Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Is the Stewards decision on the Vettel penalty published online anywhere? Seems like someone on this thread or the other one used to publish official decisions like that.

Apparently the stewards saw some things that led them to believe that Vettel checked his mirror and moved toward Hamilton just after regaining control. See https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...nalty-decision

I also think that Vettel could have won the race in spite of the penalty (no matter what you think of the penalty). Instead of whining on the radio, he should have focused, put his head down, and drove faster. He had about 3 seconds on Hamilton and 11 or 12 laps remaining in the race when his team told him about the penalty. They were telling him to focus, head down, drive faster. Instead, he drove around whining on the radio about how unfair it was and how they were "stealing his victory." He had enough time and the car capable of winning in spite of the penalty. He chose to be a whiner instead of being a winner.

BTW, others (some with more authoritative opinions than me) agree on this. See https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...--nico-rosberg
Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
The leader of the race lost his concentration when his closest competitor was within 0.6 seconds and looked, at least to these eyes, that he, Vettel, would soon be passed by Hamilton using DRS. When Vettel ran off the road, he didn’t do what the vast majority of drivers would do, and that is to back off of the throttle slightly in order to help regain control of the car. Instead, Vettel kept his foot down and proceeded to re-enter the racing surface in what was undeniably an unsafe fashion, which is a direct violation of F1 rules, causing a competitor to have to brake in order to avoid a collision; one that would have taken both competitors out in a very tight area with a wall on both sides.

Regardless, I really wish that the Stewards had made Vettel give up the position and let them slug it out on the racing surface; something Hamilton surely would have preferred.

Bish
We're on opposite sides of this. I don't think Vettel deserved the penalty. Did Hamilton have to brake? Yes, but watch the gap at the next braking zone. Only a couple car lengths. What this tells me is that the brake apply was not significant, IE not a full brake apply. Because Hamilton was able to keep accelerating at a pace that closely matched the Ferrari. So did he get squeezed? Yes. Was he trying to avoid a collision? Yes. Did Vettel screw up and put the race in the hands of the stewards? Yes. But did the way he came back on the track constitute unsafe? No, in my opinion.

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Frankly, I don't know either.
Less rules, maybe?
I just don't know...
But I do know who wins and who doesn't should be decided on-track, not in a jury box.
Let the drivers sort it out on track, NASCAR style. The teams will hate it, because there will be a lot of broken carbon bits, but such is life, if you don't want the stewards penalizing every little thing.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:02 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

How should F1 eliminate stewards' inconsistent calls?
Honestly, about the only thing I can see to do is make the out of bounds lines (whatever those are, that's inconsistent as well) monitored electronically and have a computer make the call. If a car forces you to take evasive action then the stewards can override the computer. Otherwise the violation is enforced. It's kinda like what NASCAR does on pit lane violations now.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-11-2019, 03:06 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by mattastick
Let the drivers sort it out on track, NASCAR style. The teams will hate it, because there will be a lot of broken carbon bits, but such is life, if you don't want the stewards penalizing every little thing.
Lewis didn't want to overrun the chicane at Monaco in 2016 and Vettel didn't want to go off track at Canada, if the Monaco off wasn't a penalty this certainly wasn't.

In my opinion let them race if they happen to go off track let them try gather the car back and race on, no penalty.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I just watched the 2016 Monaco video at no time did Lewis leave the track and while coming back on almost push Daniel to the wall. While on the track after the off he did protect his position but Daniel was behind him. This is not the same thing as Canada.

Last edited by pjazz; 06-11-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:25 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by pjazz
I just watched the 2016 Monaco video at no time did Lewis leave the track and while coming back on almost push Daniel to the wall. While on the track after the off he did protect his position but Daniel was behind him. This is not the same thing as Canada.
No he cut the chicane and had more control than Vettel then actively blocked which is far more deserving of a penalty.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Here is the 2016 Monaco video:

Yes, he did cut the chicane.
Did he block or not?

As far as Vettel is concerned, simply hitting the grass in slicks at over 100mph is penalty enough IMO.
No way could he have been in COMPLETE control when he first hit pavement again.
This is why a penalty shouldn't have been issued.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:50 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Lewis didn't want to overrun the chicane at Monaco in 2016 and Vettel didn't want to go off track at Canada, if the Monaco off wasn't a penalty this certainly wasn't.

In my opinion let them race if they happen to go off track let them try gather the car back and race on, no penalty.
Bingo.
Let 'em race.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Then what's the point of the chicane if there's no penalty?

On a different note, my wife and I have started watching "The 24 hour war" (available with Amazon Prime) ahead of LeMans. Good documentary between Ferrari and Ford!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-12-2019, 09:10 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

No he cut the chicane and had more control than Vettel then actively blocked which is far more deserving of a penalty.
Not disputing Lewis cutting the chicane but he didn't push Daniel into the wall during the process..

Last edited by pjazz; 06-12-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by pjazz
Not disputing Lewis cutting the chicane but he didn't push Daniel into the wall during the process..
Only because Daniel slowed substantially and cutting the chicane can be argued as leaving the track.

Last edited by 93Polo; 06-12-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:46 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Then what's the point of the chicane if there's no penalty?

On a different note, my wife and I have started watching "The 24 hour war" (available with Amazon Prime) ahead of LeMans. Good documentary between Ferrari and Ford!

Have a good one,
Mike
Whichever side you are on penalty no penalty, if Monaco was not deserving the other certainly was not

Last edited by 93Polo; 06-12-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGzDkb3UW0w

Did he block or not?

