Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

He shoots!
He scores!
...oops, wrong sport.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 05:32 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Good attitude... I also wonder if this reserve ride thing keeps Kubs from having to hand back all that insurance money...

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/146798-...m-reserve-role

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-17-2018, 06:10 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Heck... Danica Patrick is out of work at the moment!
No she is getting worked. By Aaron Rodgers.
The following users liked this post:
D K (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:07 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
It's important to remember Alonso very nearly won the first Indy 500 he entered.
This is very insightful...when was the last time an Indy driver went to F1 and almost won an (blue ribband) event??

ON THEIR FIRST TRY

Hmmmmmm......never!

Last edited by D K; 01-17-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:08 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,276 Likes on 794 Posts

He had to abstain from any car racing as a profession. He'll have to pay it back, that's for sure.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 01-18-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:20 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
He had to abstain from any car racing as a profession. He'll have to pay it back, that's for sure.
Yeah, but this isn't racing; it's testing and development. Plus he's been able to compete in other venues, just not F1.

BUT, we're talking insurance law; how arcane could that get?

Have a good one,
Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 01-18-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:23 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
This is very insightful...when was the last time an Indy driver went to F1 and almost won an (blue ribband) event??

ON THEIR FIRST TRY

Hmmmmmm......never!
I recall Alonso saying after getting some test drives in his Indy car how much easier they are to drive compared to the very complicated F1 cars.

We all know what a truly great driver Alonso is.
In spite of starting at the back of the grid so often in 2017, he constantly made the race highlight films with his awesome starts and daring moves on-track.
It will be a sad day for racing fans when he hangs up his helmet.

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Yeah, but this isn't racing; it's testing and development. Plus he's been able to compete in other venues, just not F1.

BUT, we're talking insurance law; how arcane could that get?

Have a good one,
Mike
I'm still going to hold out hope someday we will see Kubica driving in anger in an F1 car again...
Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 PM
D K
Pro

Im pretty sure he is loving her from all angles.

She wont be able to heel and toe for much longer, thats for sure.

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
No she is getting worked. By Aaron Rodgers.

Last edited by D K; 01-18-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:57 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by D K
Im pretty sure he is demolishing her from all angles.

She wont be able to heel and toe for much longer, thats for sure.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:11 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Cosworth hooking up with Aston Martin?
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._Aston_Martin/

Toto Wolff is having a heart attack right about now:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._season_ahead/

Ferrari + MB vs. Liberty?
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._with_Ferrari/

Rosberg says Kubica still has a chance:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...live__Rosberg/

Old 01-19-2018, 06:44 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

FIA sends a big message to Ferrari:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...s_for_Ferrari/

Minimum weight for 2018 car + driver is 1,615 lbs:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...vers_for_2019/
Old 01-20-2018, 12:23 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

I'm shocked, SHOCKED!

Renault's Cyril Abiteboul continues to push for the current Formula 1 engine to remain the basis of the 2021 design, despite others wanting a complete overhaul of the power unit when the current planned cycle concludes.
The Team Principal of the Renault Sport Formula 1 Team says that discussions are still ongoing about the planned 2021 engine regulations, with the initial plans revealed by the FIA at the end of October that would see the removal of the much-maligned MGU-H whilst improving the sound and running speed.
Whilst others in the Formula 1 paddock would rather see the FIA introduce a completely new design of power unit, Abiteboul believes that the current one will suffice as a base unit, and it would be good for a evolution rather than a revolution in power unit regulations.
“No, there’s nothing new. The discussions continue and opinions still diverge,” said Abiteboul to French publication Auto Hebdo. “We need to improve the current engine which has a few things wrong with it. More noise, and more performance.
“Let’s not limit its potential with fuel consumption, component mileage and engine penalties. But above all, let’s keep the current engine as a basis for the future. There’s no need for a 2021 revolution, and nobody wants it.”
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...211_Abiteboul/

Last edited by sunsalem; 01-20-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:25 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,276 Likes on 794 Posts

Excuse me for being rude, but I always thought Abitboul was an idiot ! I don't like this guy at all, and I don't understand why he's still in place ! he pushed Frédéric Vasseur towards the exit because he was better than him: Vasseur won titles with his squires, Abitboul nothing, only word !
Old 01-20-2018, 12:32 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
Excuse me for being rude, but I always thought Abitboul was an idiot ! I don't like this guy at all, and I don't understand why he's still in place ! he pushed Frédéric Vasseur towards the exit because he was better than him: Vasseur won titles with his squires, Abitboul nothing, only word !
I guess we are BOTH rude.
I'm with you about Abitboul, he has done nothing.
He is always looking for excuses.
First it was Flavio Briatore, now it's Lotus:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ls__Abiteboul/
Old 01-20-2018, 12:37 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

MORE proof F1 needs a Dictator (as Bernie once said):

