Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 10:12 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Are you trying to tell us words fail you?
Somehow, I doubt that...

Words, never. The *right* words, well, you need to talk to my wife about that one.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-22-2019, 09:06 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,275 Likes on 794 Posts

Bottas is back. Extreme degradation of the red tyres. A lot of team will try to pass to Q3 in yellow. Magnifique weather anywhere in France these last and days to come.

Q
Enormous Q3 by Ham V, track record. Good job of the Mc. The race will be hard for the stint in red tyres on this track very technical with warm and wind on ghe plateau of Signes. A lot of mistakes V4 perhaps because of the modes

Last edited by BKorsaire; 06-22-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:36 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Another Qualifying yawner...excepting McLaren.
Kudos to them today and for their season so far.
They have steadily improved and are the big story of this year's Best of the Rest.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:49 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 06-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Another Qualifying yawner...excepting McLaren.
Kudos to them today and for their season so far.
They have steadily improved and are the big story of this year's Best of the Rest.
McLaren are...interesting to say the least. Its funny how they started going up after Alonso left them. Im happy for them! Hopefully next year they can fight for a championship!
Old 06-22-2019, 05:26 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lavender
McLaren are...interesting to say the least. Its funny how they started going up after Alonso left them. Im happy for them! Hopefully next year they can fight for a championship!
To do that, Renault will have to turn it up a notch or 2.
Obviously, they are on the right track with their chassis.

It's great to see them no longer as a joke on the grid.
To think they could have had the MB powerunit in the back of their car from the very beginning.
A lot of prize money went down the toilet...
Old 06-22-2019, 06:56 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 06-22-2019, 08:28 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by D K:
BKorsaire (06-23-2019), Lavender (06-23-2019), sunsalem (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 04:42 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

To do that, Renault will have to turn it up a notch or 2.
Obviously, they are on the right track with their chassis.

It's great to see them no longer as a joke on the grid.
To think they could have had the MB powerunit in the back of their car from the very beginning.
A lot of prize money went down the toilet...
Im sure Renault can make it work. Perhaps not at the start of next year but closely after. You mention they couldve have had MBs powerunit...so could RedBull. Imagine Merc RB and McLaren with that freakin engine. Now that wouldve been epic!
Old 06-23-2019, 06:10 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

I'm frantically trying to put in a lawn sprinkler system before the next round of storms, so I didn't get to watch qualifying until late last night. What the heck happened to Vettel? I didn't hear them discussing anything, and LeClerc was excellent in 3rd, so what happened this time?

Thanks, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-23-2019, 06:50 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

V4 missed a gear change and thought it was a gearbox problem. It is said at Le Castellet that there would be a problem with the oil pump. One thing is for sure, he hasn't been in the rhythm and the perf of Leclerc shows that this on this difficult circuit, Leclerc is superior to V4 because he dominated it all the we. In the race, V4 will fight with the Salzburg Cans.

Ham V seems to be at the top of his art. Just one move of tyre scheduled for the best strategy.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:54 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Thanks! I heard about the gear change, but how can a driver "miss" a gear change with these transmissions? I wonder if he didn't pull the lever hard enough? Seems doubtful, but I guess possible.

It's getting light enough for me to get to work, looks like I've got about 5 hours or so before the rains hit. So I'll be watching the race later today.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-23-2019, 11:02 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

A new doublé for Merco, 6th. What to say ? Ham V did his job, perfectly, sorry for his competitors but they have to work night and day with the good strategy.

The Renault PU is finally working well. There is progress on the chassis. The tires for the Hulk were changed 1 lap later. Haas, a real problem. Bobo in the last lap, better tire management of Charles. But what a mastery of the future Ham VI. Only 8 GP and 141 points gap for Féfé...

Last edited by BKorsaire; 06-23-2019 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bcmarly (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 02:36 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Can someone help me out here?
For the life of me I can't remember a more boring F1 race.

What a waste of 2 hours...
This Battle of Engineers is ruining the sport.
nickTsandman (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 05:19 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 06-24-2019, 05:55 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Lessons following the GP of Le Castellet.
Everyone complains about Merco's domination. But is it Merco's fault if its technical and people management is superior to the other teams? What Merco, Féfé, Salzburg Cans, McL, Renault do can do. It is very difficult to maintain the highest level of car racing over such a long period of time. We must pay tribute to this team, which has an approach without any arrogance and knows how to question itself at each race, taking into account that nothing is certain. We must criticize the losers and not the winner, Friedrich Nietzsche would say it better than me. The tires in management mode after "laps for red, blistering etc. Pirelli is not in question but the regulations imposed by the FIA, yes. A return to a battle between Pirelli and Michelin would do F1 a lot of good