As far as Vettel is concerned, simply hitting the grass in slicks at over 100mph is penalty enough IMO.
He had enough control to move @ left and block Hamilton (yeah that is against the rules) As for that juvenile childish crap he pulled after the race finished.... Is this how a 4 time WC is supposed to behave? I think the 2 points towards his license is a good start.

How about back @ 2017 @ US GP when Verstappen went off track (tbh he had nowhere to go but...) and overtook Raikkonen for 3rd place. I seem to recall him getting a 5 sec penalty for this and thus moving back from 3rd to 4th. Somehow I dont recall him pulling any melodramas but hey.... That suited Ferrari perfectly did it not?

Last edited by Lavender; 06-12-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:56 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGzDkb3UW0w

Did he block or not?

Hamilton had been all over the back of Vettel for a couple of laps and was well positioned to potentially pass in a lap or two under DRS. Vettel makes a complete ****-up going into a tight corner; and instead of trying to regain control whilst off the racing circuit, he, Vettel, keeps his foot flat on the gas coming back onto the racing circuit in an unsafe fashion, causing Hamilton to have to brake and leave the racing circuit to avoid an accident.

Should there be no penalty for Vettel losing the car in the corner when under pressure from a competitor, and then not trying to regain control of the car in a safe fashion? Not in my book.

Bish
Old 06-12-2019, 11:16 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Hamilton had been all over the back of Vettel for a couple of laps and was well positioned to potentially pass in a lap or two under DRS. Vettel makes a complete ****-up going into a tight corner; and instead of trying to regain control whilst off the racing circuit, he, Vettel, keeps his foot flat on the gas coming back onto the racing circuit in an unsafe fashion, causing Hamilton to have to brake and leave the racing circuit to avoid an accident.

Should there be no penalty for Vettel losing the car in the corner when under pressure from a competitor, and then not trying to regain control of the car in a safe fashion? Not in my book.

Bish
No, Vettel didn't deserve a penalty. This was a racing incident. He was doing everything that any racer is going to do when put in the same situation: do everything possible to not lose the position. Period. Did you (Vettel) screw up? Yes. How do you (Vettel) respond to that? Minimize the mistake and stay ahead of your opponent. Period. That's the only thing that matters to a racer at that point. A lesser driver would have handed the win to LeClerc in that situation by taking out both cars. But these are 2 multi time world champions, and they sorted it out. Hamilton had 9 laps after the incident to get past Vettel and was unable, before he found out Vettel was getting the penalty. It didn't happen. That tells me that Hamilton wasn't going to get by, unless Vettel screwed up again.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:11 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
As for that juvenile childish crap he pulled after the race finished.... Is this how a 4 time WC is supposed to behave? I think the 2 points towards his license is a good start.
Agreed.

How about back @ 2017 @ US GP when Verstappen went off track (tbh he had nowhere to go but...) and overtook Raikkonen for 3rd place. I seem to recall him getting a 5 sec penalty for this and thus moving back from 3rd to 4th.
A good example to bring up.
Somehow I dont recall him pulling any melodramas but hey.... That suited Ferrari perfectly did it not?
It did.

Hamilton had been all over the back of Vettel for a couple of laps and was well positioned to potentially pass in a lap or two under DRS. Vettel makes a complete ****-up going into a tight corner; and instead of trying to regain control whilst off the racing circuit, he, Vettel, keeps his foot flat on the gas coming back onto the racing circuit in an unsafe fashion, causing Hamilton to have to brake
True.
and leave the racing circuit to avoid an accident.
I didn't see that...here is the video again:

Should there be no penalty for Vettel losing the car in the corner when under pressure from a competitor,
Yes, the grass is the penalty IMO.
and then not trying to regain control of the car in a safe fashion? Not in my book.
I think he WAS trying to regain control (there's room for disagreement here ).

Originally Posted by mattastick
No, Vettel didn't deserve a penalty. This was a racing incident. He was doing everything that any racer is going to do when put in the same situation: do everything possible to not lose the position. Period. Did you (Vettel) screw up? Yes. How do you (Vettel) respond to that? Minimize the mistake and stay ahead of your opponent. Period. That's the only thing that matters to a racer at that point.

Hamilton had 9 laps after the incident to get past Vettel and was unable, before he found out Vettel was getting the penalty. It didn't happen. That tells me that Hamilton wasn't going to get by, unless Vettel screwed up again.
Hamilton admitted post-race he couldn't get past Vettel during the final laps.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:36 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Max was being overly optimistic trying to overtake and end up using a large curb. I have mixed feelings on this one which is why I like a grass then asphalt runoff. If you can make it stick on the grass good for you but giving them runoff to abuse opens the door for questionable calls. It isn't the same series but Zanardi's pass at Laguna Seca comes to mind. It is widely regarded as a brilliant move. However, using Max's precedent would be deemed illegal and a penalty. You have to leave room for amazing moves but as in Zanardi's case the track gives the move real risk.

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 12:38 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

The Stewards should have made Vettel give up the position to LH and then let the two of them fight it out on track.
That is precisely what I would have done
Old 06-12-2019, 12:39 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by D K
That is precisely what I would have done
I would have had much less of a problem with this.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Except he DIDN'T gain a position, did he?

you could look at it like he did.

He would have surely lost a position if there was a wall, a sand trap, or anything else.

Either way, Hamilton would have been ahead following Sebs mistake