Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 02:00 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Grosjean handed 3 grid spot penalty for blocking during qualifying
Old 03-30-2019, 02:51 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,276 Likes on 794 Posts

With these big wings in the back, you don't see the lights, you don't see a competitor coming if your staff doesn't say anything.

Vettel will have his case examined tonight because of slow driving on the circuit, without having disturbed a driver. He risks a sanction like Grosjean

Article 27.4 of the sports regulations states that "unless necessary, a car may never be driven slowly, erratically or in a manner that can be considered dangerous for other drivers or any other person".
Old 03-30-2019, 02:55 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Year after year the end of MB dominance is predicted....and year after year it turns out to have been a false alarm.
Like they say, "don't count your chickens before they hatch." ...

Do you think Merco will come back and pass in front of Féfé with his evolutions ?

I think that every Empire will fall one day or another and the W10 seems very conservative in its design, even the front fender is not innovative.

Maxoo and KMag side by side at the start : the price of carbon will rise to the NYSE
Old 03-30-2019, 04:33 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

LeClerc looks like the real deal. Vettel will be crying like a river to management to keep LeClerc behind him during most races.

As for MB: we all thought Ferrari was the bees knees last year and within a couple of races MB got their act together.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:35 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by BKorsaire

Maxoo and KMag side by side at the start : the price of carbon will rise to the NYSE
Oh boy...in Bahrain, that's just asking for trouble.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:05 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

No action against V4. He explained that because of these damaged tires, lock up, he could not go any faster because of the vibrations, which was true.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:04 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I wish they will have extra cameras on max and mag
Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

I understand RoGro, he believes he would never have blocked Lando if V4 had respected a tacit agreement that had been agreed between all Formula 1 drivers.

"I think it was Vettel who caused this situation. He didn't respect the tacit agreement we all agreed to, which was never to overtake a competitor just before the last qualifying corner," explains RoGro.

"He broke that rule, however. He went up the line of cars, and he passed me just before the last bend. As I was about to start a fast lap myself, I had to slow down to build a gap of three to four seconds with him." From F1i Auto-Moto. Lando insisted on defending RoGro, considering that the fault was V4 and not RoGro.

If V4 doesn't keep his word to the GPDA, then what will it be like in Sakhir's T1? Remember melbourne, a light contact between the 2 Féfé. for me, V4 is already under pressure, as evidenced by his mistakes in Q. In his pitlane exit, V4 has overtaked 4 cars
Facebook Post

Ricci wins a place and will be 10th on the grid. Hülk had an engine mapping problem, with the safety mode engaged, in its last two fast laps.

I see this race more as a question of tyre degradation and life span than pure rhythm: the freshness will increase as the race progresses and the C3 red tyres will be efficient and durable so a 2nd stop with 1 second per lap between the C2 and C3 compound can be tried and even more for the bonus of the best lap. Ham V is the only one of the top teams to still have a new C3 set.

Ferrari now has the two youngest cars in F1 history in its ranks! Sorry, Maxoo and sorry for you Cyclopus Markus, this record escapes the cans for good!

A lot of wind for the race.

Pirelli's strategy estimation

A Greek tragedy, what a race. ERS problem for Leclerc. And for the end no rear break, mechanical problem, double abandonment at the same time exactly for Renault, strange, very. SC. Fired Bitboule plz...what sadness for all fans of F1. Whatever your preference , a mental disaster for Leclerc

Is it because of the sand? All the odd left line slipped, except Sainz. V4 equal to himself, too throttle

Bobo leads the WDC because of his best lap of Melbourne, this point is and xill be important this season

Last edited by BKorsaire; 03-31-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:19 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

What an incredibly heartbreaking and sad result.

I was so happy for Charles and I predicted him to really shine here.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:26 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

All F1 fans are sad this pm. But reliability is the problem in 2 teams since Barcelona testings : Féfé and Renault and for this 2nd race, we can see this.