With the arrival of Seidl, I think McL is on the right slope (hydraulic problem for Lando with è laps to go) but what about Haas ! Other than that the shipwreck continues, the reading of the team's ranking is edifying: before last. This proves that buying an F1 kit is not always a guarantee of success. As for Honda, the Perfs are there but with a disposable engine faster than the others. At some point, the penalties will fall. Renault seems to have put its finger on the good development of the PU, McL's results show it, the chassis still has to be taken care of, too bad for the Aussie and Renault but Dura Lex sed Lex, there are limits to the track... The best for the end: Féfé had brought a lot of new aéro parts but had to go back to the old specs that worked better than the new ones. Rumours at Le Castellet mention Vasseur at Féfé's, it would be a real bomb if it materialized and that V4 is no longer unaware of his discomfort about the multiple and repeated difficulties he faces in a Scuderia for which he is the #1 pilot in a very high pressure environment. Everyone here is talking about his retirement at the end of the season.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 06-24-2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Aéro
thebishman (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:01 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

My take on the race:

Mercedes and Hamilton are unbeatable; in combination they're simply the best week after week. That's not saying they'll win every race, but you've got to be having them in the mix.
Ferrari and LeClerc have real potential, IF Ferrari can get their heads out of their politics just long enough to take off their Vettel-colored glasses.
Vettel has lost "it". Hist post-race interview on the ESPN coverage (once again a shout out to Mothers for sponsoring these races commercial-free!) was unusual, in that he acted comfortable with fifth.

Haas, oh, Haas. Let's just leave it at that.

McLaren: Great performance for the past several races! I wonder if dropping Alonso is reaping benefits, or if they finally just turned the corner?

Renault: Making quite a bit of improvement since the first of the year. I think DR would have avoided the penalties if he'd given back the positions he gained when he went off track.

And a shout out to Lando Norris. Superb drive bringing the car home PERIOD. To drive a car with flaky shifting and failing power steering is one thing, but throw in variations in how the diff locks and releases on corner entry and exit, and it was an impressive drive!

So, several stories in the race that were covered pretty well by Sky Sports, I thought.

Have a good one,
Mike
thebishman (06-24-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 11:46 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

meh put Rosberg in a MB, a few head games later Lewis will be making mistakes.

Bottas plays the quiet teammate who thinks he can win on effort.

Last edited by 93Polo; 06-24-2019 at 11:47 AM.
sunsalem (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:19 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
Lessons following the GP of Le Castellet.
Everyone complains about Merco's domination. But is it Merco's fault if its technical and people management is superior to the other teams?
As long as we overlook the jump MB's engineers had on other manufacturers pre-2014, no one now is saying MB is at "fault."
The complaints center around the fact this isn't a sport about competition between athlete/drivers...it's a technology competition.
Of course, it's just my opinion and YMMV.
We must pay tribute to this team, which has an approach without any arrogance and knows how to question itself at each race, taking into account that nothing is certain.
Again, no is denying their brilliant engineers and management (Toto) is very savvy.
We must criticize the losers and not the winner.
Already been done.
How much criticism has been leveled at Ferrari, Renault, Honda, McLaren, etc. the last 6 years?

A return to a battle between Pirelli and Michelin would do F1 a lot of good
ANOTHER engineering battle?
Oh, hell no.
F1 has enough problems with its reliance on guys who carry slide rules in their shirt pockets...

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
My take on the race:

Mercedes and Hamilton are unbeatable; in combination they're simply the best week after week. That's not saying they'll win every race, but you've got to be having them in the mix.
Ferrari and LeClerc have real potential, IF Ferrari can get their heads out of their politics just long enough to take off their Vettel-colored glasses.
Vettel has lost "it". Hist post-race interview on the ESPN coverage (once again a shout out to Mothers for sponsoring these races commercial-free!) was unusual, in that he acted comfortable with fifth.

Haas, oh, Haas. Let's just leave it at that.

McLaren: Great performance for the past several races! I wonder if dropping Alonso is reaping benefits, or if they finally just turned the corner?

Renault: Making quite a bit of improvement since the first of the year. I think DR would have avoided the penalties if he'd given back the positions he gained when he went off track.

And a shout out to Lando Norris. Superb drive bringing the car home PERIOD. To drive a car with flaky shifting and failing power steering is one thing, but throw in variations in how the diff locks and releases on corner entry and exit, and it was an impressive drive!

So, several stories in the race that were covered pretty well by Sky Sports, I thought.

Have a good one,
Mike
Won't disagree...now tell us if this was an EXCITING race?
Old 06-24-2019, 12:21 PM
sunsalem
Race Director