is still Kubi or has become another.

Already if Russell is ahead Robert, Kubi will be judged as a man of the past. Lando will have a real competitor on the other side of his box to permit to judge his level. Ferrari has been waiting for a title for more than 10 years, anything other than the WDC would be a new defeat with yet another crisis in the ''church of Maranello''.

Personally, I am waiting for the beginning of Mc, Renault's comeback, hoping to see Williams saved from the disaster.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:58 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
... why limit this point to the top 10 ?
I agree. If you're going to award a point for fastest lap, everyone in the field should be eligible.

Only certainty at this stage, there is a tightening in the middle of the pack and Féfé, as last year, seems to have a slight advantage over the centaur Ham V Merco.
Yes, the mid-pack competition this year has the promise to be outstanding. Execution in the pits may very well become the biggest difference.

I'm waiting to see how long it will take for Max and Pierre who have known each other since karting to stop talking to each other,
At the track, probably won't take long at all. Away from the track I hope that most of the drivers have at least decent relationships between each other.

...if Russell is ahead Robert, Kubi will be judged as a man of the past.
As good a story Kubica's return is, remember he's coming back to Williams, which I'm afraid is just about dead. IMO his story already has about the brightest ending it could have. Run one season (or less if Williams folds), bow to the crowd, and move on.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-13-2019, 09:35 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing a point awarded for fastest lap.
As far as one for pole position... They're *****-out already, so it won't encourage any better drives. Starting on pole in F1 is already a prize!
Can hardly wait for Australia.
Last week's Indy car race was boring, but damn, at least it was something...
Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 AM
mattastick
Racer

Just read that only driver in the top 10 positions are eligible for the extra point.

https://racer.com/2019/03/12/formula...r-fastest-lap/

Have a good one,
Mike
Here's the important part: "but if the fastest lap is set by a driver outside the top 10, then no point will be awarded." So if someone outside the top 10 gets fastest lap, then nobody gets the point. So if 8th place and 14th are competing against each other in the Constructors championship, and 8th has a free pit stop, comes in and throws soft tires on, 14th should do the same to try and take fast lap from them so they don't score that point. If 8th place car gets fast lap, they score the point. If 14th does, nobody gets the bonus point. So if you have 1 car in the points, and 1 with no chance, you're better off going for the "block" of the point with your hurt car, just to prevent your midfield competitors from getting that point.

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
Where are we at ?
I think the most interesting inter-team battle is Renault. I've seen a lot of people posting (not here) discrediting the Hulk. He now has a race winning teammate in identical hardware, and they seemed close in pre-season testing. Whoever ran in the afternoon was faster when they were going for fast laps, and when they were running long runs early in the test, they were basically identical. If Hulk can run with Ricci, I think that cements my belief that he should have had a better car all along.
VetteDrmr (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 11:33 AM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi guys.

We are almost here!!!

I thought about something - lets do a qualy (and then a race) prediction??

It's going to be a wag at this point, but whats there to lose?

I'll go first.

This is my qualifying prediction before any penalties are applied:

1. Lewis
2. Leclerc
3. Vettel
4. Bottas
5. Max
6. Kimi
7. Ricciardo
8. Gasly
9. Giovinazzi
10. Hulk
11. Romain
12. Norris
13. Sainz
14. Kyviat
15. Albon
16. Perez
17. Magnussen
18. Stroll
19. Russell
20. Kubica

Whoever gets the most rght gets free beer if we run into eachother!

Enjoy!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:59 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:07 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

And last, but not least:

Old 03-13-2019, 01:19 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by D K
Hi guys.

We are almost here!!!

I thought about something - lets do a qualy (and then a race) prediction??

It's going to be a wag at this point, but whats there to lose?

I'll go first.

This is my qualifying prediction before any penalties are applied:

1. Lewis
2. Leclerc
3. Vettel
4. Bottas
5. Max
6. Kimi
7. Ricciardo
8. Gasly
9. Giovinazzi
10. Hulk
11. Romain
12. Norris
13. Sainz
14. Kyviat
15. Albon
16. Perez
17. Magnussen
18. Stroll
19. Russell
20. Kubica

Whoever gets the most rght gets free beer if we run into eachother!

Enjoy!
Heck, I'll give it a shot:

1. Vettel
2. Hamilton
3. Bottas
4. LeClerc
5. Ricciardo
6. Raikonnen
7. Grosjean
8. Magnussen
9-18 I have no idea!
19. Russell
20. Kubica

It's finally, FINALLY, here!

Have a good one,
Mike
D K (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 03:51 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,275 Likes on 794 Posts

Eh, Mike, almost like you... but

1. Vettel Féfé
2. Hamilton Merco
3. Bottas Merco
4. Le Clerc Féfé
5 Maxoo Can of Austria
6 Ricci Renault
7 Räikkö Alfa Biscione Sauber
8 Hulk Renault
9 Gasly Can of Austria
10 Grosjean Haas
11 KMag Haas
12 Carlito Mc
13 Norris Mc
14 Kvyatt Dual Can
15 Giovi Alfa Biscione Sauber
16 Perez RP19
17 Stroll RP19
18 Albon Dual Can
19. Russell Williams
20. Kubi Williams
The following 2 users liked this post by BKorsaire:
D K (03-13-2019), VetteDrmr (03-13-2019)