The tyre damage of V4 after his slide causing this spectacular and amazing pic, the new wide front wing exploding under the vibrations, a nice wallpaper.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 03-31-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:32 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

A lucky win for Lewis; but you know what? Drivetrain issues are the nature of racing, and if Ferrari are pushing the limits of theirs in order to take the fight to MB, then things break.

I do feel bad for LeClerc as he was the best driver all weekend.

Another classic mistake from Vettel when under pressure. I doubt he ever sees that 5th title as he’s bottling it.

Bish
Old 03-31-2019, 04:33 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Sebastian Vettel takes blame for Bahrain spin, denies choking under pressure

Sebastian Vettel apologised to Ferrari for the incident which ultimately cost him at shot at winning the Bahrain Grand Prix.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Vettel spun on lap 38 of 57 while defending second position from Lewis Hamilton at the medium-speed Turn 4 corner, losing control of his car despite not making contact with the Mercedes driver. The spin damaged Vettel's tyres and the vibrations the car suffered meant his front wing tore off the car before he had made it back to the pit-lane.

Not only did it relegate Vettel down the order, but it also meant it was Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas who capitalised when Charles Leclerc's Ferrari engine suffered problems in the closing stages of the race. A contrite Vettel took full responsibility when it was all finished.

"OK, sorry guys, my mistake," he said on race radio. "I got surprised and lost the rear, then I couldn't catch it any more. Really sorry. And not sure about what I saw on TV, but I'm really sorry for Charles. Please tell Charles that he drove an excellent race, very strong and he should have won it"

Sebastian Vettel steers his car into the pit lane after losing his front wing during the Bahrain Grand Prix. ANDREJ ISAKOVIC/AFP/Getty Images

The spin will undoubtedly raise speculation about Vettel's mindset after what happened in 2018. Vettel squandered a golden opportunity for a fifth world championship last year with a series of high-profile mistakes, most notably crashing out of the lead of the German Grand Prix.

"To be honest, I don't think it has anything to do with pressure," he said after the race. "Obviously, when I was fighting with Lewis the target was to stay ahead and that was the ambition. I got surprised when I lost the rear that suddenly and then when I was in the spin it was already too late.

"Certainly I had a look at it again, certainly it was my mistake and I need to digest that our race could have been a bit better without that spin at that time, but nevertheless it was difficult race and there is plenty of homework on my side this weekend not having the feel for the car, especially yesterday and today, so we need to have a good look.

"From a team's point of view it was a good step forward from two weeks ago. Plenty of reason to look forward and generally I am looking forward. Certainly, I am not happy today and I won't be happy tonight, but I am quite happy to get in the car for Wednesday for the test and there is quite a lot of things I would like to try." Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto was quick to defend his driver.

"As Seb already said, it was a mistake and I don't think we should discuss about mistakes. We are always in the battle and in the fight, that is what we are doing and it is never easy. I think at the end it is something that can always happen. I think we need to encourage our drivers, because it is only by driving to the limit that they achieve the best result and that is what Seb was trying to do.

"As he said, there is some homework on the balance to improve, we are still learning about our car and we have some days of testing next week in Bahrain and that will be useful for the preparation ahead of China. So I think all good in that respect and we will keep focus on that and hope to improve."
Old 03-31-2019, 04:47 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 03-31-2019, 05:05 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Once again the same suspects at the top.

Leclerc's time will come...and soon.
He is showing exactly why Marchionne wanted him at the Scuderia this season.

Norris, again, put in a fine race.
Impressive rookie...so is Albon and Russell (at various times).

Gasly has got to get it together
He was > 50 sec. behind Max.

I hope Renault's drivers are paid a ton of $$$ for the grief of driving for the team.
RB didn't dump them on a lark.

It's obvious the Honda powerunit is a little shy of MB and Ferrari, but Max is able to threaten them.
If they can draw even with the other 2 manufacturers....
Old 03-31-2019, 05:17 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Yes, V4 is already under pressure. He will also have to get used to Leclerc's as well as Ham V's.

Hamilton, if you followed the FP, has always been beyond turn 4, he was already training for this manoeuvre that he did twice against V4 with skill: he kept a lot of speed and that's what surprised V4, he also wanted to keep the throttle but Ham V was outside and was able to widen while keeping speed, it was beautiful to see. In short, another beginner's mistake for V4 against Ham V. At Féfé's, they' re going to have to ask themselves questions.