The Ferrari Formula 1 team reportedly threatened to use their veto power when a plan for simple front wings were presented at the Formula 1 strategy group meeting, as the sport continues to find ways to increase the amount of overtaking.
Sources suggest no significant changes took place after the F1 strategy group meeting on Thursday, however changes to aerodynamics were one point of discussion for the 2019 F1 season, and Ross Brawn presented a design of much simpler front wing designs, which could aid overtaking, however Ferrari straight away threatened to use their veto power against this. As a result, the idea was immediately dropped.
Whilst the proposal for a change in front wings on F1 cars was not successful, a revision to the area of the bargeboards on the car was reportedly agreed to, with the purpose of allowing for more advertising space, as proposed by the McLaren Formula 1 team.
As many Renault and Honda powered teams remain concerned about the ‘three engine’ rule for the 2018 F1 season, Red Bull made another attempt at increasing the engine allocation for this year, however it was unsuccessful, and drivers will get grid penalties after the use of three F1 engines this year.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...id_overtaking/
Old 01-20-2018, 12:39 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

The Boys are at it again :

Old 01-20-2018, 01:21 PM
D K
Pro

The problem is that Ferrari feels they are in a position to have an advantage over the whole field and potentially even Mercedes.
They know they have more money to spend than anyone else, so they can ensure their place at the top or near it anyway.

All you would have to do to drastically improve the state of F1 is keep the current engines, remove the mgu-h (I would remove all hybrid systems), remove or relax the 100kg/hr fuel rate and re calibrate the total fuel allowance. Maybe from 100 to 120?
Bring back refueling and introduce some standard parts.

One of the items I would standardize would be the rear diffuser.
As a matter of fact, I would introduce a much bigger undertray with tunnels.
Create much more downforce from under the car and reduce the size (I mean effectiveness) of the rear wing so the overall aero balance remains the same.
Now you can follow a car much closer.

I would also completely re evaluate the tire situation.

Under no circuimstances should the fastest way to the checkered flag be by coasting! Never.

Car should be pushing all the time.

Right now, one of the reasons why its so hard to pass is that there is so much rubber (clag) off line that you have no grip to complete the pass!

By getting rid of the hybrid systems, you could bring the weight of the cars back down to where they belong - less than 600kg.

Cars should be so fast that most drivers wouldnt have the ***** to take a turn like Ea Rouge flat - but the cars could!

It would be great to see the drivers reaching their human limitations and making mistakes under tremendous pressure.

Bring on the action!

Last edited by D K; 01-20-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 03:03 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sunsalem
FIA sends a big message to Ferrari:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...s_for_Ferrari/
Actually, I see it as a new "democratic" leadership (Liberty's BoD) working to oust F1's dictator (Ferrari). Not trying to send them to the firing squad, but putting them in their proper position in F1.

Originally Posted by D K
Bring back refueling ...
Not a great fan of F1 refuelling; those 2.x pitstops are fabulous to watch.

As a matter of fact, I would introduce a much bigger undertray with tunnels. Create much more downforce from under the car and reduce the size (I mean effectiveness) of the rear wing so the overall aero balance remains the same. Now you can follow a car much closer.
Don't think I agree with this. Work is work; to generate downforce you have to tear up the air behind the car. Whether you use undertrays, wings, whatever, when you generate downforce you introduce turbulence behind the car, which causes a following car to have compromised downforce, etc. etc.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-20-2018, 03:27 PM
D K
Pro

Actually, there is a big difference whether the downforce is created by creating a low pressure area under the car or created by an airfoil that disturbs the airflow..
Huge difference.

Look at how closely CART cars used to follow each other..

F1 stayed with a flat bottom (later a plank) because it was easier to police and they were afraid it would turn into another arms race. If the parts were standard, then that would eliminate that problem.

D

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

Don't think I agree with this. Work is work; to generate downforce you have to tear up the air behind the car. Whether you use undertrays, wings, whatever, when you generate downforce you introduce turbulence behind the car, which causes a following car to have compromised downforce, etc. etc.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-20-2018, 04:42 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by D K

All you would have to do to drastically improve the state of F1 is keep the current engines, remove the mgu-h (I would remove all hybrid systems), remove or relax the 100kg/hr fuel rate and re calibrate the total fuel allowance. Maybe from 100 to 120?
Bring back refueling and introduce some standard parts.
Yup, get rid of the mgu-h is a good start.
Get rid of a maximum fuel rate too.
As for re-fueling, it's just too dangerous and not worth getting someone killed over.
UNLESS a very generous amount of time is mandated during fuel stops (x amount of seconds), so the crews are not pushed (where mistakes happen), even to the point of cars sitting idle for awhile.
Of course, this would work out to one re-fueling stop per race for the teams.
As a matter of fact, I would introduce a much bigger undertray with tunnels.
Create much more downforce from under the car and reduce the size (I mean effectiveness) of the rear wing so the overall aero balance remains the same.
Now you can follow a car much closer.
Whatever it takes to reduce the turbulence, I'm in favor of.
We have to have more passing!

I would also completely re evaluate the tire situation.

Under no circuimstances should the fastest way to the checkered flag be by coasting! Never.

Car should be pushing all the time.

Right now, one of the reasons why its so hard to pass is that there is so much rubber (clag) off line that you have no grip to complete the pass!
Having the entire width of the racetrack available for passing would be terrific.
Pirelli could make a tire that is, essentially, indestructible.
However, it would be harder and provide far less grip.
Would fans want to see no more stops for tires during a race?