The italian papers will be very angry against V4 and Féfé, for sure, I'll read.

At Renault, it is still the same problem that happened at Sainz in Melbourne, Saturday in Q at Hülk and still today in the race with P6 and 7 on the 2 Renault : activation of an engine safety switch. That's pathetic ! No more words because it's unacceptable.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 03-31-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:34 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Ricciardo won't be penalized for not putting wheel back. The electrical system failed and was told to jump out of the car and not touch it. Which explains why all of the track workers were putting on the thick insulated gloves before going near either Renault.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:53 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Was out of town for a wedding this weekend, just got a chance to watch qualifying and the race.

Qualifying went pretty well to expectations, although now I don't know what to think about Grosjean's explanation about running so slow. It does explain why he was on the racing line (wasn't expecting Vettel to pass), and I guess it sort of explains why his penalty was only 3 spots.

The race: Wow, just wow. Leclerc is finding his pace very quickly, and should be pushing Ferrari to re-examine who their #1 driver is (right I'd say neither). Vettel made a great start, but man he couldn't keep it together. The spin was something we'd excoriate Grosjean for if he did the same thing.

Leclerc: We heard during the race that it was the battery system; after the race I read that it was actually an engine problem. Not a good start for the year if they're already having to replace PU components. But his performance has been exceptional to date.

Renault: Again, just wow! What happened? Hulk's failure sure sounded mechanical: either engine or drivetrain? And Riccardo's failure was the first time I've seen the "car unsafe" LEDs flashing. What it the world are they going to do if the car is upside down and that happens?

Mercedes: What to say? They weren't the fastest, but they fought when needed (Hamilton and Vettel), performed their pit strategies excellently (altering their strategy when RB pitted Verstappen early, Ferrari did as well), and maximized the constructor's points. But they're slow. As Hamilton said "we've got work to do."

I still think there can be a good fight between the top 3 manufacturers, but Ferrari is going to have to stop the bleeding soon or they won't be able to make up the difference.

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:27 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Hi Mike,

Some details about the "yellow and black" (yellow and black, Renault):

Hülk had another mapping problem, engine getting security position, problem occurred at Hülk on Saturday in Q. P17 at the start, in one lap Hülk passed 5 competitors and P6 before his failure.

Ricci: still the MGU-K with a bad strategy but P7 before its failure.

Renault is once again becoming competitive, it is undeniable, but some PU components lack reliability. The big boss, have to fire "La Bite Boule" and Rémi Taffin, chief engine manufacturer. "La Bite Boule" was Ghosn's spy, we have to close this chapter. Hope the new big boss the count (he is really) Senard will fire this 'incapable' ! Here the 'Bite Boule' bashing continues in the french sport papers.

Sainz: gearbox issue.

Leclerc at the finish: "I'm glad I had the Safety Car at the end, otherwise we would have finished even further away, and I don't think we would have had enough fuel". It is serious to learn that Féfé had underestimated the fuel load! (To perform).

I shall have a good one today, I shall be at Le Mans circuit this pm.

Bye

Last edited by BKorsaire; 04-01-2019 at 03:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:40 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
Leclerc at the finish: "I'm glad I had the Safety Car at the end, otherwise we would have finished even further away, and I don't think we would have had enough fuel". It is serious to learn that Féfé had underestimated the fuel load! (To perform).
I expect the fuel consumption issue was due to the failed cylinder. I have virtually NO idea how the fuel injection system works in an F1 engine, but the engines in our beloved 'Vettes will see the unburned oxygen coming out of a failed cylinder, think that bank of the engine is lean, and enrich the mixture. Again, not saying that the F1 engines work that way, but I can see how a failed cylinder will increase fuel consumption.

Not to mention the system apparently disallowed harvesting during this failure mode.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-01-2019, 12:48 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

leclerc was told to stay behind vettel and he ignored order

https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/01/...behind-vettel/